Training During Illness

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by belltoller, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Well, I hope it's a cold and not some other nastiness brought to you by the rats (tuberculosis, or the likes...) :eek:

I hope you get well soon. :)

Osu!

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Aye, read about it in the papers...plague outbreak in the Ohio Valley...

It would be ironic...to survive a place like the PRC ( I'm certain you know what I mean ) and end up...well. I've had 40.5 C. before...just feels worse.

I'm off. The ibuprophen is wearing mighty thin.

3. Ayyeeeaahhh.... the plague is no joke... :(

OSu!

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

belltoller, get yourself to a doctor soon and ask him about leptospirosis.
    It is a disease carried by rats that has flu like symptoms. It is very dangerous and needs to be detected early.
    I don't want to scaremonger or play home doctor, but I work in an industry that has a lot of awareness in this area.
    Better be safe than sorry.

5. belltoller

Thank you kindly for the info. I had to take my oldest boy to the doctors yesterday. Apparently, the dander from these gd'd things can trigger spontaneous astma attacks...he didn't have one but was wheezing badly.

I'm off to the doc in a few minutes, myself.

Cheers,

6. belltoller

I was being young-in-the-cheek there. No Plague here.

"Ayyeeeeaahhh" - <--- haven't heard that since mother-in-law was here, LOL. For anyone who's ever sat 'round and listened whilst Cantoneese play Ma-Jong.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I tell you what...something's in the air this year.
    Me = Upper chest infection
    The Missus = Chest infection and sinusitis
    Me daughter = Chest infection and an ear infection (poor little mite)

For the last 3-4 weeks. Antibiotics all round but we're all still hacking and wheezing.
    Might try homeopathy next!* :)

*That's a joke.

8. Osu,

Better that way... :)
    There were two cases of Plague in NY a few (5 or 6) years back.
    Both were contracted in New Mexico where it is endemic.

OSu!

9. belltoller

Well, that's nearly done me in. I forgot last time I was on here, but I deteriorated quickly shortly after my last post. Anyone heard of septic arthritis? Never knew there was such a thing. The stuff spread through my system and I began waking up in the middle of the nights with me knuckles and hand joints feeling as if they were in a machinist's vise, my arms felt like they were on fire from the elbow down to the ends of the fingers.

The doctors came in...the way they were dressed, I thought some astronauts had mistakenly gone into the wrong building, LOL. With visions of "28 Days Later" dancing in my head, they spent all of 30.5 seconds with me and sent me out the door with a Px for some odd antibiotics - with dosing schedules similar to the kind you have with steroids.

I'm feeling some better but, intuitively I know they're just keeping our heads above water. I don't think the antibiotics are even close to being strong enough...

Anyroads...hope all is well with everyone :)

10. Ouch... I hope you get well soon Belltoller :0
    Any idea how you caught that bug?

Osu!

11. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I was septic once, due to a gear related abscess. I had a blood born staff infection which nearly killed me. It spread system wide in a moment. I know that sounds all melodramatic but thats what happens when you're stupid. I didnt even imagine I had an abscess. I attributed the pain and swelling to a torn muscle from squatting to heavy. Idiot. Fast forward to me being in post-op ispolation after having the necrotic tissue scrapped out of my hindparts.

Had I not trained, had I properly hydrated and had I gone to seek medical help sooner rather than be stubborn and pretend I knew it all, I could have saved a month of hospitalization, tens of thousands in hospital bills and nearly 30 pounds of lost weight, let alone strength and size gains and the damage to my filtration organs. It was awful. I actually had a drainage valve in my right butt cheek from which to syphon the dead tissue and fluids from.

After seemingly ages on antibiotics and a few rough patches I got better and I was thankful for it.

Like me I hope you will be better for the trials you're enduring now. You have my thoughts and prayers with you and I will ask those who believe in it moreso than myself to carry you in their prayers. Hey, it cant hurt, right?

Hang in there my friend.

12. belltoller

"Nonspecific", "Unknown source(s)", "unidentifiable viral and bacterial pathogens", "we're refering you to someone else, please go away" < --- I get the feeling they're a wee short in the answer dept.

Thankfully, my wife and kids never got it, though I had one kid to get astma like symptoms - though he's not astmatic.

A couple of minutes sitting at the keyboard and my head is spinnin'.

Cheers,

13. belltoller

Thank you kindly for the post, Mike. Yeah, I'm made aware of how frighteningly fast these organisms can go nuclear on ya without warning. Let me ask...after the infections did you're fevers subside, weird heart/respiration rates and so forth? How did they catch it, to be exact? How much kidney damage did you sustain? Reversible?