too long ?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by locust, Jan 13, 2009.

1. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

Hi everyone for the last couple months i've been toying with the idea of returning to Karate training but not sure if i want to start at white belt again (for the third time) now my question is if i still have my certificates for my belt although in a different style and from 1988 should i retain it if i return.
    Any opinions would be helpful in making my choice

2. kokuToraRyu

kokuToraRyu Valued Member

Hiya Locust,

The common sensus amongst styles and clubs is that if you are from a different style you begin again. I am a Dan Grade Instructor in Koku Tora Ryu Karate Do (Ashihara Karate) but I am a Blue belt kyu grade in Wado Ryu as they are totally different styles.

The fact that you studied Karate 20 years ago unless you have continually practiced every other day ALL the techniques and kata that you were taught, unfortunately I would consider you as a beginner. Yes you may recollect some of the techniques but being a good karateka is being able to be honest with yourself amongst other things

Just sit back enjoy your new beginning and don't give up this time.

3. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

I am in the same situation has you are, i have chosen to start at white belt, i practiced shotokan karate back in 1988 then switch to kyokushin karate in 1989, after that in 1990 i switch to tae kwon do, so i have a lot of belt color but never quit commited to a style.

If you practiced before and kind of know the basics i am sure that your belt grading will be a lot faster, i want to go into kenpo karate now and stick with it til the end. Karate all forms do have there basics punching and kicking and also most forms look a like with small variations.

I am also older going to be 37 in June.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Although I study and teach a completley different style I would ask what your aims were. If you are after the accumulation of belts then do not go back to training, as it will seem a chore. Hopefully the new class has an istructor and senior students who can inspire you and it may just be the case that now you train with a different view and become a better green or blue belt for example that you were a black belt.

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

It very much depends on your new instructor as to wether or not he/she will even give you a choice.

6. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

Thanks for the input .Think i should start at white again cause it has been awhile, dont really remember the katas and like one person said it wont take long to achieve my former rank as i still practice tkd and hapkido (black belt)
    Thanks everyone again all your suggestions helped:cool:

7. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

In general as much as it will pain you I suggest you start as White belt, providing you still have the skills and movements ingrained in you it really won't take long for you to advance through the lesser grades, it will also give you an opportunity to learn the subtle nuances and differences with the new style.