Training for Strong Legs

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Whipleg, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Whipleg

Whipleg Valued Member

I don't know much about thai boxing, but I've heard a rumor that you have to kick wooden and bamboo poles to strengthen your shins. True or False?

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

False. The best way to toughen up your shins is to roll glass bottles on them!

Seriously though, that's false. Just kick the heavy bag, your shins will get used to it in time and you won't do possible serious injury to your legs.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Get one that's aged where the filling has started to settle and it's nice and hard on the bottom and it's pretty hard anyway :D

4. Whipleg

Whipleg Valued Member

I have one of those standing training bags that you have to fill with sand or water. And I feel like I'm kicking a light pole when I drill leg kicks. Absolutely HATE it, but it does strengthen my legs.

5. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Get a hanging bag if you can? Much, much better. I picked up a used one for 30 bucks.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's a good idea to find a human leg size live tree and train your toe push kick on it.

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

If so then lightly. It's possible to easily damage the ligaments if you go full force without building up slowly.

8. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Kick heavy bags and pads, spar, get a fight and your legs will hurt after .
    That's muay Thai

Doesn't matter how many trees you kick, if you kick someone's knee or elbow at power then you are going to seriously feel it

As a rule, if it's harder than your shin then don't kick it