To the tkd ladies! (pregnancy & training)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by gemtkd, Aug 14, 2006.

1. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Hi all!!

well I'm pregnant!!

I still want to train as normal as possible, but was wondering if anyone knows, which exercises to avoid, what to try and do instead.

I really don't want to make any daft mistakes!!

Cheers all x

2. ember

ember Valued Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! And good luck.

I'm not TKD anymore, but what my KJN said with regard to activities during pregnancy was this:

No jumping, no sparring, no falling, and no receiving any pressure point techniques. Beginning as soon as you know.

YMMV.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Lots of threads here on training while pregnant.

But ember's advice is brief and to the point ;)

Do advise your instructor and fellow students... and train for as long as you are able, it certainly will help you.

Good luck to you and many congrats! (don't give it up after the birth even though you'll be tired and have lots to do !)

4. Sex.

If you had avoided that you wouldn't be in this situation to begin with! :D

-

Congratulations Gem. All the best for you and what will soon be a happy family!

5. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Congratulations, that is fantastic news! When are you due (hope you don't mind me asking...if you do, just ignore the question :D ).

I was wondering the same thing since there's a strong possibility we're expecting (testing this weekend). I did some quick research on the web and this is what I gathered/determined:

I had planned on continuing with forms and basic kicks (including running kicks but avoiding jumping, skipping and flying). As far as our warm-up/stretching goes I don't think there's anything I would avoid.

Sit-ups are generally not recommended during pregnancy due to the abdominal separation but that doesn't usually occur until half way through the second trimester. I've read they're okay to do until 20wks (at which point pregnant women shouldn't lay on their backs for prolonged amounts of time anyway due to the pressure baby/uterus puts on the arteries).

Any twisting or changing directions very quickly should be avoided. If you're accustomed to jogging/running you can continue but no more than 3 miles at a time.

I think most importantly is don't exhaust yourself. It seems like lifting a fork in the first few weeks can be tiring enough without the added stresses of TKD training :) .

I hope all goes well for you...I'm interested in hearing how compatible pregnancy and TKD are :D .

Kelly

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

DON'T listen to that advice ;) (it is safe and as much if not more fun than when it put you in that "situation" as he put it ;) )

7. whitematt

whitematt Valued Member

My wife trained (and competed) during her first and second pregnancy. Obviously sparring was a no-no.

Before taking the advice of anyone here, discuss this with your doctor. They will have an informed opinion of your condition, and can make the (medically) appropriate recommendations.

Matt White

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Other than sparring, do whatever you want to do! It'll keep you healthier and make you feel better further into your pregnancy, and CONGRATULATIONS!!

[​IMG]

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Many congratulations Gem, hope everything goes smoothly. I take it this is your first?

Best of luck,
    Mitch

10. ember

ember Valued Member

For the moment. There are other limitations as it progresses, I think, but I don't have any experience with the later trimesters.

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I trained up until my 6th month although I know of others that have trained until the due date.

Just as whitematt mentioned and as I suggested on other threads regarding training whilst pregnant, do discuss with your doctor as every pregnancy as well as woman is different.

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think that'd be a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. In fact, the horse is practically a dot on the horizon :D

Congrats Gem :)

13. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Congrats, Gem!! This will change your life forever, and you're gonna love it, too!!

14. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Valued Member

One of the Ladies at our dojo trained up untill about 8mnths into her pregnancy (she was a Black belt). She participated with pretty well everything bar sparring.

To be honest, she made me really nervous. A simple slip could have lead to trajic circumstances.

15. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

Congrats Gem.
    Hope it all goes well and keep up the training aye. I can't really offer any advice so thats all i can say.
    :D

16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

hi gem, i would like to let you know that even if you are pregnant, i am still here for you. just say the word coz you're always in my heart...

hahaha! just messing around with you!

finally, you'll have a training partner in a few years.

17. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

Congrats, Gem! :D

Your doctors and midwives will probably freak out at the mention of martial arts but if you use your brain and listen to your body you should be able to train as much as you want (bar sparring, obviously).

18. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Thanks everyone!!

I told my instructor and he's being brill. I reckon it will just be patterns for the moment, though they do have jumps as well (esp choong-moo I suck at that jump).

I'm due on or around 25th March.

Had a scan this morning confirming everything's good!!

was going to post it, but scanners being crap!!

19. stefthewise

stefthewise (Modestly self-titled)

Congratulations! :)

20. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Everyone sucks at that jump, but getting pregnant is going a bit far for an excuse to be bad at it don't you think?! :p

Congrats gem, wishing you all the best! :)