Top Ten Videogame Villains

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhythmkiller, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Hi Guys,

Just for fun for those of that are interested in all things videogame related I thought we could name our top ten video game villains. Collate the information and there you have the MAP top ten. It will make for interesting reading to some of us. Other top ten could be made as well. Without further a doo I give you my top ten.

10. Donkey Kong – He captured pauline (courtesy of white panda) in the original DK game that introduced Mario.
    09. Edgar Ross – Read dead redemption. Antagonist in RDR and tries to tame the west through modernisation.
    08. The Illusive man – Mass Effect 2. He was the galaxy racist. Stylish and brutal the illusive man makes my list.
    07. The Shredder – TMNT Arcade. Impossible to beat, I spent £20 in the arcade as a child trying to beat him.
    06. Bowser – Another Mario Character with a fixation for Princess Peach, guilty of Kidnapping.
    05. HK47 – Knights of the old republic - Assassin droid created by Darth Revan to hunt Jedi. A serious Villain.
    04. Vaas – Far Cry 3 - Easily the most fully realised villain seen in a videogame. Cunning, Dangerous and almost real.
    03. Ganon/Ganondorf – Zelda Ocarina of Time. A true villain turning the land of Hyrule to darkness and kidnapping (again) Princess Zelda. Also has a seriously scary Black Horse.
    02. Darth Revan. KOTOR - A Jedi turned Sith. Wearing the mask of fallen Mandelor the Ultimate he was the quintessential Sith.
    01. Ornstein and Smaugh. Dark Souls – these two send shivers down the spine of players who face them. Each of them can be one hit kill bosses and both must be fought at the same time. Any battle against these two is epic and no victory against any boss/villain can make you feel such euphoria after their demise.

That’s my list, I’m interested to see other gamers lists and if you can’t make ten go with what you can.

Baza

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Mario's GF in DK was not Princess Toadstool. Her name was Paulina.

3. Rhythmkiller

Thanks for the correction mate.

Baza

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ooooooh, that's a tough one. Even harder because I tried to avoid picking up from the same franchise twice. Honourable mentions to go Scarecrow (Batman: Arkham City) and Illusive Man.

So, here we go:

10) Scott Shelby, Heavy Rain - you come to really appreciate him, he acts like a real good guy, you spend hours playing with him and see he's really affectionate. Then you find out he's the Origami Killer. The least dramatic villain there is in the list and almost didn't warrant a spot, but how he pulls on your heart strings for a while got to me.
    9) Andrew Ryan, Bioshock - Obvious villain. Incredibly eccentric to the point of being slightly mad, intelligent, driven, determined. His death scene was a ridiculously pyrrhic victory.
    8) Ornstein & Smaugh, Dark Souls - Didn't come across a huge amount of their background but they are just iconic. They represent (to me) everything that is right and wrong about Dark Souls. Loved battling them.
    7) Sovereign, Mass Effect - There was something in the first Mass Effect about the utterly indomitable will of the first Reaper you come across, its utter confidence and cold mannerism that appealed to me. It had all the relentlessness of undeath with immense intelligence while being unknowable (at the time). It didn't have the same psychological weaknesses as many villains do.
    6) Crooked Man, Wolf Among Us - come on, the dude has Fable Town under his thumb and utterly terrified of him while not being terrifying himself. So intelligent, so charming, such an eloquent speaker...even at the very end, with everything you've been through, he can talk his way out of a situation so well you genuinely start to believe he might actually survive.
    5) GLaDoS, Portal 2 - Ridiculously funny, ridiculously harsh. Some unbelievable comments and quotes. For science. You monster.
    4) Ganondorf/Ganon, Zelda: Ocarina of Time - One of the only villains to have ever succeeded in his plans for world domination. So strong the gods of Hyrule flooded the world just to slow his impending return. The Sages of old tried to bind him to a rock and stab him and he broke free and killed one of them in return. His power is just immense.
    3) Joker, Batman: Arkham City - voiced by Mark Hamill. Do I really need to say any more?
    2) The Crawler, Fable 3 - the game (IMO) did not properly portray just how horrifying "Darkness Incarnate" would actually be. The way it haunts you, taunts you, unleashes an army capable of wiping out all Albion, pushes nightmare images upon you. Then at the end to possess you oldest friend and force you to kill him. Just...awesome.
    1) Fat Man, Metal Gear Solid 2 - "Laugh and grow fat". I'll just leave this here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohvQrV6eKZQ"]MGS2-14-Fatman Battle-before and after - YouTube[/ame]

5. Rhythmkiller

Very nice selection there Sloth, I was racking my brains to remember that saying "Laugh and grow Fat" - forgot all about metal Gear and i should have had Psycho Mantis on the list.

Baza

6. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

No probs, but I made a mistake as well. Should be Pauline with an E. Wonder why they broke up. lol

7. LemonSloth

Probably because of his addiction to magic mushrooms. I hear they can make you break out into spontaneous bouts of gigantism and digestive related fireballs.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm just going to add ones that haven't yet been listed.

Seymour, Final Fantasy X (PS2).
    As camp as a row of tents at Gay Pride, but this jackass made my list because it took an entire MONTH to kill him! FFX was my wife's game and we spent over an hour every day trying to beat Seymour. He wasn't even the final boss of the game! His plan to force Princess Yuna to marry him was just darn nasty.

Saren, Mass Effect (X360). ME was the first gaming franchise that drew me in on an emotional level like a book or film. Part of that was character development, especially the villain Saren. I hated him within his first couple of scenes, but grew to sympathise with (and even like/admire) him as his story opened up.

