Topic: Favourite Kata - If you were able to keep 5 what are they?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by kokuToraRyu, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Torre

Torre Valued Member

From the 10 I have learned so far my favs would be:

Pinan Godan (Heian Godan)
    Naihanchi (Tekki Shodan in shotokan, I think)
    Chinto (Gankaku)
    Jion
    Seishan (Hangetsu)

2. DAZ!

DAZ! Valued Member

My 5 in no particular order
    Annanko
    Seipai
    Seienchin
    Unshu
    Bassidai

3. Skinny Shoba

Skinny Shoba New Member

Hey guys, some of those kata names are pretty esoteric to me, but the style of Shorin-Ryu I practice (Shobayashi) is incredibly less popular than the Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu that's all over YouTube and such. Up to the Pinan (Heian) katas there are lots of similarities, but after that...

Anyway, out of the 18 katas of our curriculum (mind you I only know the first 15) :

1- Bassai Sho
    2- Naihanchin Shodan
    3- Hangetsu
    4- Niseichi
    5- E kata Ippon me (I don't know, there is something incredibly satisfying about nailing the very first kata at the start of a long series)

Cheers !

words in italic might not actually represent an accurate description, but you get what I mean.

4. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

My favorites:

Saifa
    Suparempei (sp?)
    Naihanchi
    Motobu Udundi
    Hangetsu

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

My favorite four kata and my top four kata are the same--couldn't think of a fifth that I really have great love for (and it's NOT Heian Yondan, unfortunately, which is "my" kata right now):

(1) Bassai Dai
    (2) Hangetsu
    (3) Unsu
    ...and for something completely different...
    (4) Yang 24 (taijiquan).

I'm just starting to learn Bassai Dai (a brown belt in my dojo is re-learning it right now, so we're spending some time on it), and I LOVE it. What a great kata. I love the powerful feel, the rotation, etc. Some of it I understand the bunkai, some of it not yet, but that'll come.

Someone at my previous dojo was working Hangetsu, and I liked it a lot. The inside-tension stance work was very different, very interesting.

I haven't learned Unsu except for going through it a few times, but I love it. Probably my favorite Shotokan kata. I love its explosive dynamic nature, I love those hooking sweeps at the beginning (the sensei at my old dojo ALWAYS used to trip me up by hooking my front leg like that when we sparred), and I love that it's filled with kicks, but kicks I actually like to use (i.e. not yoko keagi! ).

The fourth...most Yang taiji practitioners would turn their nose up at the 24 form instead of Chen Manching's 37 form, or especially the 108 long form, but I like the 24 form and I'm tired of apologizing for it. By the way, I definitely think that practicing taiji helps my karate, but that's another thread entirely...

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

@mitlov: question: how come you know unsu but you´re just starting to learn bassai dai?

7. ojisan

ojisan Valued Member

8. ojisan

ojisan Valued Member

Sorry! I obviously posted to the wrong thread.

9. Gojushinki

Gojushinki Pre-Blue Belt

My favourite kata would probably have to be Seiunchin. My top five would have to be:
    Seiunchin
    Saifa
    Sanchin
    Tensho
    Bassai Dai

Seiunchin: Nice balance of hard and soft techniques, flows nicely. Translation "Attack, Conquer and Supress"
    Saifa: Short and to the point. Quick powerful movements with no wasted energy. Translation "Destroy and Defeat" says it all
    Sanchin: Slow and powerful. Tightening of the entire body makes it a great conditioning kata, especially with shime testing. Translation of "Three Battles" refers to the ongoing internal battle between mind, body and spirit
    Tensho: Slow, powerful techniques disguised as peaceful flowing techniques. Difficult to master and always provides a challenge. Translation of "Turning Palms" suits the kata.
    Bassai Dai: Very unique kata with a technique for every situation. The translation "To Penetrate a Fortress" suits it well.

10. nanook660

nanook660 New Member

I only know

Kihon Kata
    Pinan Nidan
    Pinan Shodan
    Pinan Sandan
    Pinan Yodan
    Pinan Godan (Just learning this one)

I really like Pinan Shodan and Pinan Yodan. They all are different in there own way. I like them all.

11. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Tekki shodan (JKA)
    Bassai dai (JKA)
    Hangetsu (JKA)
    Tensho (GoJu)
    Bagua zhang Palm changes (Montaigue method)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  12. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

HANGETSU?! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!!!

:ban:

edit: looking back over the thread there are far too many people who would keep Hangetsu. That makes this llama very sad. :(

13. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

It's an awesome Kata, that's why.

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

someone's going to have to persuade me that's the case then. Preferably in a nonviolent way.

15. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

lol, Seiunchin and Jitte were fighting for position also :)

16. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  17. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Finally, ive worked out how to link/embed.. Muhahahaha

Im one of those old fashioned types who's only just learnt computers LOL

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm liking Tensho at the moment.
    Seems a nice concise set of simple techniques (the inward palm strike is my pre-emptive strike of choice) and looks vaguely Tai Chi-like when you do it. :)
    And you can do it in a small place like my conservatory.

19. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Its loaded, I first learnt it in forward stance!! (Kin Bushi Ryu 93) :)
    Later on my Shotokan Instructor who also was accomplished in GoJu made adjustments and also taught me Seiunchin. One of the best instructors i have had, After class sometimes way after a handfull of us were still doing Kata. Sensei J.McGreggor of Shindo Karate Assoc. a very sharing individual who gives his all.
    Woops, im ranting..lol, sorry :) had to pay my respects to a great Karate-do instructor.

20. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

I would have to say in no paticular order my favorite five Kata is:

Hangetsu

Nijushiho

Kanku Dai

Kanku Sho

Unsu