Top tips

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tom bayley, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

A place to share Any tips on anything related to the practice, study, and application of martial arts.

From my personal experience.

• If you have an injury don’t take pain killers before you train. It increases your chances of pushing to far and making things worse.
    I heard this one last night – so have not tried it out.
    • To remove smell of sweat from wraps. Steep overnight in a bowl of 1/3 vinegar to 2/3rds water. Rinse out in clean water. Then wash as normal.

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Don't defecate where you occupy.

Vince Millett, hewho and axelb like this.
  3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

If you get blood on your gi, soak it in salt water before washing it, as this will help break the blood down before ther detergent gets to it.

aaradia likes this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Pretty in Pink, that message could very well be considered trolling. In addition to that, it could be considered in violation of the forum rules posted throughout MAP to the TOS. Below is one link of many throughout MAP.

Forum Rules

Tom is starting a positive thread aimed towards what MAP is supposed to be all about = friendly productive sharing of martial arts related topics. Please, if you don't have anything positive to say, at least don't try to derail it. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  5. Pretty In Pink

Sorry. Should have elaborated. "Don't date anyone you train with I'd you plan on being there a long time". More so if you're young.

6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

From personal experience:
    Make sure your trousers fit before competing in them.
    Don't fight in an under 70kg light continuous fight if it's your first bout and you weigh 59kg on the day.

Generally:
    Be chill with people, and willing to listen. Make friends

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Do everything you can to minimise injuries.
    Pre-hab exercises, warm up, work mobility, tap often, err on the side of caution, refuse to roll or spar with people with no control, stay on top of your conditioning, leave your ego at the door, etc.
    Consistency is key to progress and injuries break up consistency.

Work your cardio. All the strength, technique and heart are no good if you're tired.

Take control of your own knowledge and progress. Own it and make it all make sense to you. If it doesn't make sense find someone fot who it does make sense and listen to them. If your instructor, club, association, style disappeared tomorrow you should still have something of value.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

1. Be happy and grateful every time someone gets the better of you in sparring, especially if they are less experienced than you. Being shown gaps in your game is a gift to make you better.

2. Persistence beats talent.

Monkey_Magic, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you do an art with belts....take half an hour and learn how to tie the damn thing. It takes minutes to learn and yet I still see people...some very high grades...with a badly tied belt.

Mitch, axelb, Thomas and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

I am that guy.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

But only if talent is not persistent.

There are guys who are stronger than you, faster than you, more talented than you, and yet they work their asses off like they're none of those things. This is the point where you realize that life is, in fact, inherently unfair.

axelb, David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't worry...Rickson Gracie is that guy too. :(

[​IMG]

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. aaradia

Yeah, I have watched sash presentations where people take FOREVER to tie their sash. I have heard it is a pet peeve of my Sifu when people can't do this in decent time. He doesn't say much, but you can see him dying inside. :p

Don't be this kid! (Although I admit I love this video as it makes me laugh every time. From another location of my school.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That's actually his way too, maybe it stays on better?

Or .....
    I like the Hollywood version myself....

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Top tip

1)Be as coachable as possible,
    2) they're is no "right" way to do anything, but they're are lots of wrong ways.

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  16. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

If you find yourself exhausted and getting sloppy with your form, make a special effort to keep your technique correct and avoid the sloppiness.
    Allowing yourself to be sloppy on form/technique when you get tired leads to multiple issues:
    - Much higher injury risk (in my personal experience).
    - Ingraining bad habits. If you are ever going to compete, or if you are ever end up having to physically defend yourself (if unable to avoid/de-escalate/escape from a situation), you don't want to get sloppy as you start to fatigue. Opens many holes in your defense, allows easier counter strikes against you, and you are more likely to lose balance/fall/whatever. Plus the extra injury risk on top of all that.

There are probably other issues with it too, but those are the main two that come to my mind.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  17. aaradia

This one is my most recent mind blowing revelation in my training.

For those of you who do forms in your martial arts, learn to read and write scripts! I wanted to get better at using and understanding Chinese terminology. And being told the terms worked ok, but learning to read scripts, trying to teach myself a form from a script has REALLY helped the process enormously. And then I decided to write a script, traditional style and format, for a form I am learning and that has also been very beneficial!

Not only in getting the terms down, but in seeing patterns. Like looking at a form in a different way than practicing it has just opened my eyes to how things are organized. And I see patterns that I missed in only practicing them. My knowledge and understanding in practicing is deeper from learning to read and write scripts.

It's hard to explain really, but if you try it, you will see just how beneficial it is!

I wish I had started on this earlier in my training. That is why I decided to post about it here.

I get to test my growth in our GM seminars this weekend. In the past, I didn't really understand GM well as my Chinese terminology was not great. He doesn't use the English terms much. I hope to understand him a lot better this weekend.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Tom bayley likes this.
  18. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Take notes and review them - don't expect your instructor go over everything from the beginning every time. Take responsibility for your own progress.

Be a good partner - encourage your partner, work with him/her, try not to hurt them, go with it when you're supposed to and resist when you're supposed to (listen to the instructor's directions)

Listen to your instructor and practice what is being practiced, even if you know 47 other ways to do it, especially if you're working with a junior partner. That said, also be ready to share your experiences and ideas after everyone "has it" the way the instructor has shown it - there is a time and place for discussion, feedback, and sharing.

Yes! And if you are an instructor who one day will be presenting belts, take some time and practice wrapping belts around people and tying them - it's a bit different than putting your own on!

Mitch and axelb like this.
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yes! Tied my own double wrap belt on myself for years but had to look up how to tie a single wrap on my kids.

Thomas likes this.
  20. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Repetition makes automation regardless of speed, and physical speed is subordinate to timing, positioning, and correct movement, so train only as fast as you can move correctly. Correct technique under repetition automates the proper motor patterns, but technique automation is subordinate to it being naturally expressible, so don't obsess about technical nuances that even after automating you cannot casually replicate at will (do train them, but with the aim of making them natural, automatic and casual).

Half-baked analogy time! Speed is internal combustion, and technique is your engine. If you want to win a race, you still need the rest of the car AND a driver who knows what they're doing. If the race is a death race along a cliff-edge, priorities become clear pretty quickly :p

David Harrison likes this.