Traditional vs MMA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Slihn, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Slihn

Slihn New Member

Hello all.

What are you ideals on Traditional Martials and MMA?

Which one do you prefer over the other and why?

In your opionion what are their strengths and weaknesses?

Do you think it is better to train in one or the other,or have a balanced mix between them both?

I primarly train in Modern Martial Arts (MMA and both Traditional Style and Modern Style Muay Thay) the reason for this is because I believe that it is more practical concentrating on Techniques that can perform at almost combat speed then it is to concentrate on moves that you cannot really truly pratice ,but you have faith they they will work.For example a few techniques that I get to practice and I KNOW will work are: the rear naked choke, all arm locks, Thai kicks , knees and elbows .

While training in a traditional dojo I was often taught "deadly" techniques, but since I never really got a chance to practice them I dont know how effective the will really be,so how would I know that they will even work.Sure an eye gougue will work,but how do you truly know how to distinguish the pressure it takes to temporarily blind someone or cause serious injury or death?

I firmly beilve that being able to practice your techniques near combat speed is the morst effective way of developing them.It is the concept of Randori.Soon after Kodokan Judo was founded the Judokais challenged their "mother" art (one of the reasons Kano created Judo was because most of the techniques he learned in Japanese Jujistu where not able to be practiced at combat speed,and therefor there was little evidence,besides faith,that they even worked.Also Jujitsu did not have any type of strategy) The Judokais almost always won and Kano believe that the reason for this is because the Judokais got to train their techniques constantly at combat speed.That is the way that I feel about Martial Arts training and that is why I personaly prefer "Mordern/MMA" over Traditional.

Another reason I perfer MMA is because most people today fight more like boxers or wrestlers ,abit different than the way people fought thousnads of years ago.

With all of tha being said there are aspects of Traditional Martial Arts that I srtand for.They are the Spirtiuality,the discipline and the honor.The downfall of many "mordern" Studios is that they have lost the spirtuality and honor that follows with traditional arts.(I feel like fighting in a cage is abit degrading to the martial arts.)

Another aspect on Traditional that I stand for is that they teach students not to want to be on the ground,I feel that many mordern schools,see groud fighting as an alternitve,but the fact of the matter is(the way I was taught in Bujikian Taijitsu) that you DO NOT want to be on the ground and the reason why groud fight should be practice is not to try to take it to the ground,but if you end up there you will be so skillful that you will not be there for long.

Also the idea of taking about your opponent quickly apeals to me,espeically when faced against multiple attackers.I think that some "mordern" schools may implement(rather intenional or not) that its ok,to"wait for an opening" or that its ok to "work a technique in" as oppose to taking your opponet or attacker out quickly.

Traditional Arts also often teach weapon defense,which is very important cause now days you never know what your attacke/opponet might be hiding.

My ideal studio would have the practicalness of MMA and the mindset of the seriousness of combat found in the traditional art.

Like in everything in life there should be a balance between the two.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

you might want to use the search button, this topic has been done to death over and over again.

I guess im the only person that can even be bothered posting in it.

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

need we say more...

Official Flame Form for MAP

==================================

Dear:

[ ] Clueless Newbie
    [x ] Loser
    [ ] Previously Banned Member
    [ ] Bruce Lee Wannabee
    [ x] Troll
    [ ] Spammer
    [ ] 13 year old l337 d00d
    [ ] Flamer
    [ ] Whiner
    [ ] Book Taught Loonie

You Are Being Flamed Because:

[x ] You posted a Style Vs Thread
    [ ] You posted a personal attack against a mod
    [x ] You should have used the Search Feature
    [ ] You posted the Real Ultimate Power site again
    [ ] You posted an OMG The Sky is Falling thread
    [ ] You ressurected a long dead, stupid thread
    [ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message
    [ ] You flamed someone and got burnt
    [ ] You posted a thread on Dux Ninjitsu
    [ ] You haven't read the stickies
    [ ] You asked why you can't get into the arcade on your first post
    [ ] You typed in text/leet speak
    [ ] You posted false information then refused to back it up.
    [ ] You posted a video/site we've all seen a thousand times before
    [ ] You posted wildly ridiculous claims, refused to back them up, and had a strop when we asked for proof.

