Training at the Aikikai Foundation

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by jeff00, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jeff00

jeff00 New Member

Hello,

I would like to go and train at the Aikikai Foundation for a 6 month - 1 year duration.

Does anybody know of any cheap accommodation close by.

2. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I must second this. It saddens me as a pioneer of aikido (forty plus years) to see it being emasculated in this manner.None of the original shihan presented the art in this manner.

regards koyo

4. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

The guy in that clip is a student of Sugano Sensei. I have read his interviews in the MA mags here, and he has equally strange views.

Regards,

5. koyo

Not so strange when the interest is in numbers of students rather than standard of students.

Views such as these would be equally strange to them.

Aikido is a dynamic art that cuts directly through the enemy's intention to attack. (O SEnsei)
    True martial artists shall always be in the minority
    Aikido is a confrontation of spirits
    The abilty to kill yet choosing not too (chiba shihan)

I could go on and on. But the remark that it is no longer a martial art really angered me. Completely diluting it to appeal to the majority who do not wish to train hard. Sad really sad.

regards koyo

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

That was pure kandy pants!!!! Why would you waste time doing that crap?

The Bear.

7. koyo

Don't see anything in this photograph that morrors what that fellow was saying.
    Enten jizai attack and defence as one O Sensei Ueshiba.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I wish I could say I never seen as bad in Scotland but I would be a complete liar.
    I'm afriad it's just one of those arts like tai chi that attracts mind body spirit brigade.

The Bear.

9. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Each to their own people... Let them do whatever they wish, you concentrate upon your own path, as they do on theirs; if your paths ever cross then you're in a position to offer your opinions through musubi - contact - not because of a website forum but through mutual training.

Politics are born from opinions - remember that.

10. Daius

Daius Valued Member

first post, hello :)
    ah this stuff really gets my goat, I am new aikido but I have read enough to smell bull when i see it. I have a hard time seeing how these people can get all the way up to high dan grades apparently not knowing what is going on, surely a little reading up on the original teachings of o sensei should alert anyone that something is off key. I just think it's a shame it happened to aikido, you don't see these people doing muai thai... but then i can see why this has happened, people see an old man with a wispy white beard talking about peace and spirit, and an art that can be effective whatever your size, and get carried away and think what they will, from where i'm standing i can clearly see aikido being highjacked. shame

11. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

That's nice I am going to steel that :p Well that is how Mochizuki Kancho learnt Aikido from O'Sensei, steeling his techniques :D

Koyo I am so training with you when I get to the UK. I will do my best to find a conference in Scotland, most likely England, and I am just going to sit down and listen to you for as long as you arre willing to talk.

Your my hero :love:

That's not my school, I went there one time, and I was shown tai no henko, which we don't do in Yoseikan Aikido, and I wasn't doing it right, suprise suprise (I have never done if before), so Huge hit me in the nose to demonstrate that bending forward was wrong! Well I told him what for in front of all of the other students! Then he says that crap on film!

Regards,

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  12. koyo

I have posted two thousand plus and in every one I have been respectfull, even when replying to some who simply posted "your art is crap" etc. But that one is the only one where I felt that someone should speak up.I hate politics but the very nature of aikido is at risk and the years of work and training by O SEnsei's original deshi is being undermind so that some can shape aikido to suit their own timid approach.

AS far as face to face many times I have students visit and say that they do not train against positive attacks . Just last night a fellow came and said he was so tired of the politics in aikido that he was leaving ...... insert..political group. Despite loving aikido he asked if he could train with us and was told simply come and train no politics no gradings no egos.

In the same gym sambo wrestlers were training and the mutual respect between us was also a surprise to him as his group do not accept anyone who has previous experience in martial arts.

End of rant.

regards koyo

13. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

:love:

To me with only 9 years of Aikido it feels like I am not worthy to say, "That’s not what O'Sensei said." Especially to someone in the Aikikai who says this was my teacher and his teacher was O'Sensei. I have my teacher, his teacher was taught by Mochizuki Kancho, who was a student of O'Sensei. I am two generations further removed then them.

14. koyo

ALL of my teachers were direct deshi of O Sensei Ueshiba. I saw aikido as it was taught when it first came out of japan. We had not seen films of O Sensei so did not make the mistake of seeing him and then attempting to emulate him. Nor did any of the shihan attempt to "teach" as O Sensei did.
    Indeed every one of the shihan spoke of the severe and rigorous training they received.I have seen the way aikido has been spread across the world and I have spoken to shihan who said that the philosophy like the techniques must be learned on the mat through the pores of the skin and not in an intelectual manner.
    Anything easily gained is of little value.

regards koyo

15. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Why not go to Glasgow instead and study with Koyo? As good instruction as you will get anywhere. Never understood why people want to go off to China or Japan to learn arts. You can mostly get as good - if not better - instruction in the UK (or America, or many western countries).

Its how you apply yourself to the art that is important, not what continent you are on.

So aye, move to Glasgow! Amazing place for Martial Arts.

16. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Why don't you guys just concentrate on improving yourselves rather than bitching about what another group of people do in their spare time.

The problem with gendai arts including aikido is that there's so much room for personal interpreting of the art, it's ideology and it's waza that the whole thing is now just a mixed bag and, depending upon whom you talk too you'll get the " ..//.. They’re wrong and we're right" crap.

Do I even need to mention the Iwama / Aikikai debate ? I think not.

Time for more keiko, don't you think ?

17. koyo

As I have stated I try to be respectfull at all times. But you make my point yourself when you say that aikido has become a mixed bag.I simply offer a diferent perspective gained from decades of training. My only reason is so that students may see the true value of aikido. Too many have interpretated the art to suit their requirements rather than train sincerely and effectively and develope a deep knowledge of the art first. As you say "opinions" give birth to politics however I had many opinions about aikido in the beginning and only after many years of sincere training have a few of those opinions become beliefs.I have no political interest at all.As you say aikido has become a mixed bag it is this I speak out against and I respect many aikidoka and many budoka who do not train in the same art or manner (technically) as I choose to.I have no problem with that but if it is no longer a martial art as the gentleman stated it is no longer aikido.

regards koyo

back to keiko (I have never stopped in forty plus years)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  18. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

Looks like the older fellow is about to bite the other guy!

Anyhow, you should go spend a year studying Yoshinkan Aikido.

19. koyo

Spent many an hour on yoshinkan tatami and absolutely loved it. Also Dave Rubens was at a loss in Glasgow to find a yoshinkan club and phoned me I took him to my home and organised a class and we had a great time together. Dave had also trained in Iwama with Saito shihan.We enjoyed exchanging views which led to some really good training no mention of what style of aikido. So I agree anyone who can avail themselves of yoshinkan is in for a most enjoyable experience.Incedently I had always thought that Yoshinkan was a bit too "structured"until I trained with David and saw how at a higher level this "structure" paid off in a very powerfull kamae that was not structured (if that makes sense) at all.

regards koyo

David is fifth or sixth dan and translated Shioda Kanchu's book Total aikido. A really nice guy.Even forgave me for the Scottish weather. :)

20. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Enter with form, exit from form ;)

Koyo, are you interested in a holiday down under, we could arange some seminars, maybe we could make you the centre of the WA Aikido Freindship meeting. I know Kensei would be interested two!

Regards,