Top 3 Circuit Exercises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, Mar 20, 2013.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

You could put a turn on your burpees too.

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

8. Do Burpee #7, except with a a cartwheel, back flip, triple axel spin at the end.

3. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

1:50 in - the burpy backflip!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyOWj-ZZNc4"]DO YOU EVEN LIFT? Walters and Shieff 2013 EP5 - Damien Walters & Tim Shieff | Flow - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I wouldn't recommend using exercises that you're not familiar with (although plenty of people can and do get away with it), and make sure you don't rush from one exercise to the next without making sure you're set up with good form and posture.

5. Kuniku

yeh i'm not sure how well my dodgy wrists would take some of the clean and snatch motions anyway, I'll see if I can get some instruciton at the gym on how to do them, incorporate them into my current program and then when its time to mix things up again in a 4-6 weeks time I'll see if I'm ready to try the complexes out =)

6. Frodocious

If you can't do a certain exercise because of injury leave it out or substitute it with something else - dumbbell versions (particularly with neutral grip) can be better for dodgy shoulders and wrists.

When my shoulder was particularly grumbly I left out the push presses and, on occasions, the cleans.

7. Kuniku

Yeh I won't force them, I've not tried them before, so won't know until I try, if I can't do a normal version I'll see if I can do it another way etc =)

The PT I saw did say that cleans etc would be good for the MA aspect of things, but we didn't get time to work on them yet (partially because he was no doubt trying to sign me up to a complete program of extortionately expensive sessions with him :3)

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

9. Kuniku

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

weight helps. wrists and ankles are push-overs, so they'll usually give a little when enough weight is added, and eventually they'll get used to the position. might have to fiddle with grip width to find one that's doable and comfortable, but that shouldn't take too long.

11. Kuniku

yeh, i'm struggling to get the position while sat at my desk, hopefully with a bar it'll help, if not i'll add some light weights and see how comfortable it is or isnt, something to look forward to at the gym tomorrow night =D

12. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

i tried the Bear with a couple of fixed bars at 20kg and 30kg then a womens Oly bar with 25kg. the fixed bars have too much knurling, after deadlifting my hands were a bit trashed. i think 30kg would be a good weight to get the reps in if I hadn't already done Squats and Deadlift so i just did a set of 5 reps

13. Frodocious

If you're doing them as a conditioning finisher at the end of a workout, drop the weight considerably. You should be picking a weight you can do for 5x5 (or whatever your set/rep requirement is), and that may vary if you're doing the workout on its own on a conditioning day or at the end of a lifting session.

Another good article has just appeared on T-Nation: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/hlc_the_ultimate_workout_finisher

Obviously you'll need a sled or tyre to do it, though.

14. Princess Haru

i was a bit under caloried for today (late breakfast of muesli and cup of tea, that was it), really noticed it when coming back from Asda with a pint of milk bought with the only money i had £1, hunger pain won out over the pump. its hard for me to fit 2 compound lifts and 4 err i mean 5 supplementaries and a proper warmup in under 1.5 hours, def over that today, i need to superset and drop an exercise

KB swings 20k for 100reps, squats upto 75k for 10reps, belt squats 35k 3x12, deadlifts upto 100k for 10reps, back raises 20k 3x12, leg curls 40k 3x12, landmines 25k 3x12

i'll see if i can add it to my upper body day, generally not as intense

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Really I thought john davies (the infamus renegade coach) came up with it and ive not seen it used by any OL lifters I know? And his reputation was so…..ummm..iffy that anything he came up with would give me pause for thought lol

“basement powerlifters” tend to dislike them because they are the least best choice when it comes to building proper strength, there are also much better, quicker and safer ways to build the specific energy systems needed for any sport

They might be great for size or fat lose who knows, but for strength they suck

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the only people i know who use the bear are people learning the finer points of mechanics and teaching the lifts on coaching courses

usually with the fat loss stuff, o-lifter's watch their diet
    for conditioning type stuff they do hill sprints or wear heart rate monitors and lift when their HR drops below a specified BPM

17. Princess Haru

i'm partly to blame for this going off leftfield again, while interesting for some training not really what i'd consider a circuit training exercise (tho it has become part of the fashion in current fitness classes such as Bodypump with their Barbie barbell sets)

18. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

i was mearly stating that it is unwise to discount an idea just because it has a rough affiliation with crossfit and that makes it uncool.

i know a fair few oly lifters and a coach who is a big fan of complexes, albeit normally for athletes who need a bit of mass on their bones to get stronger, it allows them to stick to 'kind of' oly movements.

there are far more efficent ways to get stronger i agree.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

fair enough but personally if BOTH crossfit AND Davies agree on something i would run a mile :D

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

you cant run, you're a powerlifter :evil: