Traditional Korean Sword

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Bruce W Sims, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Well.... I understand what you are saying, but I'm still real foggy about the whole "good and bad" thing. I would probably value the feedback more if it came from folks who study Korean sword. I think you would probably feel the same way if someone who didn't practice your material started telling you how it was not what you had come to view it as. For instance, in my own case, if GM Kim or Dr. Choi looked at what I do/did and told me how they wanted to see it done, that would carry a lot more weight. As far as comparing things, I experience a lot more subjectivity with this than anything else, hence the Validation Cutting. For instance, as far as the Japanese material goes, I find it very stodgy and over controlled. But see? Now thats MY opinion about someone else's practice, so guess how much THAT would be worth, right? I remember watching one of those "ninja" demo-s and couldn't believe some of the stuff they were doing, but it was all in fun. I'm sure they thought what they were doing was pretty cool as well. FWIW.

BTW: Came across this when I was looking for the MUYE 24 BAN material. It starts off bad (IE check the balance ---or the lack there of during that opening break) and goes downhill from there. "Da sword iss da sole weapon ufda SAMURAI." If thats true whats THIS guy doing with it? Ninja weren't SAMURAI, right?
    Just keeps getting better.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuYS5LLdLWA"]Ninja Training 1 (Sword Kata) - YouTube[/ame]

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

For crying out loud, Bruce, I went through in detail with your clip, and showed exactly where the issues were. The next step is we get together, and I show you.

The simple facts are that all forms shown thus far, from a combative standpoint, are deeply, fatally flawed. If you relied on them in combat, you would be killed. And it's no good saying "well, we're not going to go fight with swords anyway, why does that matter", because if that doesn't matter, why bother learning sword?

I have waited, hoping for you to show something that doesn't have these flaws, but if you're still saying you can't see the problems, frankly, I don't see how we could have a discussion of this.

3. Chris Parker

Bruce, if you think this is legit, you have absolutely no clue whatsoever about anything to do with martial arts from any culture at all, and no ability to discern good from completely horrendous. For your enlightenment, Ashida Kim is probably the most delusional, whacked out, lunatic, screwed up fraud any martial art has ever had to deal with. He has absolutely no schooling whatsoever (save from "the mysterious Count Dante"...), and even less credibility. Of course it's terrible, a three year old has better form after you blindfold them, tie their legs together, turn them upside down, and spin them around 10 times. If you're seriously considering this, then yeah, I'd say it is time to give up martial arts for a while... this level of discernment really doesn't bode well for your students.

Oh, but for the record, yes, most "ninja" were samurai. Again, you're just showing how little you know.

4. Bruce W Sims

Off topic nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  5. Chris Parker

Bruce, "Ninja" is his gamer tag, the name he plays by in his computer game life. What on earth are you doing? Is this supposed to be some kind of attack towards myself? Firstly, you're doing it wrong. Secondly, grow up.

Oh, but no, that's not a British accent. But I'd be wary of commenting on others use of language until you can demonstrate that you understand the written word a bit better yourself.

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Bruce this is off topic. Please stop messing around.

The Bear.

7. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Seems rather off-topic Bruce...

I realise you will not know bad from good in "ninjutsu" circles though, just as I don't know who is who in KMA.

I can assure you that Kim is not legit. As for second clip, I'm not even sure what's going on.

But yes British accents are very cool. Especially mine! :D

8. Bruce W Sims

Oh, c'mon, Bear...just thought we were getting a bit too serious, thats all........ no offense, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

No Bruce that was deliberate trolling. You asked for this thread to be re-opened and when you didn't like the way it was going you tried to derail it.
    It's completely unacceptable.

The Bear.

10. Bruce W Sims

Sorry...came across that stuff on YOU TUBE and it just struck me as funny.

Here in the States we have re-enactors as well, as in the case of our American Civil War. Guys get dressed-up and represent Union and Confederate soldiers....and sometimes its gets pretty cool as in when someone really does their homework and gets the uniform and equipment down to authentic buttons (saw that once in Virginia---pretty impressive. The guy actual made a point of collecting enough authentic buttons to finish out his Confederate Uniform!) As for the Ninja stuff....all that died out long ago. You still have re-enactors and guys who use it as a come-on to teach self-defense and what-not...but nothing to really take serious. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. Chris Parker

Simple question, though, Bruce... with comments like "I don't know if this is tongue in cheek or not, it doesn't seem to matter, they're all cut from the same cloth" after pointing out the "Ninja" and "Melbourne" aspects... who should you be saying "no offence" to?

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Thread locked as it has descended into stupidity - it will NOT be reopened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.