Traditional JuJitsu Fighting Competitions

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by johndoch, Oct 28, 2004.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Has anyone here fought at a Traditional Jujuitsu competition

Just found this Link .

To me the rules seem to involve more standup than would be seen in in BJJ, other than that it seems pretty similar but I've heard it being said before that JJJ is not as well trained as BJJ. Is this true???

Iam no expert on JJJ or BJJ but surely if you're training for the competitions as in the above link then your training should be on a par if not more rounded with strikes than in a straight BJJ club. Or are most JJJ clubs not training towards the sport side of things (resistant training partners) :confused:

Any thoughts???

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hi John,
    Some Ju Jitsu orgs have a training component like this. A couple of years ago my company filmed the Jikishin Ju Jitsu seminar and championships and they had the following competitions going on:

Weapons Kata, Unarmed Kata

Two Person Random Attacks

Groundwork (from the Knees) Sparring No Strikes, victory by submission or Choke out.

Integrated Stand Up and Limited Groundwork Sparring including:
    Punches and Kicks, Throws and Limited Chokes etc on the Ground.

This last one was ment to be Semi-contact (whilst stand up) but I'd use the term loosely. It was abit like San Shou competitions, with headguards, gloves and kick boots and shin guards.

Once the fight went to the ground you had fifteen seconds to get something meaningful to happen, else you be stood up again. This made for fast and entertaining action.

The Grapple and Strike Tai Jitsu/ Ju Jitsu lot use a similar form of competition as do a number of other Ju Jitsu Organisations.

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

We do similar styles of competition to that described by Sokklab:
    1) Groundwork from knees;
    2) Sports jutsu: semi-contact stand-up sparring, strikes above the belt, no strikes while holding/clinching, limited holding/clinching time, throws, limited time for groundwork, points for connecting strikes to valid areas, throws, holds, locks, chokes;
    3) Two person random attack or demo;
    4) We also do touch sparring against karate clubs (a la shotokan)

The idea is that there is something to suit everyone, although the most popular of these is sport jutsu, which is really good fun :D.

The groundwork section of the sports jutsu is limited by people wearing semi-contact mitts, headguards and pads, which makes it more difficult to move around on the ground.

In most jj clubs, people learn their techniques on compliant partners, then progress towards non-compliance as they improve, so sports jutsu is a good tool to try and use your throws under more pressure.

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

JJJ sounds pretty cool based on the above descriptions. :cool:

I guess as always it comes down to individual teachers to determine how good a club is.

5. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Where I train there is optional training in sport JJ (any JJ clubs in the area are welcome to come in for that) three days in a week in addition to normal training. Plus grappling practice once a week in. Which I like. It supports my own notion of how it's not the system, but how you train that will determine progress