Topics of conversation among strangers.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rivend, Apr 24, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Probably most of us have heard the expression don't talk about religion or politics to someone you just met.But what is a good neutral non confrontational subject to use as chit chat without seeming like a know it all. Or boring someone with the normal topic of sports results or talking about yourself.
    I mean people in general here in my area where I live do not seem very deep or informed on some of the more interesting subjects.And after mentioning the weather twenty times a day. And even after having some dude make me watch his color weather radar on his phone *this is a complete stranger by the way* it gets old .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Tattoos.

3. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

Kittehs! Everyone loves kittehs!

4. Moi

No they(I) don't

5. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

Yeah, but we were talking about what to say to strangers. You don't count - we know you too well...... :p :evil:

6. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Changed original thread added in my area after the word here to clarify.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  7. rivend

rivend Valued Member

OMG... I also forgot to add I don't know how it is where you live but many dudes really get up tight if you even speak to their woman even a simple hello.And in my opinion they are over complementing themselves as to how good they think they look.

I don't fiend for friends so this is not the issue or reason for the original question.Just being generally social is harder than you think. But just not saying anything and being closed is not my personality.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Regarding your first point, I think most dudes have a valid reason to get uptight if another dude starts talking to their woman. Why? Because most dudes only speak to a woman if they want to bang her. Luckily I don't have to say anything because my wife is badass enough to tell any guy who starts talking to her to go fist himself until his hand pops out of his mouth.

I actually dislike random strangers making conversation with me. Unless it's a chick with huge boobs. But even then I get a bit irate because I have enough voices in my head talking to me without some other person butting into the conversation.

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Likewise. If you're a stranger you can ask me for directions, a light, or for me to take your picture if you're a tourist. Anything else - get out of my way or I will trample you.

10. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Really why? the location your in or some other concern

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I like talking to strangers. I've met some fascinating people that way, had some memorable evenings (some even for the right reasons) and generally enjoyed it, though sometimes it goes badly wrong.

I did this a lot before I was married though; being married with kids brings responsibilities that you can't ignore.

Mitch

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I don't live or go into dodgy places or anything like that, if that's why you were wondering. I live in a big city - hence the tolerance of tourists. Generally I'm just impatient and walk really quickly. It's me being grumpy more than anything else. :Angel:

13. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I have to disagree. Two weeks ago I struck up a 23 minute conversation at the local grocery store about the price of food which turned into wives, which turned into marriage, family and ended up with me getting turned onto the fact that a local pizza place has an unadvertised special on Mondays of HALF PRICE large and xtra large pizzas. Turns out the guy was friends with the owner!

Talking about stuff is simply a matter of being comfortable, relaxed and opening up. I can talk to pretty much anyone. I dont stress about the topic as I let the conversation simply grow on its own. But if you want a place to start, use something around you at the time. Like if you're on the train you might start with a comment about its condition vs is cost to ride. Typically opening with "So, how do you feel about the old testament" tends to put people off a bit. :D But always start with "hi"

As far as talking to another guys girl goes, only after you've addressed him and then only as is deemed polite. For example you dont want to say hi to her and NOT him. You dont want to talk to her and exclude him. Thats a recipe for a face smash. They have to be addressed as a couple... each in turn is fine but always each in turn.

14. Moi

I think I've sat by you on the train. Do you have carrier bags for shoes?

15. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Weather never hurts, especially here, where its as changeable as clothing :D

And seeing something you like about a person and complimenting them on it. People like that. :)

I like saying hi to random people but as someone who doesnt like strangers coming up outta the blue and saying hi whatta ya at just said here, its all about timing. :)

I'm a pro at meeting people.

Ask em what time it is, or where you can buy a coffee or something.

16. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

It depends on where you are. If you are at the pub it can be anything, the music, the DJ, Pool, whether they have tried a certain type of drink, what do they do etc. If you are at a sports venue then obviously it's easier to talk about that sport. I made all of my friends in italy by heading down to the soccer and cheering along side them. At a book store or library, talking about different types of books or authors. It can be animals, do they have pets, horse ride etc. The topic doesn't really matter, its just a matter of being casual. If you are talking to partners simply make sure you include them both equally.
    I've found this technique has worked all across europe with the possible exception of Paris and England. I think in London I spent more time talking to foreign workers than I did English people.