Tokaido Gis

Discussion in 'Karate' started by dori_kin_86, Jun 24, 2004.

1. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

How many people out there wear traditional heavyweight Tokaido Gis imported from Japan. They cost between $150 to $200. They were popular in the 60s and 70s, but lost popularity to Century and Adidas. I'm going to order one from Bill Wallice's online store (because its the cheapest at $150.) I was wandering who still wears them.

2. I like Kamae Internationals higher Gis from about £50 to £80 ish plus trimmings (whatever the excange rate might be?).

www.kamaeint.com

I recently got a Kamakazi 'Instructor Gi' from them (about £90) which is fabulous, I have to say. Not had much to do with the Tokaido range though.

3. jlyons360

jlyons360 New Member

We wore Tokaido in the 70's. I recently went to get a new gi and found that the Tokaido gi's are not the same quality. Definately not worth the almost $200 dollars they want.

I have been wearing Ronin Brand gi's lately. They remind of the tokaido quality from back in the 70's. they are in the $80 o $90 dollar range.

4. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I've never worn the Tokaido, only because of the price. However, in my early days, I wore the KI Japan made gi. I use to buy for $35.00, now they are $135 through KI-International.com , and their sizes are limited.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I bought 2 Tokaido Gis in 1993.
    I only have 3 Gis that I use regularly.

My Tokaido Gis look as good now as they did then (though the filling is a bit worn :cry: ). They still look slightly blue when wet.

Mind you - I got them for about £85 each.

JWT

6. Kentsui

Kentsui Valued Member

I have worn Tokaido gis for the last 25+ years. They still wear well, and take a good beating. I also wear Shureido gi's, and Genbudo. All three wear very well, so in the long run you do get your money's worth.

7. powerof0ne

powerof0ne Valued Member

gi

I wear tokaido, toyo, and shureido, and kamikaze. I haven't had to buy a new karate gi in over 8 years, I'm finally thinking of buying another one but only because I want to get one with some logo/embroidery work done.

8. Ultricity

Ultricity New Member

I bought a Takaido Gi about 12 (*almost 13 now*) years ago .. luckily only 110 CDN$ back then and I have never regretted it. It is just now starting to show signs of wear and tear. Worth every penny. Very crisp uniform. I am so glad each style I have been to gave the choice of not putting their crests on the uniform.

I am just now coming to terms with having to buy another "good" Gi. I am hoping I am as satisfied with my new one.

9. Tsuyoi

Tsuyoi New Member

I bought a Tokiado Gi about 10 years ago and it cost me about £70 GBP which was a hell of a lot to spend then - it's still going now ableit not on me though, I gave it to a student who had his stolen!

Looks a bit aged now though but you get what you pay for I do beleive.

I now wear Kamae Premier Japanese Cut Gi's and these are not as heavy as Tokaido but still fit my frame and because Kamae will make alterations to the Gi's that's great - it's like a tailor made Gi but not at that high price!

Thinking of Adidas now though.....

10. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Our sensei can supply us with Tokaido gis, or a very good quality club gi. Both have the club lettering embroidered.
    The Tokaidos are referred to as "instructor gis", so I guess it would be a bit pretentious for a kyu grade to get one.

11. Wayward_Son

Wayward_Son New Member

No experience with any of the brands mentioned.

I wear a cheap ProForce gi that was included with the dojo's entry fee, and I haven't upgraded. I've heard people talk about "heavier" gis, but to me that seems like they'd be more restrictive. How exactly does a heavier gi feel compared to a lighter gi?

And no matter how many times I wash mine with bleach and detergent, I just can't seem to get that stench out of it. Anyone have any care tips for me?

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

What stench? What have you done in it?

Heavy weight gis make you work harder and look smarter. They also make a satisfying snapping sound when you move. So if you're into all that, then get one. I'd say it was probably a pre-requisite for competition. I wouldn't see a light weight gi surviving any of the paired drills I do - the sleeves would rip right off.

13. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Throw the smelly one away, buy a new one.

How long have you had it? The fact that it's cheap probably means its outworn its time.

Heavyweight Gi keep their shape better also nothing worse than flimsy material sticking to you after an hour of solid sweating. Try going for a 12oz as a start you'll be able to tell the difference.
    The last time I wore a lightweight Gi was about age 11, now I wear 14oz bottoms and 16oz Jacket.

14. kharmael

kharmael Valued Member

Indeed, JWT has lent me a heavyheavyweight Gi. Not particularly pleasant in the heat, but I do love that snapping effect ^_^

15. prowla

prowla Valued Member

A kamikaze gi - you've got to be kidding! :D

16. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

My Shureido gi was my favourite ever.

Kamikaze Europa is a good "every day" gi and the Kamikaze Sovereign is pricey but very nice.

Buy cheap, buy twice!

17. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

I got one

count me as one.

I got 3 tokaido Gis, a yellow and torn, a bit yellow and finally a white one :)

Been using them for like 10 years find no reason to change them ..

18. RichardGregory

RichardGregory New Member

I have 2 tokaidos and am planning on getting a third at the end of summer. Personally, I don't like the heavyweight no.11, I like the medium weight no.10 best. It allows the most fewwdom of movement whilst still giving that heavy feeling. Both my Tokaidos are size 4.5 but my next one I've got to go up to a size 5 as the trousers are getting tight and I want a slightly longer jacket so it's not right under my belt when it starts to shrink.

19. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I havent trained in Karate for about a year now, however my tokaido heavyweight was the best gi Ive ever used. The top withstood my first few months of grappling, but I found it wasn't the best for practicing judo throws and gi chokes because the lapels aren't designed for that. Still has the snap when I put it on and punch with it and the pants are amazing. I still wear the pants from my tokaido today along with my Mizuno judo gi top (Mizuno gi pants are way too thin). Tokaido heavyweight is definitely a great gi.

20. Haxx

Haxx New Member

I've had Tokiado gi's in the past but now prefer the Hirota. It's very similar to the Tokiado but personally feel that the Hirota is better quality. Can't remember how many I have I think it's about 5 (seems a lot but i'm wearing one every day of the week!), but I've had them for years and they are still in good nick and are still very white!

I've also been supplying some of the guys (& girls) at the club with Tokiado fighting gi's. These are a lightweight gi and seem very popular. :)