Top/Favorite MMA fighters

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ninjadeath, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

HW:
    1 Emelianenko Fedor
    2 Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera
    3 Mirko Filipovic

LHW:
    1 Wanderlei Silva
    2 Randy Couture
    3 Tito Ortiz

MW:
    1 Frank Shamrock
    2 Murillo Bustamate
    3 Kazushi Sakuraba

WW:
    1 Matt Hughes
    2 Carlos Newton
    3 Mike Swick

LW:
    1 Josh Thomson
    2 BJ Penn
    3 Takanori Gomi

2. totality

totality New Member

hmm...your picks for lightweights is somewhat unusual...

actually, there are quite a few on there that i find difficult to agree with. carlos newton?? bleh...

saku floats around at different weights, he's in the same class as silva.

however, the best fighter in lightweight and absolute divisions would have to be mike williams ;)

3. Scooter

Scooter New Member

Top/Favorite MMA fighters

I am going to do the whole weightclass thing.

Genki Sudo
    Kazushi Sakuraba
    Cro-cop
    Alexander Otsuka
    Igor Vovchanchyn

and anyone who beats the hell out of Tito.

4. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I like Bass Rutten.

5. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

I said favorite/top fighters not just who you think should be the top ranked. Most of the fighters I put on the lists are ranked in the same or similar places by most MMA websites.

Fedor beat the unbeatable Nog and is the Pride HW champ.
    Nog has beaten some of his weight divisions best and reigned supreme in Pride for over a year. His BJJ skills are increadable and his stand up is pretty good to.
    CroCop Has KOed everybody he has fought (Except Nog, but damn close.) with kicks and has the potential to end a fight in seconds.

Silva's striking is unrelenting and brutal. He is Huge for a LHW and has dominated his division for a while now. He has also shouwn to have a very strong ground game and can fight from his back very well. Very uncommon for a serious striker.
    Coutures wrestling skills are increadable and he trains very well for his fights. Not to mention how he totally destroyed Tito to take his UFC title.
    Ortiz is a bad a$$; who in his weight class besides Silva, Couture, and maybe Vitor wouldn't get taken down and pounded out.

Frank, I train with the guy so I know how increadable he is.
    Busta, he's a submissions master, who's just had a few bad breaks in his last couple fights.
    Sak was picked because after Busta it's either gonna be Lindland or Sakuraba, and if they fought, and they will in Pride soon, Sak would sub him. Matt's to one dimentional.

Hughes, no one can argue with that.
    Newton was picked because he's the only one who has givin Hughes a run for his money.
    Swick shouldn't have been picked only because he's a middle weight, my bad.

Thomson is two fights away from claiming the now reinstated UFC LW title. I also train with him, so I know what kind of an explosive fighter he is.
    Penn has been one of the top LW's in the world for a long time now. He has good BJJ skills and is very heavy handed for a light weight.
    Gomi, his record speaks for it's self.

6. totality

totality New Member

Caol Uno, Duane Ludwig, Jens Pulver? But, to each they're own.

7. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

Ludwig got lucky with that descision against Sudo. He was robbed. Ludwig got his a$$ beat in KOTC by one of the fighters at my gym, and that guy gets his a$$ beat by Josh Thomson. Ludwig KO'ed Pulver and Franca KOed Uno. Thomson is fighting Franca at the next UFC and will tear his a$$ up. Trust me on my pics of the LW division.

8. totality

totality New Member

oh, i trust you, trust me, i trust you.

the decision was correct, ludwig only got lucky when they stood the fight up for his nose.

9. totality

totality New Member

more importantly though, i'm going to steal that lw title as soon as i'm old enough to drink.

10. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I know you say you train with Frank, which may sway your opinion, but on what planet can you rank him the number one middleweight?

11. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Ken Shamrock
    Frank Shamrock
    Kasushi Sakuraba
    Ricco Rodriguez
    Carlos Newto
    Marco Ruas
    Pat Miletich
    Tito Ortiz
    Vitor Belfort
    Wanderlei Silva
    Uki Kondo
    Bas Rutten

There are So Many Good Fighters Out There here
    are Just a Few

12. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

Ken Shamrock's a joke who will never get better because he is arrogant and refuses to train with anybody better than him. Just look what Tito did to him. Sakuraba is a great fighter, but he's not gonna last much longer in the sport. He's taken too many hard KO's. Ricco is one of the most overrated fighters in the HW division. He's a good submission wrestler, but as an over all fighter he's not one of the top guys. He only beat Couture because of his size. Ruas is too old and hasn't fought with the high caliber tallent of todays fighters so I don't know how he would do. I do like the guy though.

13. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Whats Your Record?

Ken 's MMA Record is 25 , 8 & 2 He has held The King of Pancrase Titel & 2 Superfight Titels. I would Like to see Tito fight him at the Regular weight class. Nothing against Tito But It realy took a way from that fight.

Ricco's 13, 4 & 0 He has Been The Abu Dahabi Submisson Wresteling World Champ He has Held The KOTC World Heavy Weight Titel & The UFC Heavy Weight Titel

Sak Needs to rest & let his body Heal
    He has been Busted up for Some time Now & realy Needs to
    Take Some Time away From MMA & Pro Wrestling

Per Happs a Movie With Jackie Chan Would be a good idea?

14. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

Look at what Tito did to Ken. He dismantled him. Who has Ken fought rescently? in his last 7 fights he has lost 4 of them. All I am saying is the the sport is evolving and Ken is not evolving with it. The fighters are getting better and the competition has caught up with him. Yes Ken was a pioneer of the sport, but his day is long gone. His Lion's Den is Broken and his time has passed. He is to arrogant to train with those better than him and he showed that in his fight with Tito.

When it comes to Ricco, how long did he defend his title??? He only got one chance and then got dropped by Sylvia. Trust me when I say I know what I'm talking about. I have a very respected opinion on a few MMA message boards and with the head of http://www.insidefighting.com who often consults me on MMA matters.

15. Trent Tiemeyer

Respect comes with time, not namedropping and chest thumping.

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

ROFLMAO :D

We humbly bow to your cyber-greatness oh great MMA grand poobah :D

:p :p :p

17. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

The only reason I went there is because of some smart *** remarks made towards me. I never attacked anybody, I only made a few points that were dissagreed with, and that's ok, everyone is intitled to there opinion. I was just trying to say that I am not just some casual fan conscerning this subject. I might have taken the Jacky Chan comment the wrong way. Was it directed towards me or at Saku?

18. Trent Tiemeyer

I took it as toward Saku.

19. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

My bad if so. when I reread it it looked like that too. oops;) I can see why it looked like I was tootin my own horn then. lol I'm not half as arrogant as I was coming off.

20. Trent Tiemeyer

It's all good. It's hard to read intent, humor, and sarcasm in a lot of posts.