Tournament Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DJHalliB, Nov 17, 2003.

1. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Hello all.

In a few weeks, 17. january, I'm competing at a Taekwondo tournament in sparring.

Currently, my training schedule looks like this:

Monday: morning - Weight lifting (usually the "yoda batch", but been doing the bear a little recently) Evening - Taekwondo practice

Tuesday (or is thursday next? I never remember!); Taekwondo practice in the evening.

Wednsday: Morning - 8x400m sprints. I go to a 400m running course and run as fast as I can one circle, then I walk briskly another circle and run the next one etc. Everning - Taekwondo practice.

Thursday (or is it tuesday...?) Morning - Bag work. Usually kicking a heavy bag hard and fast with different kicks. Then doing some speed kicking and some traditional kicking practice.

Friday: - Morning: Traditional weight lifting, same as monday.

Saturday: Morning - Taekwondo practice.

Sunday: My day off.

Now, my competition training routine (untested!) currently looks like this (this is the part I'm asking for improvements about)

Monday: Weight lifting (probably the Yoda batch again, but doing as many reps in a set timeframe as possible, trying to get about 1.5 reps per sek on the more simple movements. Basically lifting as fast as possible (http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/284sup.jsp) Evening - Taekwondo practice

Tuesday (or thursday!!!) Evening - Taekwondo training, but possible to add in some morning training also

Wednsday - Same as before, sprints in the morning, tkd in the evening

Thursday (..tuesday) 3x3min fitness training with kicks using kicking bags and/or just air. This is to build up endurance for the actual sparring.

Friday: Weight lifting like on monday.

Saturday: Morning TKD practice. Afternoon - Same as thursday.

Sunday: Still a day off, but up to debate if not needed.

This program will only be for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for improvements. I want to be as fit as possible for the tournament, and I'm willing to do anything that will help me do that.

Some basic info: I'm 174cm weighing 68.4 kg (my weight class is -68kg), I pracitce WTF-Style Taekwondo.

Thanks all.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I have noticed many members training for competition recently and that is why I started the thread Competition /Tournament Tips .

Don't know if anything there will help you out ... good luck!

3. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Thats a good thread kc, but right now I'm more looking for training in the few weeks before a tournament :)

4. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i tihnk the best way to train for a tournament is to fight repeatedly ina variaty of ways

5. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Direct sparring training is, unfortunately, unavailable. Mainly due to not having the neccesary gear or a training partner. Sparring is something that my club doesnt do much of, unfortunately.

6. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

try using makeshift gear or the way do it none at all. as for a partner find and athletic or any family member and tell them what to do then spar! or you could vist another doj and ask for a pertner to sparr with