Training after a graveyard duty (10pm-6am), is it ok?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by pinoy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

hi guys, i dunno if my query ist that great compared to threads posted here. But am just curious & want to get your opinion. Am working on a shifting job, this month am on graveyard shift or 10pm-6am shift. Because I really love training sticks, & my body is really looking forwad to some swinging :bang: . I trained almost everyday w/ my GM. However, it is only now I tried training after a graveyard shift. I just dring vitamins + red bull (energy drink) to let me borrow some strength even am "puyat" (lacking in sleep). I chose this training so after I go home, I just sleep my butt of the, wake up & go to office in the evening again, rather than, after my duty, sleep at home, wake up around 3pm, train til 6-7pm, go home, not having much rest then i will take a bath. They said I could have "pasma" (what is that in english?, sorry unable to translate).

So far, I don't feel anything bad while training after my g-shift, however, in the long run.. :confused: i dunno.

some thoughts from you guys would really help :p tnx

2. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Train when you can. Your body will get used to it.

3. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

thanks sir!! I will :bang: :bang: :bang:

:D

4. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I've never hit a graveshift before, but sometimes I stay up until 6am and then sleep well into the afternoon and train then. But if you normally train after work, then train after work, why not? Does it matter what time of day you work? As long as you get enough rest you should be fine, I think.

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The more you train, the better you get, I don't matter what time of day or night you train, you will improve all the same. improvement is not worried about time so as the others have said, train when you feel it best suits you, then you will be a happy person too.

There is nothing worse than going training when you feel you are not up to it, and if you do go when you are really bushed then you may well only get 10% benefit from your training as opposed to 100% when you feel at your most alert.

Best of luck on your G-Shift, lucky for me I done them many years ago and gave them up as a bad habit.

Best regards

Pat

6. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

Scarlett Mist, Sir Pat thanks for your advice :p

7. Spunjer

Spunjer Valued Member

pinoy,

i'm working shifts myself. i try to avoid training after getting off midnites, since i'm so tired that whenever i train, i'm pretty much just going with the motions, know what i mean? but if you must, one thing you can do is trick your body. if you must train after work, do this: sleep as late as you can, so if you start at 10 pm, sleep until 9 (of course, that depends on your travel time and 'umagahan', but regardless sleep as late as possible). you might feel like doodoo for the first couple days but eventually you'll get use to it (well, you actually never do, but you'll be able to tolerate it much better). if you're planning on training at night, just do the reverse, sleep as soon as you get home. hope this helps...

8. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

yup after my training early morning, eat my lunch, rest, then doze off till 8pm then go to office by 9pm, just as yous said, reverse the process, :D , ty. I think I'll get out of this ok, this is only for one month & only 3 (months) times a year.

ty spunjer :Angel:

9. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

graves

Hi,
    Im training after my graveyard shift also.
    Because im usually so tired after the shift I am working on a preset routine to develop the things I need to work on more. That way Im not having to do too much thinking about what I need/want to do that workout. I find that it works out pretty good for me.
    Lately Ive been hitting the footwork patterns and working more on combinations involving kicking and defenses. I find that I have a tendency to just stick with hand strikes and I want to break out of the habit.
    Ive been working on it for a couple of weeks now and Im getting a bit of a groove happening.
    Im only training twice on the weekdays and have dropped off on my weight training workouts to three times a week. Just so I dont overtrain or burnout.
    Gord :D

10. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I am looking into joining the police force so this is very relevent to me in a few years.

Training at anytime does not matter really. Of course if you are so tired that your gonna fall asleep at any moment then its probably not going to help.

Try making a nice fruit shake with some fat in it to give you some energy before you train. You could use it before you train regardless what the time is.

Here is what I like to drink. I used to use it as a post workout drink but found out that it did absoultly nothing except energise me so I could continue for the rest of the day. This week i have been experimenting and I find that my stamina and alertness through training has improved ten fold.

Banana
    Apple
    Kiwi Fruit
    Coconut Milk
    Freshly squeesed orange juice.

The orange must be squeesed fresh, not the bottled dead crap. The other fruits are left whole. Use whatever ratio you want, and add whatever you want to it. Trust me, this stuff will give you energy for atleast 2hrs and you will not have a sugar crash like with the Red Bull.

11. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

hey thanks for the advise, but sometimes, i feel that am not that alert when training, slow in picking up movements taught, but sometimes only :D , so my GM sometimes get irritated :bang: , hahaha. but its ok. I also train weekdays, mon-frin except on wednesday, 4 days a week, & if i have nothing to do at home on off, i try to teach my brother or train w/ my friend, but it doesn't involve much work out compare when am training w/ my instructor. But I notice, I kinda eat a lot than before after training :eek: , is taht ok, am afraid i'll be fat instead of maintaining my body :D

12. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

hi knightcommander, tnx for the visit & advice too, yup fruit juices are ok, natural as it is, however, my budget is low :cry: , cash stripped :D . A redbull would cost me Php 32.00 ($1= Php 54.00 -/+) + pharmaton vitamins (w/ ginseng) is Php 19.00, that is almost Php50.00, less than a dollar. But ill heed your advise after am ok w/ my budget, thanks :Angel:

13. NaughtyKnight

No worries mate.

I hear your problem, Im as broke as a joke at the moment :cry:.

14. deCadena

deCadena New Member

it is best to arrange a set schedule for your training for your body to acquaint itself. First, let me suggest that you do it in the midafternoon. before work let say 1300 to 1500 then get some rest to recuperate prior to work. you could always train lightly during workdays and swing away during fridays.

CHeers!

15. NaughtyKnight

Yeah, thats a good idea. I find that if I train when I wake up for a few weeks, my body wakes up easier and is ready for the harsh work I'm going to put it through. Just make sure you have a nice feed before hand.

16. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

tnx mate, yup you're right, that time is much better, however, majority of the time if am on graveyrad shift, when i got home after duty, i can't sleep, am still in active mode so to speak :woo: . so if im unable to sleep by morning after my duty, i can't train by afternoon, much worse i'll just sleep in my work :cry: .

but anyways, tnx for all the advise :D "kampay" :D

17. narra

narra Valued Member

Dude,

As long as your body can take it go ahead and train. My work involves a shifting schedule also, since I'm in the I.T. department of a company. At first it's hard but you'll get used to it, like I did. I you don't feel right just stop a take a breather.

I drink an energy drink before and during my training or sometimes do some aerobic exercises or weights for warm up. Then proceed with my main work out.

What kind of FMA do you practice?

18. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

o hi narra, yup i got used to it, drink an energy drink + vitamins, am now on 2nd shift. our GM teaches us 4 style, tersia serrada espada y daga (or LSAI), modern arnis, cinco terros & kasilagan :rolleyes: .

how bout u? and where do you train?