In Punishment, You Must:

[ ] Take down all your Bruce Lee posters
    [ ] Stop posting and go to class 3 times a week
    [x ] Actually post something relevant
    [ ] Read the Damn FAQ
    [ ] Go to your room with no supper
    [ x] Apologize to everybody on this forum (execpt KnightCommander, who loves it!)
    [ x] Stand in the Sin Bin and do kata till you die of boredom
    [ ] All of the above

In Closing, I'd Like to Say:

[ ] Learn to type using ALL the correct letters.
    [ x] Welcome to last week.
    [x ] Press Alt and F4.
    [ ] Can I have your stuff?
    [ ] Don't let the door hit you in the ass.
    [ ] All your base are belong to us. Go every Zig.
    [ ] Stop posting STUPID crap.
    [ ] All of the above.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If Jessica Alba did 'Traditional' and Jennifer Garner did 'MMA' then who would you be cheering for if they had a match? :confused:

PS: in the interests of fairness, then obviously they would both be naked.

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

The organizer. :D

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.... ;)

7. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

I agree, the OP should've used the search function, but in fairness, I think there might be something wrong with it.

I wanted to ask in the FMA forum if FMA hand to hand stuff has ever been used in MMA, but when I typed MMA into the search thing, it says no matches were found. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  8. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Search chains need to be longer than 3 letters, so acronyms like TMA, MMA, JJJ, BJJ, TKD, MT, WMA, FMA etc don't work.

9. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

Ah, thanks mate. :)

Considering how much acronyms are used on this site it seems a bit strange, but I'm not a programmer, so it might be harder than I think.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Since the original poster has, for better or worse, been thoroughly chastized, might as well make something of this thread. (By the way, though, I thought the original poster did make and/or reinforce some good points.)

No, to my knowledge, no FMA empty hands have come into play in MMA yet. Unless perhaps you want to count the two JKD guys who have entered MMA. Eric Paulsen (who, in all fairness, probably depends more on his strong background in submission wrestling) and the other bloke who did so poorly that nobody remembers his name.

Stuart

11. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

That's one hell of an epitaph

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Sorry, Stu, gonna disagree. It's the same tired debate we've seen for years on MAP. The same sweeping generalizations, the same tired cliches, and the same flogging of the deceased equine.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

He advocated "traditional" values coupled with a "modern" training approach. That idea isn't tired to me. But it's cool. We can disagree. :)

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Isn't it though.

No disrespect intended. Nobody will remember my name in martial arts circles either, I shouldn't think.

15. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

It made your point very well

16. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

There is no such thing as TMA or traditional martial arts values.

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yes there is: http://www.the-tma.org.uk/
    but I'm not sure they have martial artists' best interests at heart...

18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

1. The entire concept of "traditional" values is a misnomer, especially in light of the fact that most "TMA"s are only 50-100 years old.
    2. Go over to the Bullshido thread here on MAP. We just debated this concept last week.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  19. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

This entire TMA VS MMA concept is pure crap from the get go...

Jiu Jitsu as a system, can be considered a MMA as it covers most ranges
    Same with my style, Praying Mantis.. 18 systems rolled into one.. Must be MMA!
    Some large filipino systems = comprised of smaller systems.
    Hell even Ninjutsu could be considered MMA if you wanted to look at it from a broader perspective...

Sometimes I wonder how far some of you hung up on this MMA VS TMA debate have your heads up your asses that you can't see past your small intenstines that its all one in the same. And even if you did do UFC/Pride style MMA.. You're mixing a bunch of traditional styles together for chrissakes and claiming to reinvent the wheel...

What the debate should be is MMA VS TMA VS GUN. Now there's a debate I'd love to witness.. "Nuh Uhh! Hughes would so submit that automatic 9mm! UFC is t3h Pwnz0r!"

*mixes vodka with V8 and tabasco* And I'm spent... ;)

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

*sigh*

Okay. I found it interesting. My bad.