Traditional v Modern

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by smithter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. smithter

smithter New Member

Hi,
    i have been looking for a traitional Japanese Ju Jitsu club, as i like the idea of realistic and 'gutter' style hybrid, but can only find Jitsu a modern adaptation of Ju Jitsu, how similar is this? is it as good and effective? or should i keep looking? Thanks

2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I'm sure someone more clued up will give a more detailed answer, traditional jujitsu clubs are quite hard to find, and are generally the syllabus taught to the samurai (as it were) the more modern clubs' syllabus are based on the traditional ones, but are often modernised to fit in with todays society, I know my association has just redone the first half of the syllabus to be more up to date with attacks you're likely to see on the streets these days (from people watching and subsequently trying to do UFC techniques etc)

Traditional koryu schools will be great for all the history etc and will teach you a great art, modern jujitsu schools will perhaps be better suited to more modern self defense situations. Where abouts in the world are you?

3. smithter

smithter New Member

i live in kent, the nearest club to me is linked below, your right traditional clubs are hard to find, and i have been worried that the modern clubs might be watered down

http://crowboroughjitsu.co.uk/

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I only study traditional swimming, modern swimming training methods are watered down and ineffective at teaching you how to swim.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Ehh? ehhhhhh? :D

6. Kuniku

7. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Your coat, sir.

8. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

All clubs are watered down, they have to be for safety. It would be impossible to perform even a simple takedown like Osoto Otoshi the way it was originally designed to be done, as it is so dangerous that even with the utmost care sooner or later you would put training partners in casualty, or worse.

If you put all you training partners in casualty soon you end up with no training partners ;-)

It is possible however, to learn the safe way of performing techniques at a modern club, and then through research, books, courses, and being fortunate to stumble across the right people, to learn more dangerous/original versions.

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What is your understanding of traditional Jujutsu?

I'm wondering what you are comparing the gendai arts to?

What do you want from training?

10. Dean Winchester

Allowance do have to be made for practice but that is different to a system or waza being inherently altered to fit a different arena or function.

It's more than simply making adjustments for having a training partner.

There are safety mechanisms built into the practice of the older styles, if you want such training it's probably better to just go and find it rather than learning one way and then go looking for what you want latter.

11. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

Agreed, but it's not an option where I am, so I have to make do ;-)

12. Dean Winchester

Depends where you are and how far you are willing to travel, not everywhere advertises.

If you are interested ask in the koryu forum and someone may be able to help.

13. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

It really depends on how you are defining jujutsu; however IMO these do not appear to be teaching jujutsu or rather modern adaptation of it.

They appear to be teaching a hybrid of judo, karate and aikido.

I know someone is going to point out that judo was originally referred to as "Kano jujutsu" :evil:

14. Kuniku

They all came from the BJJA (seperated now)

15. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You might look into studying something along the lines of Daitoryu Aikijujutsu

http://www.daito-ryu.org/

I studied it for a while - unfortunately it's a no go with my current schedule. I really enjoyed it. Obviously it's entirely different than my background (muay thai/boxing) and very different in most respects to the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu that I now train in. Worth looking into. A traditional Japanese approach to martial arts study with lots of formalities.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  17. Kuniku

they were, until politics etc happened, a part of the brittish jujitsu association - so surely they are jujitsu, albeit a more modern system?

18. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

"so surely they are jujitsu.."

Why?

I'm not knocking what you are doing; however can I ask how much you have actually researched about the "arts" and learned about what you are actually training in?

There have been a lot of threads about the BJJA and similar schools/training on MAP. IMO its worth a read.

19. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

BTW politics happen in just about every association :D

Seriously though an association is different than the art itself.

20. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Where on those sites does it indicate this? I can't seem to see any info on what is taught.:confused: