training and overtraining questions

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Giovanni, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

hey guys.

mods...if this isn't the right place for this, please let me know. another poster (question about running) got me thinking so i decided to ask the community.

i'm trying to get my workout schedule back up and running and have some questions for everyone on my proposed training regiment and general over-training questions.

shooting to compete in bjj this summer. since i've had two kids, my weight and strength have suffered (and the time i can spend training in bjj, but that's another story). previously, when i was in hapkido, my training schedule was this.

sunday: yoga for 2 hours
    monday: 6 mile run
    tuesday: 1 1/2 hours of hapkido (included calisthenics, for a total workout of 2 hours)
    wednesday: 6 mile run
    thursday: 1 1/2 hours of hapkido (included calisthenics)
    friday: 6 mile run
    saturday: 1 1/2 hours of hapkido (included calisthenics)

watched what i ate. everything was great. didn't get injured, nor did i ever think i was over-training, notice there are no rest days. yes, there were some days that i felt more tired than others, i just didn't run as fast, or workout in hapkido as hard or do as many crunches, push ups, etc.

i've found that bjj is much more demanding on the body though. just generally more tired when i'm done. i was thinking of starting back up the running and yoga schedule again though. i want to get down to the right weight-class which will mean losing weight. sure, i'm also planning on watching what i eat. but i also need to burn calories.

is there a very real possibility of over-training? it's confusing to me. some people say "work out every day". some other people say, build in rest days. when i worked out every day, there were days i felt more tired than others. took it as maybe should work out a little less stringently, but didn't stop working out. over time, those tired days were definitely less. and after a few months of working out seven days a week, i, for the most part, felt great and full of energy. didn't get injured either, but i don't do heavy weight training. and maybe i just got lucky.

sorry for the bit of a ramble. but any and all thoughts are appreciated. what do you guys do? train in something every day? or build in rest days around your martial arts schedules?

regards.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I always throw in yoga or stretching in the morning because I find I have a much better day both mentally and physically and always some form work throughout the day. I train something every day but if I need a lower intensity day it's an extra hour of yoga and less form/drill work. I don't believe in a rest from training unless injured, just a rest from the level physical exertion. It's also good to have a variety of things you can train to get around especially sore areas.

For example I can pick from the pool of:
    Regular workout (weights, bodyweight, running, jump rope, etc)
    Forms
    Solo drills
    Yoga (of varying intensities)
    Isometric tension/breath exercises
    Pranayama (breath work)
    Baoding balls
    Indian clubs

So for example if I slightly overtaxed my legs I might work the Indian clubs, baoding balls, and some pranayama exercises. Just work what you can.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

So what is your schedule going to be with the added bjj? I try to train twice a day, and run three times a week, and I'm not in absurdly good shape. Just work your way up to it, train smart and know when to push yourself and when to chill a bit.

4. Giovanni

philo:

on my list above, just replace "hapkido" with "bjj". this is what i'm shooting for. per your comment, i will start with 3 mile runs and work myself back up to 6-8, until i've lost the weight i want, then back down to 3 miles with intervals.

5. greytowhite

greytowhite Valued Member

Perhaps take up an "internal" Chinese art as a good way to learn to relax and generate power more efficiently? Choi Wai Lun has some students in Chicago that are teaching probably the most combat oriented Liuhebafa.

6. philosoraptor

Sounds totally reasonable. Do more bjj though. "All the open mat" and all that.

7. Giovanni

why did you say that? i hate the durn "open mat". lots of opportunity to get owned. ;) god, i hate bjj. and love it.

oh, and i've been doing some boxing too. forgot to add that to the list.

what kind of symptoms should i look for in over-training? aside from injuries? is just general tiredness a symptom?

8. philosoraptor

I just feel like poop when I overtrain. Things hurt, I'll be stiff and limping, my muscles will be burning, joints will ache and I can't walk up stairs. When I wake up the next day, I can't sit up using my abs and have to roll/shuffle myself out of bed. You want to hit that sweet spot of being exhausted after practice, but you wake up the next day ready for more jits.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

weight loss is 90% diet!

10. Giovanni

that's my biggest problem zaad. when i read this last night, i cursed you--because you're absolutely right. after the replies and writing down my thoughts, which actually helped crystallize what i'm thinking quite a bit, i've decided to change up the schedule.

bjj 3 or 4 times per week, regularly. not going to be easy with 2 kids, wife and career. but can be done. my plan is to compete this spring and fall. maybe 1 run during the week, and after a month or so, start with intervals. light yoga in the morning every morning to stretch out, and once or twice per month to really work out flexibility and strength. but i'm going to make sure to put in a couple rest days during the week. i'm 42 after all.

and then....gulp....watch what i eat to take off the weight and compete.