Top 3 Circuit Exercises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

You could always use pulls, cleans, squats and overhead lifts. Example:

Clean pull from floor x5
    power clean x5
    Thruster x5
    Repeat until death

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Squat
    Walk
    Bicep curl

AKA the fridge, couch, beer circuit.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I came across something like this which incorporates those movements: the Bear Complex. While weary of CF stuff I think starting at the right weight should be okay

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOd_VaYDFSw"]How to Do the Bear Complex - YouTube[/ame]

4. Fish Of Doom

a good way to do something cf-ish without actually doing crossft is to set a fixed time frame and then just do as many reps as you can within it with whatever set/rep scheme you want

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

6. Fish Of Doom

i like doing that with cnp singles and squat triples across 10-ish minutes per lift

7. Princess Haru

^ this is what i'd do rather than the 5 x 5 suggested. the only problem with any circuit exercise which relies on equipment is when there isn't the available kit around because it's in use, there isn't the space because the place is packed out (or someone literally steals it mid set, which i kid you not has happened on my last circuit, as well as during the 36 chinups i did on wednesday night when the step i was using walked away) so a catalogue of bodyweight exercises is best as a foundation with some add-ons used to give it variety

8. Frodocious

The advantage of most complexes is they often only use one piece of equipment so no-one can steal it from you.

I've done complexes as a circuit in the past (1 rep of each for x number of sets) and it worked just as well as doing the 5x5 version. Plus I found that it allowed me to work round injury issues more easily than doing 5x5.

9. Fish Of Doom

you could always do circuits where the bw moves incorporate the equipment. example: ohps off the rack, then pullups on the racked barbell, or db lifts, then pushups grabbing the dbs (or rollouts).

then again this is also why i suggested stuff like pulls then cleans, where you never actually leave the bar alone. plus i like claiming one piece of gym equipment for myself and never straying from it :p

10. Princess Haru

Another thing I came across by accident the other day put into question several core/ab circuit exercises, so I have been looking again at alternatives

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDjwcSOn8gE"]The Dogma of the Week- Ab Workouts - YouTube[/ame]

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

the bear has been used by oly lifters for years, its not a CF invention.

even if it was who cares? if it works then awesome who cares if the 'basement powerlifters' on the internet think it isnt cool or hardcore enough becasue of a CF affiliation. BB complexes have been used for years to great effect they're a fantastic tool for conditioning, strength or size depending how you use them.

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Oooh! I do them in Metafit, never knew that was what they were called.

13. Princess Haru

a lot of Crossfit WODs are timed and people will push themselves to failure for that extra second or rep. which might be fine if your technique is okay and you have access to Oly bumper plates, but i know on the latter i'm going to be in trouble if i drop barbells at the gym (more for damage to the equipment than to myself). to failure with free weights is a potential safety issue, which is the greatest argument against CF (even amongst certified CF trainers i know), that and max effort movements for reps like box jumps. i'm going to try it in a little while, with something i can push press from a back squat (not an ideal shoulder position for me tho)

14. Frodocious

The thing about Complexes is that you don't need to do them at warp nine or as a timed set to get a good cardio workout. If you choose a sensible weight and work them in a controlled fashion, with good form, you'll still find your heart rate rockets and you're gasping for breath. You might find the first couple of sets easy, but by the time you get to the 5th you'll be wishing you chose a lighter weight!

I'm not a fan of the Crossfit timed set with compound lifts thing, but I love doing Complexes.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've not done these before, what rep range should I be working in?

16. Frodocious

The general advice is to do 5 or 6 reps of each exercise then move on to the next exercise. Choose exercises that flow easily from one to the next e.g. deadlift, barbell row, hang power clean, front squat, push press, back squat.

I tend to do once full set (5 reps of each) followed by a 30 sec/1 min rest and then repeat for however many sets I've got planned. Yesterday's was 5 sets with 15kg followed by 5 sets with 10kg. I would also recommend going lighter on the weight than you think you can lift!

17. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Frodo - is one rep 1 dead lift, 1 barbell row, 1 power clean, 1 front squat, 1 press and 1 back squat? or do you do 5 dead lifts, 5 rows etc etc?

18. Frodocious

5 of each exercise, then move on to the next in the sequence and do 5 of that etc.

You can do it as more of a circuit (1 of each) if you want, I did it that way for a while, because it allowed a bit of recovery time when I was training around injuries. However, if we are being pedantic, for it to qualify as 'Complex' the aim is to do 5 or 6 or each exercise then move to the next one.

19. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

certainly sounds like an interesting way of working out, and is a change to the boring 'routine' of it all. some of the exercies are ones I've not done before so I'll see about learning to clean and press and stuff first i guess =)

20. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

1. Burpee

2. Burpee with push up

3. Burpee with tuck knees when jumping.

3. Burpee with push up and tuck knees.

4. Burpee with clap push up.

5. Burpee with long jump.

6. Burpee with pull up.

7. Burpee with clap push up, then jump up to do a pull up, then drop down and do another burpee, with clap push up, then do a long jump, do another burpee with a push up then clap push up, then tuck knees with jumping, then do another burpee with you finishing off with a front flip when jumping.
    :)