Top Two Reasons To Lift Weights. Plain & Simple.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Colucci, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Excelente BeWater! A well done article through and through. Just a few things I thought of, please feed back:

(1) One thing that you hinted at but did not explicitly say in section 1 the injury protection benefits that muscle has for fighters. A well conditioned, strength-trained athlete can take a beating much better than a poorly conditioned athlete. This is true of all competitive athletes, from fighters to ballers to WWE wrestlers because the muscle itself protects your body. If you're doing something that causes you to have to fall, jump, punch/kick, be punched/kicked, tackle/be tackled, or generally get banged up, more muscle will protect your body and from more serious injury.

(I'm serious about the WWE thing too- even though those guys are roided up, they still slam each other around for 200+ days a year. That's not easy to take.)

(2) Question- though pocket hercules is amazing, what effect does his small stature have on his ability to lift such amazing weight? To ask it another way, does the fact that he is a shrimp allow him an actual advantage (in terms of mechanics) that allows him to lift bodyweight x3? Can a more average person hope for a similar lift? Does it have to do more with training time than height? I know lifters like Dave Tate have PRs approaching 1,000 lbs for many olympic lifts, but do they train at such huge levels (say, bodyweight x2) regularly?

2. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

A great point, Cuch. Muscle can serve as a physical cushion, helping to protect bones and internal organs from impact. One of my favortie lines from Alwyn Cosgrove is "I got punched in the spine once...Interesting thing is, my opponent went through my stomach and ribcage to do it. I got real interested in core training after that."

Also, low rep, heavy weight training can help to develop tendon and ligament strength, which should be a primary concern for anyone involved in a joint-locking art. I'll go on record as saying that if you want to avoid an armbar, barbell curls will have a definite place in your routine. (Now there's a can of worms that probably didn't need to be opened here.)

I think it's a combination of him being a genetic phenomenon and having extremely advantageous leverage for his sport. If he's only 4'6", then the barbell only needs to travel maybe 5 and a half feet to be over his head. On an uber-basic level, it will be easier for "someone" to lift 400 pounds 5 and a half feet than it would be to lift it 7 feet. Especially with Olympic lifting, technique can be a big factor, but Naim's got that down pat. So, yes, I believe his stature is a definite advantage.

Well, I wouldn't set your heart on a 407-pound Clean & Jerk (like Pocket Herc had at the '96 Olympic games), but you never know. Given enough training time and dedication, sure, maybe it's possible eventually. But you'll probably have to gain some weight to offset it and to build the muscle to allow it. So...in actuality, I guess not. Wow. Circular logic hurts my brain, sorry.

The guys with the really huge numbers generally do put that up during regular training. It's not uncommon for some of the Westside Barbell powerlifting crew to train and hit 6 or more lifts at 90% their 1-rep max. So, if they have a max squat of 900, they're using around 800-pounds, which is over 2X bodyweight.

3. cxw

cxw Valued Member

I disagree on the conditioning - a competite MAer will have their conditioning peaking for when they compete. Any reasonably good MAer will have some sort of periodization in their training.

4. Colucci

Hop over to the Health & Fitness section and ask us over there. You'll get some more detailed responses. :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  5. Colucci

Well, I did say that conditioing could improve accordingly, so I don't think we're exactly disagreeing. But remember, the focus of this article was the benefits of strength training. If I started discussing how to juggle and manipulate strength, muscle mass, practical technique, and conditioning, the whole piece would've gotten waaayyyy sidetracked and would have ended up even longer that I had hoped.

Nevertheless, you raise a good point; it's all about knowing what and when to peak, and what and when to maintain.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I loved the post, not only informative and interesting but humorous as well.

One problem- You failed to mention Richard Simmon' fighting ability.

He is 54 years old, 5'7 and 155 lbs and he slapped a 23 year old man who is 6'1 and 255 lbs who cage fights and has spent 3 years in prison.

So besides the fact that his victim should pray he never goes to jail again and has been forced to retire from fighting, we know Simmons packs a mean slap.

7. tcgohan

tcgohan New Member

Huh?

Oh and how do you keep the body loose during/after weight training?(tai chi can suffer if muscles tighten due to training).If you don't have to fight the opposing muscles your strike or whatever will be faster and stronger, by learning to relax opposing muscle groups your body is more efficient wich is why I love supersets like squat/deadlift, bench/ row, crunches/supermans I find it teaches the muscles to relax when they are not needed and be ready to apply maximum force. Don't forget to stretch afterward or the muscles tend to tighten up.

