Toughening my shins and instep?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Jesse@RTKD, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Jesse@RTKD

Jesse@RTKD New Member

Ive just started cross-training in muay thai and i find that after belting someones forearm with roundhouses for 3 rounds my shin and instep get extremely tender and swollen and i have to miss training to let them heal.
    Any tips to condition them?

2. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Kicking the heavy bag, or just getting your partner to hold up kick pads or thai pads and kick those, it's not something that happens over night, so give it some time

DO NOT use any rolling pins or bottles and and run them up and down your shins. Im not saying you do that or anything, but just so you know, it's not very healthy for your shins

3. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Whack the heavy bag, hard and often.

Start by aiming for 100 kicks in a session on each leg. You'll probably stop due to the pain long before that at first.

Rub some boxing cream or Thai oil into them whent hey hurt, it should dull/kill the pain. Then start whacking again.
    At the end of a session massage you shins/calves with Thai oil or boxing cream before getting changed and going home. It stimulates the circulation to the area and brings down bruising.
    Then so it alla gain the enxt time you go to the gym. Keep doing it till it doesnt hurt any more, then keep doing it anyway to maintain it.

There are 2 main schools of thought regarding shin "hardening":
    a) That repeated smacking of the shin into the bag causes an increase in bone density, deadening of the nerves, and/or formation of a calcium "Callous" over the bone.
    b) Some say the above in nonsense and it is just a combination of a deadening of the nerves and the psychological effect of conditioning to impact that causes you to not feel pain int hem any more.

Either way, repeated kciking of the heavy bag should do the business.

(Tip: I recommend snapping the shin kicks into the bag, causing the bag to buckle rather than swing too much, otherwise you spend half the time judging the swings and less time kicking. It's even better if you can find a sucker...er I mean partner to hold the bag for you)

4. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

try not to kick with your instep at all it dosent toughen up anyway, bruses just as bad, you will proberly get used to pain after catching a few elbows though thats the worst :bang:

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

To echo TomB's comments you don't want to make a habit out of landing kicks with the instep of your foot. Kicks landed with it are not nearly as powerful as landing them with you shin and landing them leaves you open to the possibility of catching a bad injury if someone covers up and your hammer their elbow full force with your instep... needless to say... you instep will lose that battle.

Focus on landing the shin... you can land with more power and do more damage - as well you can toughen the shin up far beyond anything that you can do with the instep.

The kicking the tree myth hasn't popped up in this thread yet....
    so I'll preempt it...

DO NOT run out and start kicking tree's to toughen your shins. :bang:

Anyone who tell's you this is what the Thai's do is talking rubbish. The tree's that the Thai's did kick were banana tree's - very soft and very flexible... much more similar to a kicking bag than an oak tree or that big maple tree in your backyard. The reason Thai's kicked banana tree's were because they didn't have or couldn't afford kicking bags. Now they have bags and they do kick them and banana tree's in Thailand live in peace.

Be kind to banana tree's... don't kick 'em. :D

6. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

Well I don't have much to add other than what's already here. Just kick the pads and the heavy bags. Not them stupid water-filled kiddie bags, the real tough banana bags. Yes you will see red, purple, black, blue and other pretty colors come out when you are doing this for the first time. You should take a short break first, let it heal a bit, then go back again. Your shins will gradually get used to it.

7. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

Just to add to what Slipthejab said - find your range and kick with your shin. I am sat here with a broken foot after getting it all wrong four weeks ago and catching an elbow with my foot. As I was waiting for my X-Ray I was looking at the a big picture of the human skeleton - those little foot bones look awfully small next to that big shin bone so it makes a lot of sense to hit with the big bit. Its a complete nightmare as I am meant to have my first fight in November.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  8. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

shin conditioning.

scp kensi said that some people feel that the coditioning of the bone is a myth and that its pychological.

to a degree it is phycological. (after a while you just get used to the pain)

however a study done at the university of oregon, concludes that you can condition and strenthen bone. they wer not useing the shin (they were punching wood with rope around it) but i think the same thing applies.

first bone...while it does no longer grow after a certain age. it is constently remodeling. it is being torn down when your body need ca in its system. and is being built up if you have enogh ca and bones are under stress.

you can see this is skelitons.... people who were manule laborors have a much thicker bone in the right arm than in the left. (in fact it kinda look weird)

that being said. what they found in the study was that if you banged your fist alittle. it would cause slight dammage to the bone. with rest the bone would repair itself. and get stronger and thicker.

if you banged it hard all the time it would get weaker since the body has no chance to heal. this sets yourself up for a stress fracture.

how does this relate to shin conditioning......well like most science, an in depth study is done to tell us what common sense should already be telling us.

kick the bag hard as you can without shin gaurds. when they are sore ....put on some shin gaurds and hit alittle softer until the pain goes away...repeat.

if they are super sore...work on your boxing for a few days

i suppose you could bang on them. but imo you are better off hitting the bag cause your increasing your technique at the same time.

9. ED-209

ED-209 Valued Member

be grateful that it was not your forearm being belted for 3 rounds

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

To touch further on what Mai Tai has spoken of check these out:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35375&highlight=ossification

and here is some relevant info on 'ossification' of the bone; the process of the bone strengthening itself in response to stress. I'd posted this article in this thread earlier this year - http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31551&highlight=ossification: .... note: the title was added by me for clarity.

11. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

I found this article in my favourites, so to conclude...