Top 5 Koryu Practitioners in the East Coast USA

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by mattt, Aug 18, 2010.

1. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

I myself would not go there. If I get out to NYC in Spring like I plan, lets get together and I will tell you what I know about the subject.

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

What is your rationale for not going there Don?

3. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

The original poster is a Bujinkan practitioner. If he wants an art with a link to Japan but focused on self defense he can find it in his current art.

I take it that he wants something with more of a link to Japan's past and culture. When you talk of koryu, that is the impression most experienced get rather than just talking about jujutsu, etc. In koryu you don't just pick up a sword and swing it around, you have to pick up the culture and understand a lot of the 'why' behind the moves. In my experience in Japan, they expect you to take things like tea ceremony and other traditional cultural arts just to understand the way things were done in prior ages.

I once read a thread on another board where some members of that school in NYC took part. Not only did they admit that they did not speak Japanese or have experience living in Japan, they actually seemed to look down their noses at people like me who did live in Japan at the time. The tone of their message was about their police experience and combat effectiveness, not their traditional outlook or link to Japan. If you look at the web site, that is still the impression I get.

If the OP had started a thread about a combat effective art in his area, then maybe he might consider that group. But if he is looking for something where he would learn about how things were done in Japan a few hundred years ago with the chance of continuing his education in Japan in the future, there are other options in his area better suited IMO.

4. Kogusoku

Don,

I was unaware that the original poster was a Bujinkan practitioner.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Thanks Don, your assessment as to my interest is quite accurate.

S.Delaney, I am indeed a Bujinkan practitioner, one of a select few who are highly ranked, have lived in Japan and trained with the Shihan and Soke. I alluded to my affiliation earlier in the thread in my second post (#7,#8,#9). I have not yet opened up my online training portal.

Since my departure from Japan I have become more open minded towards other styles and am keen to explore their interpretations and understanding of their schools - am interested in the Ryu-ha itself and also the mindset of the Student. There must be some affinity from those lonely days walking/limping (my Ukemi is still a sore point) across Tokyo and Chiba from Dojo to Dojo on a weekend?

Whilst I know it is sacrilege I am also open to a shot of Tequila along with my Malt and Cognac and have taken up BJJ since the Gym here is world class.

I'm still looking and thinking, as mentioned before I am interested in a new perspective, but do not want to walk into a Dojo like a child wandering aimlessly into the conversation (I will reserve such actions for online :)

6. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

And yet, that is the thing that the vast majority of people find is beyond their abilities. In my experience, the majority of the folks who enter the door will simply wander away sooner or later.

7. Kogusoku

Sir, the whole world breathes a sigh of relief over that. :cool:

Training six days a week with sometimes two keiko in a day. I miss it like nothing on this earth.

Rolling is rolling. Some of us who do koryu also do Kodokan judo. We have friends who do bjj so we roll.

I haven't been able to unfortunately for a couple of years due to a severe spine injury.

Research and reading are the only real avenues there mate.

Happy hunting.