To RedBagani Filipino Emptyhanded arts-Pangamut,yaw-yan

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Viking, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viking

Viking Valued Member

hi RedBagani,
    Thank you so much for the information.I was not able to check the post 'cause my internet connection is being disconnected for the time being.
    Sorry for the ignorance made by me about the picture.I am late,still i will say that u can inform Yaw-Yan headquarters about this or atleast u can post this in Yaw-yan Yahoo groups.I still wonder why Mr Tadefa or his students is still silent about this.As you know anywhere in the internet if there is the name of Zapata,there is also a story of 103 undefeated fights.Mr Tadefa can take legal actions in this case if he wish.Once again sorry for my ignorance and sorry for being late
    Viking

2. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi Burunkol
    i have some doubts about Yaw-Yan kicks.I have read an article about Yaw-Yan in 'Inside Kung fu ' magazine.In that article it is written that Yaw-yan has around 200 kicks or more which is derived from the basic 40 kicks.And could you please explain about the flamboyant kicks and how they are used in the fights.Is these kicks just used as distraction technique?was these kicks used as a direct technique before ?Can you please explain.

3. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Is YY a unique Style or a unique training program???

If you believe that simply training harder is the ultimate training philosophy that will guarantee success in the ring, than good for you. I will not argue with that. Personally, though, if I want to beat another fighter, I would not only train harder, I would also train SMARTER.

If style is not important as you say, why does YY call itself "The World's Deadliest Martial Art"? Why is there a need to create ArDigma when one can just pick up any other martial art? If what you say is true that style is not important but how hard one trains, shouldn't it be more accurate to dub YY as "The Most Intensive and Difficult Martial Art Training Program in the World"?

Amok, you have made a sweeping statement that would include the highly-esteemed Emilio Zapata, who, as you know is currently teaching YY in Pasay. I don't think it is fair to impute ulterior motives to ALL present instructors of YY. I am just curious about you. What makes you qualified to condemn other YY instructors? Are you better than master Zapata or the others? If so, then I will perhaps take your comments seriously. If not, I will have to suspect your intentions.

4. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Internet Use

Hello Viking,
    You have posted interesting questions, some of which I will leave to YY practitioners to answer. I am glad you are getting the answers you were looking for.
    About master Rolly Tadefa being silent, you know, not everyone has the inclination to surf the net. Please don't take silence as meaning being in agreement or acceptance. I also think taking legal action is not an option. Anyway, I would like to leave that issue behind. Rest assured I am trying to straighten things on my end. I don't think YY website will include my wonderful photo showing master tadefa's victory over YY champ in its photo gallery.
    If you have any other questions regarding Filipino empty-hands arts, excluding YY of course because the YY people can answer those better, I will try to provide answers. I am very happy you are taking great interest in the Filipino martial arts. Salamat and mabuhay!

5. Amok

Amok Valued Member

Agreed.

6. Viking

Viking Valued Member

pangamut

hi redbagani,
    havent hear from you for a long time.Ithink everyone is fed up of yaw-yan discussion.Lets move to the next art,Pangamut and Dumog or Dumpag of The PEKITI TIRSIA KALI.Could you please explain about this system.In their website they are claiming that its one of the real emptyhanded art which is indegenious to philippines.
    Thank You

7. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi Burunkol
    you havent replied for my last queries,so if you have time ..please
    thank you
    Hi Burunkol
    Viking

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hey that sound painfull, I will have another beer and think about it.
    I must admit I do love you responces, the make my old ugly face look pretty sometime, even with my foot. (can't put the smileys in as my computor is ancient like me)

Best regards

Pat

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Good point, but not everyone is fed up with the Yaw Yan discussion, more details and more info makes for more understanding. Hey Red you keep it comming.

Best regards

Pat

10. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

hi viking :) i apologize for not replying quickly to your post :D
    those 200 kicks are derived form combinations and variations of the 40 basic kicks. each one has it's own purpose. this is made possible by using different positions for the attack. for example, if i were to do a frontal kick, i could hit using either the balls or the heel of the feet (uhmmm... dunno if that's the right name but it's supposed to be the 2 most muscular area at the bottom), and both of them has their own function. this contributes to our skill for us to kick at different angles and positions.

the flamboyant or trick kicks are not used as often as the basic kicks. think of it as special moves wherein you just use them when the time is right. the reason behind this is that basic kicks are still more powerful, more effective, more simpler, and more easier to use.
    the main advantage of these kicks is that they are unusual and unexpected thus most are caught by surprise. a great deal of concern is given to proper timing and positioning to execute these kicks properly. yawyan's movements are composed of series of steps, strikes, and follow-ups which makes it an effective art.
    hitting with these trick kicks is very hard, the accuracy is quite low compared to head-on strikes, that is why we don't usually strike with just one move, instead we make use of combinations in preparation for these kicks.
    hope my post helps :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  11. Viking

Viking Valued Member

thank you burunkol, ur mail is really informative and i think it will help to eliminate lot of misconceptions about yaw-yan kicks.
    Thank You
    Viking

12. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

ur very much welcome viking. as we all know, yaw-yan does not have luxury to be reviewed, examined, and criticized. it still is a little known art compared to other great styles of ma. this is also true for the majority of the filipino arts. it is of great help that there are folks still aiming to spread the right info and straight-out whats been misunderstood. :Angel:

13. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hello Pat, I'm glad you are also interested in other aspects of FMA, not just the weapon arts. I will, of course, keep on replying queries the best I can.

