train everyday benefits and drawbacks?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by roninmaster, May 16, 2016.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

Hello all. My work schedule is changing and I will soon be able to essentially train almost every day.

I'm going to a standard 9-5 tuesday-Saturday which will allow me to train everyday except saturday.

I currently strength train on a 3 day split usually tuesday- thursday ( Bodybuilding.com program lee labrada 12 week plan ) Schedule only allows for me to make it to jiujitsu for an actual class twice a week. ( 3 with a sunday night judo class.)

My new schedule allows for training in either judo, thai, or BJJ almost everyday depending on what class is offered.

I want to take advantage of what works best for my goals. My goals are to compete in BJJ and judo at least 6 comps a year, and 3 MMA fights within the next 2 years. I'm currently 25 and want to make a run for big comps before the 30's are on there way. So my questions are:

1.) What can I expect to come from training so often so much. Did anyone who began a daily training regiment notice any specific differences. How did your body feel.

2.) Will I get weaker? I currently don't know what to do about my strength training. I want to keep getting stronger, as well as go down to middlweight. ( currently a heavyweight). I haven't seen much advice in the way of strength training for jits other than yoga, and to "do more bjj".

3.) Any negatives that you believe will begin to show? My job is a desk job. So the training would be:

Sunday ( no work ): judo class. Monday( no work ) :BJJ class. Tuesday( evening :Muay thai, and bjj with strikes.) Wednesday( nogi): .Thursday(thai): .Friday(BJJ ): .Saturday ( rest )

As I mentioned I don't really know how to incorporate a BJJ strength training program, or how much/often I should do it with everything else considered.

Please provide any input you feel is necessary.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Quite achey all over. Its great for the first couple of weeks, then suddenly you realise you have a life to live and the sudden mountain of clothes you're washing appears every other day. Also how many Gis do you have?

Weaker as in strength? Read up on over training, where once again, you're great for the first couple of weeks or so...then suddenly you're not progressing.

Rest is a key part of training, that is widely over looked.

As above. A mountain of clothes. Probably looking at around 2 showers or so a day.
    No energy/motivation for stuff like, cooking, eating, cleaning. Time constraints.

Last week. I worked a 42hr work week (shifts).
    3 grappling classes
    2 Muay Thai classes
    2 weight sessions (Chest/Arms) (Back/Legs) About 80% of max weight but with explosive action.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

First, you will need to decide which "bread and butter moves" that you want to develop. You then find a correct training path to help you to get there. For example, if you depend on

- hip throw for your throwing,
    - side mount for your ground game,
    - roundhouse kick and jab/cross for your striking game,

you should plan a training program around those basic tools:

- partner drills (develop),
    - sparring/wrestling (test),
    - equipment training (enhance),
    - solo drills (polish).

4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Personally, I wouldn't train every day, and I wouldn't advise any clients to train every day. It doesn't allow for adequate recovery, and recovery is where you repair your muscles. I've had no experience competing in MMA, so I don't know how that training schedule will work for you, but I find that both my grappling and stand up work well when combined with barbell complexes for strength training, you can find some examples on youtube, or any fitness websites. (Although for almost all strength training programmes, take time to work on dead lifts, squats, bench press and over head/ military press. Also, this advice is being given assuming you're healthy to exercise, and that you have good form with weights. if you don't, get a teacher, I accept no responsibility for any injuries you may get while lifting ;)).

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you're working aswell training every day simply isn't going to give you enough time to recuperate. The Thais can get away with training twice a day 6 days a week because that is their job. Is a little different for us unless you plan to train full time.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Eh, I've trained six days a week. It can get dull and you often find that it affects any social life you do actually have. Also have a lot less "good days". You can easily forger you're improving and feel stuck.

But if you've got your head right, crack on. A pro athlete would take at least a day and a half off training, so make sure you factor in days off.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I train 4 to 6 days a week atm, its not hard, but you have to be able to (not always) train lighter to be able to train the next day. Cycle your weeks so you have regular easier weeks, and pick what your priority is now, so you keep focused on that.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

you can train that much, but like deadpool mentioned, some days you'll have to train lighter.

9. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

How many times a week do you all train for strength? I like to lift, and don't want to cancel my gym membership.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Depends on the training cycle, and if I'm maintaining or improving. Maintenance = 1-2x a week. Improving = 3-4x a week.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I spend 0 hours lifting a week. Probably change when I turn pro though. I just don't value it that much.

12. TK-421

TK-421 New Member

With that volume of training, there is a huge potential over time for overtraining, fatigue and injury IMO.

Just read/saw an article on weekly training cycles for MMA athletes that may be of interest to you:

https://fightcampconditioning.com/planning-weekly-training-schedule/

The key takeaway is varying the intensity of the training over the week (H/M/L/Off sessions or days), and ensuring the nervous system is adequately recovered so that technical training does not suffer.

Hope this helps.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Currently the aim is twice a week, although its often just once. You'l be hard pressed to train 5 plus times a week and lift and work and see people socially and have a partner.

14. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Ive recently decided to dial my training back to 3 days per week, (5 sessions) in order to free up time to get back to running and bodyweight conditioning. If I kept to 5 days I'd be on my **** with lifting on top but then I'm 34 and broken ;)

15. TK-421

TK-421 New Member

Training 2x/wk BJJ, plus 2 bodyweight sessions, maybe 1 LSD run per week, and a weights session every 2 weeks for maintenance purposes. So probably no more than 6 sessions per week total. For me this translates into some days with 2 sessions, some days with 1 only, and plenty of rest.

16. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

I train six days a week but only randori/spar/roll four days. The other two are more light technique work. And if I get burned out I drop to four days a week of training and up my lifting a little bit. Then after awhile I get super motivated, cut back on the lifting and go back to six days a week. It kind of goes in cycles for me that way.

17. BJJ Nation

BJJ Nation Valued Member

Training everyday

If you want to compete that much you definitely want to up your training. It looks like you have a couple of rest days planned for recovery which you will need. Training that much means more of everything. More skill, better stamina, more soreness and more injuries. You'll probably be a bit more tired but I don't think it'll affect your job if it's in an office. Give it a shot and see how your body handles it.