To the tkd ladies! (pregnancy & training)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by gemtkd, Aug 14, 2006.

1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Congratulations Gem! Welcome to the planet Motherhood! Wishing you a great pregnancy, wonderful support, and an easy delivery! :Angel:

2. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Congrats!

Be careful with your scan pics as bright light can fade them, so putting them on a scanner my not be such a good idea. Somewhere like boots can copy them into a more resilient form.

Congrats again!

3. Drusilla

Drusilla Valued Member

Oh my God! That's my old wedding anniversary!

Anyway, moving on....
    Congratulations hun, that's fantastic news. :)
    I met someone in my class recently who I believe took (and passed) her Black Belt (I think, although don't you have to spar for that? I don't know.) grading whilst 6 months pregnant. So it just goes to show that you can can still train whilst pregnant.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  4. DaveOHr

DaveOHr New Member

Congratulations Gem! My wife is due in March also. Exciting. :)

5. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Congrats, Gem. :D

And as others have said, just train as long as your body feels alright.

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

congratulations from me too :D

Kwaj, what a cute baby :D

7. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

Congrats. That's fantastic news. As everyone has chimed with sage advice on training...justlet me say that being a parent totally rocks! Enjoy it.

Peace,
    Erik

8. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey Gem,

Glad to hear the good news about the scan!!

We'll be having our next little one May 2nd (or thereabouts...I tested this morning).

Hope you're feeling well and getting some rest.

Kelly

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Congratulations Kelly! Hope everything goes smoothly for you. At least until the sleepless nights start again :)

Mitch

10. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

Another little kicker on the way! Congrats, Kelly! :)

11. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Thanks all!!

I'm having a lot of trouble with breathlessness. I can't even walk up a flight of stairs without panting. Does it get better or worse!! I'm certainly not that unfit!!!

12. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

Congratulations, my daughter is only 9 months old and i don't think i can remember what life was like before her.....

the best is yet to come.

lots of love to you , your partner and the bump.

x

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Until you give birth to a cyclops!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine seeing a dong flying up at you while your chillaxing in the womb! Poor kid :p.

14. TKDQ

TKDQ Valued Member

Congratulations :love:

pregnancy for me was tiring for the first few months then great and exciting when your bump starts to grow and the baby kicks and has hiccups, then tiring again for the last few months, mainly because I got so big I could no longer roll over in bed, i would have to wake up every half an hour to shift myself around. I absolutely loved being pregnant, after my second baby, I mourned for my bump, i know it sounds daft to many people, but my second baby was my last baby, so although I was over the moon with my second daughter, i was sad that I would never have my bump again.

As for having the rascles, i love them, they are hilarious, watching all that innocence and daft behaviour, when they say mummy for the first time, when they say your the best mummy in the world, or they are so excited to see you their little legs can't move fast enough to get to you.

Of course there are hard times, it is an extremely difficult job, but is also the most rewarding, I love being a mum, I love being their best mum in the world.

But back to your thread though, check it out with a doctor before you carry on with classes, the keeping fit side will be fine, but I imagine you will have to keep your kicks quite mid to low section and stretching you will have to be careful with.

Good luck with the coming months, and remember when your baby gets here, to stay relaxed, keeping your house spick and span is not so important that you get stressed out and worn out trying to keep on top of things, the first few months are hard trying to get into routines but I don't think you start feeling like yourself until 12months after, not that this should concern you, enjoy it because it goes all too quickly. Treasure every minute. :love:

As i write this my eldest (angel) daughter, Mollie, is showing my (angel) two year old daughter, Maisy, how to use a whoopie cushion!!! All i can hear is screams of laughter and 'pooie mummy pooie!!!'

15. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey Gem, the breathlessness could be due to low blood pressure (I always have it in the first trimester although it seems everything I read says it doesn't start until the 2nd...all I know is 88/55 is low and it was that way through the whole trimester; made me light-headed and out of breath).

Anemia can be another culprit...they usually check hemoglobin at the first visit.

And it could be plain 'ol pregnancy fatigue...makes chewing exhausting :D .

The fatigue passes around the 12th week, anemia is easy to fix and the low blood pressure...well...it always goes away for me in the second trimester :Angel: .

LOL, don't worry...you're not unfit...it's just pg stuff :love: .

Kelly

P.S. Low blood sugar can be a problem too if you're not getting enough to eat (small, high protein "meal" every couple of hours). 300 extra calories is recommended and 50-75gms of protein (my midwife recommends 100g but I can't take in that much without using protein pwd...it's just way too much food!).

16. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I went to the doctors yeasterday and he said everythings fine. He basically said it's one of those things that diferent women get in different ways.

My BP is the lower side of normal I think it was like 85/50 or something like that.

I just get frustrated that I get knackered walking up a flight of stairs!!

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

don't worry about that. you won't be pregnant forever. enjoy the pregnancy. you'll get in shape soon :)

18. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Thought you's would be interested to see a pic of my 12 week scan!!

[​IMG][/IMG]

I'm so excited xx

19. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey Gem!! That is just adorable!! I haven't been around the last week so didn't see it until just now. That is so fantastic :love: .

I'm 9wks 2days today...had a scan done Friday and all is well.

How's training going?

I was able to grade (my instructor modified it so I didn't have to spar) a couple of weeks ago. I was feeling pretty blah but did okay (the step-back roundhouses were making me really nauseous...I had to do three in a row).

It's all going pretty good otherwise. I'm able to do just about everything at this point except flying kicks and some of the self-defence drills that require falling or throwing (too much risk of falling myself). I've slowed my spinning kicks down and keep my jumping kicks very low to the ground. I'd like to keep up as much as possible. I know eventually some things are going to change quite a bit when I lose my lap and can't stretch/sit-up well :D . I'm wondering how it's going to work with push-ups LOL, I don't think I'll be able to go very deep before my belly hits the floor (I get really really humongous during pg!!):p .

As long as I keep moving I usually feel okay...it's when I stop that it hits me. You feeling good yet? I usually start feeling better between 10 and 12wks.

Congratulations again on the good scan! Thanks for sharing!!

Kelly

20. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I'm beginning to feel better, but still throwing up a lot I'm 15 weeks today!! I've practically had to stop training as I couldn't do anything for throwing up and also my back has decided to be of no use to me anymore!!! It's strange cos' I'm showing a fair bit already and no one else I know starts showing til about 20 weeks!!

Oh well I'm just odd I guess. Congrats on the grading!! I hope to go back to training when I can move without throwing up all over the place lol

xx