Tobacco geri

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Redhotdragon, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Redhotdragon

Redhotdragon New Member

Apparently in Mas Oyama's book, he shows how to kick a cigarette out of someone's mouth...i would buy the book: but it's pretty pricy!! Can anyone shed some light (no pun intended) on this technique?

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Sounds fun, I'll have my friends help me to be able to do it :D

3. HayabusaZero

HayabusaZero New Member

I have a reprint of Mas Oyama's Complete Karate Course titled Karate School which has a short blurb on Tobacco-geri and Booshi-geri. I got the book for 17 bucks at Borders.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've got Mas Oyama's Complete Karate Course with the technique you're describing. It was on my bookshelf, but someone's moved/nicked it! I didn't think it was expensive till I saw this :eek: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-8529210-1206514?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Mas Oyama's Essential Karate is on Amazon for 20 bucks http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-8529210-1206514?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

As soon as I find it, I'll post on tabbaco geri and booshi geri (kicking a hat off someone's head).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  5. Redhotdragon

Redhotdragon New Member

Brilliant, thanks!

6. HayabusaZero

HayabusaZero New Member

7. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

THats not really all that great is it??? kicking a ciggarette out of someones mouth? a good snap kick can do that

8. xubis

xubis New Member

What is the point, intimidation or showing off?

9. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

heh, I can shoot a cigarette out of someones mouth (it was with a toy gun, it shot corks).

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Can it? I'd like to see that, any chance you could take some photo's of you doing it and show us?

Xubis, the point is "showing off" really, its not a proper defence move. You'd have to get someone to stand still long enough to do it! :)

11. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

As a karateka K-girl, you probably know that there are two main front kicks, the thrusting one and the snapping one. It isnt recommened, but a front snap kick can easily snap up to or higher than a persons mouth (if they are of average height). Remember, ciggarettes are held in not by your teeth, but your lips, therefor it can be hit out easily. Knowing this, I thought that any experienced karateka could easily do that if they aimed for the persons mouth, and did a high snapping kick. Maybe Mas Oyama's "tobacco geri" uses a special technique or cool way of doing it, but hitting a ciggarette out of someones mouth, using your foot, shouldn't be that hard. But again, thats just me.

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've found the book, I'll see what I can get from it, and possibly scan a section of it. Its always difficult to tell a technique exactly from a book, but I've not seen it demostrated myself.

13. Redhotdragon

Redhotdragon New Member

Great, thnx- look forward to it :)

14. xubis

xubis New Member

You could use this technique if someone had a ciggy in their mouth and was trying to burn you ;)