Nemesis, Resident Evil 3 (PS1). Wah! Dude was both ugly and scary. I felt like turning off the game when I knew his boss battles were coming up, and his random appearances mid-game made me damn near soil myself. And you just knew those random appearances would be right when you were out of Magnum .44 and grenade launcher ammo (the only things that could stop him, albeit temporarily). I still have nightmares that I'm going to be shopping for hair conditioner in Wal-Mart, when from behind me I suddenly hear that all too familiar "Staaaarrrrrssss..."

The Alien, Alien: Isolation (PS4). I don't even own this game yet and I'm crapping myself at the thought of unwrapping the box, nevermind my first playthrough. The Alien franchise is tops of all my lists: films, books, and gaming. I would only feel comfortable taking on a single xenomorph with two M41-A pulse rifles, two flame throwers, Hicks's shotgun, and 17 canisters of CN20. So the thought of running around a spooky, abandoned station by myself, with no weapons AND the galaxy's most dangerous predator hunting me down, makes me want to scream. Except there's no point, because no-one can hear it.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Big Smoke - GTA: San Andreas. Why did you BETRAY ME? :'(
    Big Daddy - Bio Shock. First time I fought one I was terrified out of my mind.
    Tomb Raider - Dinosaur. Classic
    Berserker - Gears of War. Same as Big Daddy
    Shao Khan - Mortal Kombat. Unbeatable.

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Heihachi from Tekken

M Bison from Street Fighter

Other than that mind is drawing a blank on ones not already mentioned.

11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Revan wasn't the villain of Knights of the Old Republic (pending player choices). Malak was. Revan was the players character.

12. Rhythmkiller

Yeah he is, he's the first sith to use the title Darth. Darth Malek was Revans apprentice and was driven by jealousy which caused him to attack Revan while he's fighting Balista. You start your journey on the Endar Spire as Revan with his mind and connection to the force wiped but for all intents and purposes he's a baddie.

In my game i kept Revan true to his routes lol

Baza

13. Unreal Combat

Canonically the Prodigal Knight is actually a hero, twisted into Sith, then turned hero again. He married Bastilla Shan after the events of Knights of the Old Republic.

Revan was the Sith whose teachings inspired Darth Bane to create the Sith rule of two philosophy if I recall correctly. The story of Darth Bane and Darth Zannah is far more interesting I think personally. With them you didn't really see them as villains which is what made them that much more interesting.

14. LemonSloth

Awww, c'mon guys, if we do that then we're never gonna get aywhere. What is it about some of the ones chosen that appeals to you?

We could always expand this thread to include favourite moments. Favourite death scenes/loves scenes/endings/funny moments/etc. Like this one (one of my favourite heart wrenching/feel like crap scenes):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEc4gBS6gRg"]Mass Effect 3 Killing Mordin [Renegade] - YouTube[/ame]

15. Rhythmkiller

Hard to belive i am in the pub while composing this but anyway. The rule of two is correct inspired by Revan and Malek. The prodigal knight was known by the Revanclast? granted him this title not recognised by the Jedi council. Revan was already turnining to the dark side during the mandalorian wars due to his barbary. UC i think we have just mega geeked lol. Anyway i must return to a lovely guinness extra cold.

Baza

16. Unreal Combat

Mega geeked is not the word, haha. Got to love Star Wars. :)

17. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

I'll put up Old King Allant from Demons Souls and Knight Artorias in Dark Souls to the list (I've not thought about top 10 but they're right up there).

Mainly because of the lore that builds up during the games that by the time you reach them you're literally a quivering wreck when you enter these boss areas. Dying to these guys is going to happen and almost feels like a privilege - it's what you're supposed to do...

18. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Heihachi was a. Nutjob he imprisoned his own father and took over his conglomerate then he threw his son Kazuya off a mountain because he thought he was too weak. He was then in turn. Thrown into a volcano by his son Kazuya in the finals of the King OF Iron first tournament then he tried to kill. And capture his son and grandson to experiment with their devil gene.

M Bison is just a nutter who wants to conquer the world.

19. LemonSloth

Also want to add a couple of honourable mentions:

Scarecrow, Batman - Arkham City: Already mentioned him but for me, Scarecrow has the potential to be one of the most terrifying villains in any story. Without the need for super powers, giant robots, magic or anything else.

The End, Metal Gear Solid 3: This guy took a friend of mine three hours to beat the first time he played the game. Took me a little over an hour but was such a great change of pace from most boss battles.

The Boss, Metal Gear Solid 3: She was always strangely sorrowful and caring despite being a major bad-ass and a traitor (who it turns out was actually loyal to her original mission to the end). Her boss fight was nuts - a woman with pale skin and bleach blonde hair in an outfit of white fighting in a field of white flowers that comes up to her rib cage with white flower petals falling everywhere. She could out run you, out fight you in HtH and out shoot you in a straight fight. Oh yeah, you also have a time limit to beat her in before you die. Even the bosses from Dark Souls didn't get me so fired up to beat them as she did.

Illusive Man, Mass Effect 2: Seriously, if he needs explaining, I have to ask - "Do you even game, bro?".

King, Tekken Series: Far and away my favourite character ever. Insane grappling combination.

20. Rhythmkiller

Death Adder/Death Bringer - Golden Axe. Scary dudes not to be messed with captured the king and queen? of the land. Could throw fireballs and weild huge axes to kill you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYMdqqhS5VY"]Golden Axe (Mega Drive) - Flawless Run (Part 2 of 3) - YouTube[/ame]

Baza

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014