I know I answered my own quesion. H+F forumn --->

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  8. elektro

elektro Valued Member

WHat sort of weght training do Muay Thai fighters do?
    They are really skinny (especially the Thais) - but do they still build muscle in order to take hits?

9. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

Nice article BeWater. :)

Muai Thai fighters are governed by weight classes, so they have to watch how much weight they put on, unless they're heavyweights. Most of the Thais are small statured as it seems to be a genetic characteristic, probably due to diet and lifestyle? As for building muscle to take hits MT fighters wear gloves and condition their shins to take strikes. They're not going to be taken to the ground in the ring or punched in the kidneys (or shouldn't be) ;) I imagine they'd build muscle for strength and greater striking power rather like boxers do. The acquisition of too much muscle mass would not be a priority for most MT fighters I'd imagine.

10. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Very nice article. :)

I would like to ask however, your position on supplements (particularly those that reputedly increase muscle mass). I had to ask because there seems to be a trend where supplementation automatically accompanies strength training.

Personally I don't take supplements because they're expensive here where I live (I guess the guys I know have the same reasons). I've seen and trained with lifters who eat basically the same as I do (rice, meat and vegetables), are really strong, and yet do not take said supplements (except maybe the few who take multivitamins).

11. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Nice article!

My boxing instructor and me are always arguing about lifting.

I lift twice per week, really helps me, I get stronger, faster and bigger. I only do compound exercises, lot's of 5x5, not more than 10 reps, squats, benchpress, pull-ups.. etc.

However, he claims my techniques are worse than a few months back. He says it's because of the lifting, I say it's because I haven't done much boxing last couple of weeks, and I have had a sprained wrist :D

It's so much fun, he says lifting's bad, I say it's good. :D

Every lesson, same discussion lol...

12. Colucci

The short answer: Use the full range of motion during exercises (from full extension to full contraction), incorporate dedicated stretching time either after weight training or on a day of it's own, use a thorough warm-up including dynamic flexibility movements.

I don't know, I'd have to ask them. :rolleyes: Like Doppleganger mentioned, they do need to abide by weight class restrictions. If I were a competitive Muay Thai fighter, I'd definitely want some more meat on my bones.

I like 'em, I used to sell 'em, I use 'em now. :) "Supplements" is a rather vague term. It's like saying "What's your position on exercises?" ;) There have been a bunch of threads over in the Health & Fitness section discussing supplements. Here's one of the more recent and comprehensive:Top 5 Supplements.

However, the going rule is, in this order:
    1 - Fix your body (deal with any pre-existing injuries or issues.)
    2 - Develop a (whole food) nutrition routine targeting your goals.
    3 - Develop a training routine targeting your goals.
    4 - Use the rights supplements, at the right time.

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I do 50 push ups and 50 sit ups a day in my bedroom, is this enough?

:Angel:

Good stuff mate, glad to see some content from you... at last :D :Angel:

14. tcgohan

tcgohan New Member

Short answer: yer, um, NO!

Long answer: It's better than eating potato chips but it's not enough to make increases in maximal strength or muscle mass. Stop being a panzy :love: buy a power rack or find a gym that has a few in it, and don't forget the olympic barbell and weight set. Use the weights repeatedly, lift "explosively" to add speed to your ... whatever, and don't lock the joints(on speed aka dynamic lifts) or your joints will complain. LOUDLY. Don't forget to go heavy with your weights to gain strength/size find a buddy who can spot you (or learn how to set up that power rack ;) )

15. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Congrats dude, you just taught Granny how to suck eggs. ;)

16. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

*slaps forehead*

17. jwmp

jwmp New Member

weight lifting gives you abnormal looking muscles, i went for bodyweight exercises a long time ago because the look is natural

it boils down to what you are trying to achieve as to what direction one takes.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  18. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

19. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Abnormal? In what way?

AFAIK, If you're moving weight, your body can't distinguish between bodyweight and external weight. Both involve exerting muscular force against a resistance. How can one make you look abnormal, but not the other?

20. Fatz Burger

Fatz Burger New Member

He probably means bodybuilding. Strength based exercises shouldn't result in much body mass increase. Also, I don't know any MMA guys that don't do weights as part of their routine; it can make a real difference provided you don't sacrifice other aspects of your training,