Tourney Format - new

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by pinoy, Oct 20, 2005.

1. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

hi guys, am just thinking :confused: , is it possible to have a tourney format where you really can disarm your opponent using the techniques we learned, the drills. I mean no time restraint in holding the stick.

And others that we can think of.

Hopefully you guys can explain me why this diasraming are not used in tourneys, am just imagining maybe when am really have the opportunity to put up a tourney (maybe 2030 :D ), use the disarming techinques so i/we can really practice or check maybe what suits or be effective in guys who also know the art.

well its just me imagining guys, :p

help me pls :D

2. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

From my experience, especially when you get 2 novice to intermediates competing......

One goes for the disarm, the other pulls and tugs for some time, the initiator does not complete the disarm but hangs on for dear life and the other does not know how to effectively remove the initiator from the end of their stick....

So becomes an eyesaw to watch as you just get an endless tug of war.

Thus the reason for the 2 second time limit to attempt your disarm in most competitions.

However, when you get 2 good fighters, many failed attempts are made and many disarms pulled off with style and lots of countering in between, but this only works if you are both still attempting to flow to some extent, without getting tangled up. But usually if you are capable of countering correctly, this does not happen.

Unfortunately, however much you tell non advanced practioners not to just tug and hold onto the stick, they just do in panic and fear of being hit to a pulp and it just does not work and does nothing for the spectators either.

You would just have to have an advance format for advance practitioners. Perhaps have some illimination rounds using standard rules and in the finals take time limits out and see what happens. That way you get the best of the bunch working on this format and once the others see it, they will know what is expected of them.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  3. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

OW :eek: thanks madam :p lucy

didnt bout that, yup guess it would look like a bunch of kids holding on to sticks & kinda tug of war :cry: . Well i did not include the audience where i shud be, shame me :cry: , :D .

Thanks madam, am just thinking of how to really check in competitons disarming, would be great if one could see disarming one in a blitz of a second using the technique taught :p .

well again hats off to you madam, its just my imaginative mind :D , thanks for the input :p

4. John J

John J Valued Member

Disarming rules differ from tournament to tournament. However, one thing to first consider is that disarms is most effective through a transitional movement and many times merely incidental. They are not typically something you look for especially in sparring because most players move in and out of range and strike in combinations much like boxing.

The 2 most common and effective disarms in a tournament setting is either snaking the weapon wrist/hand to strip or powerful hand shots. However, I have played in venues that allowed grabbing of the stick and hitting the opponents arm. Safety is always an issue in tournaments and as indicated in the above, snaking quite often can lead to wrenching because of incorrect application which results in injuries.

John G. Jacobo
    www.swacom.com

5. Chris Umbs

Chris Umbs New Member

I like tournaments where disarms are allowed by leverage, but not allowed by grasping and wrestling with the weapon. Basically, if the disarm can be done in a single action, go for it. Also holds should be called if both fighters manage to grab each other's weapons (siezure and counter-siezure). Not the most realistic perhaps, but if anyone thinls they're getting realism in any tourney, they're smoking the good stuff.

Chris