Training for Kick Boxing/Muay Thai...Jump Rope Question.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KaliKuntaw, Dec 3, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

How many rounds do you skip rope?

Ive been shooting for about 4 nights a week at 3 rounds per work out.
    I was training 6 nights a week but my joints dont dig it.
    I warm up with 3 rounds of shadow boxing and 3 rounds of skipping rope. Typically i train for 12-15 rounds depending on my energy level that day.

I am hoping to perhaps do a little bit of ammy fights in my old age but i am not sure yet. However i will be training heavy whether or not i will fight. At this point im addicted to the work...:hat:

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

We generally do about 15 minutes of skipping followed by about 15 minutes of shadow sparring before moving on to techniques. We have three classes a week (one being a sparring class) at two hours each.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sorry, but unless you post a video in the skipping thread we don't believe you. :D

4. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

My skipping ishorrible!
    Im trying to get the rythm straight.
    Right now it looks like hophoptrip,hophop, trip...lol

5. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

This is a quick video of me trying to use my round timer and it gets unplugged during my jumping.
    So, either i need a new outlet or i have gremlins in the house.

http://vimeo.com/81062602

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nothing wrong with that at all.

A nice relaxed style, which is something I always encourage.

You seem to have a fairly heavy rope there, so you're working that extra bit harder.

If I had to be hyper critical (which I have no right to do) I would like to see your elbows in a bit. I say that, but if you watch my videos my arms come out a bit.

I find though that my shoulders can cramp a bit when the elbows come out.

If you have a smart phone, either Apple or Android, then there are some good free round timer apps available.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That looks like a really heavy rope! My favorite part of the video was "ARRRGGGHH!" Jumping rope can be really, really frustrating. I've thrown my rope across the room on more than one occasion.

You're doing pretty well whether you believe it or not. You look like somebody who has the hang of jumping rope and just needs to refine it a bit. You're hopping a little too high, you're using just a little too much arm to spin the rope, and you're just a little too tense. Just a little bit in those three categories, but put them all together and it'll trip you up (hopping too high is why your'e hitting the ceiling, but it's not like you have a lot of room to work with : P).

Simon mentioned tucking your elbows in, I don't think that's absolutely necessary. Depending on what I'm doing for skipping and the length of the rope I'll bring my elbows in close for slower skipping or to rest my shoulders, but I'll also have my arms damn near straight on a 30 degree angle to rest my wrists and let my shoulders do the spinning. Mostly my elbows are a little further out than what you have them, but when I skip I tend to do it for speed and the positioning I have is optimal for me. Having your elbows out further will also shorten the amount of rope you have which could help prevent you from hitting your ceiling.

Aside from all that, try to not use your arm to spin the rope, focus on just using the wrists. Eventually you'll find a speed for that rope that you'll be comfortable with and you'll be able to do it with little thought or effort. I would also focus on not jumping so high. You're not jumping to the moon or anything, but you could still probably put an inch or two less effort into each skip. You're doing a lot better then what I believe you think you're doing though!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

The rope is leather and i put a bit of tape on the middle to get it to move a little fast. If not it kind of lags. If i bring my arms in more the rope hits the ceiling more and my wife will cut my for messing up our 'good' room...hehehehe

It is one of the rooms we fixed up with new flooring and such.
    Whenn i was a kid i used to skip better. Criss crossing and a lot of fancy stuff, but im not there presently. That is why im critical. Im comparing myself to a' memory that might not be as good as i remember....or was I awesome? Hmmmm
    Yeah I'll go with awesome, that'l do. :)

9. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

The timer is actually a great working , new one from Title.
    The outlet is worn out an i havent put in the new ones. Almost all of the outlets in this house are in need of an upgrade or repair. We are tackling one room at a time as DIY home owners. God willing, it'll be all new outlets and flooring all over the house.

10. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I think i jump too high because of a lack of stamina in this exercise.
    Definately gotta work on it more. Almost two years ago i suffered a
    pretty bad whiplash from a car accident and i had a slow road back to relative normalcy.
    Any jumping or jarring would give me spasms. I'll not have my old range of motion
    but i can get to relatively decent fitness.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  11. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I need to get a set of ropes.

Baza

12. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

In the hood we started with telephone cords. Hehehehe