Hello Viking,
    I mentioned before that technical questions about Yaw Yan I would leave for YawYan practitioners to answer. I will also say the same thing about Pekiti-Tirsia since there are other MAPers who are more qualified to describe the system. However, there are a few things I can share about PKT, since I learned a few things from the late Edgar Sulite, who studied directly under Tuhon Gaje, and is related to him through marriage.

Edgar Sulite incorporated a lot of PKT techniques in his Lameco system, specially close-quarters and knife-fighting. While Edgar also studied under other eskrima legends, he told me personally that the best teacher he had was Tuhon Gaje. Now, I know this bit of information will ruffle a lot of feathers but I am just putting down in writing what I clearly heard more than a decade ago. Let me explain, some masters are martial arts genuises (e.g Ilustrisimo, Jose Caballero, Jesus Abella) but were not automatically effective instructors. From what Edgar told me, and also from what I have heard from present PKT students, Tuhon had a knack for teaching and motivating students. Tuhon Gaje also has the propensity to continously update his system. As a close-quarter system, it should be no surprise that PKT has its own set of empty-hand and grappling techniques. As far as the technical soundness of PKT, I can vouch for its validity.

If there is something I disagree with PKT, it will be in their official version of Kali. But, hey, my own theory is just as good/bad as anybody's. If the website says their grappling system is called Dumpag, then, okay, maybe that is true. The aborigines of Panay were short, dark-skinned people related to the Aetas and Dumagats of Luzon. They play wrestling, but are generally considered gentle people.

PKT is a wothwhile FMA to learn. Some students, though, find it quite an expensive undertaking. But I think that really depends on who is teaching in what place.

14. Viking

Viking Valued Member

The Bolo Punches

Hi Burunkol,

How is the Bolo punches different from the boxing punches.In the article about Yaw-Yan in the "Inside Kung fu" magazine ,the author refers to a 'Binding Hands 'Technique used in Yaw-Yan,ie binding the opponent's hands with one arm and striking it with the other hand.Can you please explain on this as well?
    And could u give some information about YAW-YAN Close-Combat personal protection Training (for military, security, & bodyguards).I have seen an announcement about this in Yaw-Yan yahoo groups.
    thank You
    Viking

15. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

Hi Viking,
    The boxing punches are still included in the yaw-yan curriculum. in fact, we have still categorized it under our bolo punches.... for grouping purpose, i guess :confused: .
    but the main difference is this, bolo punches are the empty-hand form of Arnis. It is Arnis-less-the-sticks. It is executed in the same way as you would while holding a real stick thus, you hit using the whole/parts of your arms. This goes with the idea that weapons are extensions of our arms.

with regards to "Inside Kung fu" magazine's "Binding Hands", i'm really not sure on what they mean with that so i really can't comment on this one. but i would like to share something with you. similar to other MA, we have techniques that can be used to redirect the attack of the opponent. We call it 'pansama' or "for accompaniment". This is inline with one of our principles which is similar to arnis: go with the flow /non-resistance. perhaps this is what they're trying to discuss... but my guess might be wrong. :p

for the YAW-YAN Close-Combat personal protection Training (for military, security, & bodyguards).... i am not adept with this program so i could not give you any specific background on this. but as said previously, yaw-yan also has a combat training program. this involves dealing with attackers carrying guns, knives and any other weapon by using disarming techniques, locks, counters, and attacks. all these still run on yaw-yan techniques and principles. whatever one's purpose is - physical fitness, self-defense, sports, combat-art, etc.. - training programs can be made. depending on which, some techniques can be taught directly and some of lesser importance could be left out.

again, thank you so much for your interest. :)
    regards,
    bon

16. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Yaw-Yan Movies

Hi Burunkol
    is there any videos or movies that show's Yaw-Yan.I read that some of the actors like Boy Fernandez and Rey Malonzo has some yaw-yan actions in their movies.I got the name of two movies ,but it is in the filippino language Tagalog.
    Can you please translate these names to English.
    1."Ako ang Sasagupa- Patay kung Patay"
    2."Ako and Sasagupa pt.2- Wala Akong Binuhay na Kaaway".
    Is it able get the CD's of these movies?Where can i buy it?
    Thank You
    Viking

17. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi
    Next time, i would like to mail the entire article about Yaw-Yan which was published in "Inside Kung-fu magzine" in this forum.I am currently working upon it and it takes a lot of time to type the entire article, as my typing speed is very low.Hope i can send that article next week.
    Thank You
    Viking

Hi Burunkol i got one more technical doubt about Yaw-Yan.Do Yaw-Yan use limb destructions (Defanging the snake concept) which is used by most of the filippino arts.

18. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi Redbagani,
    havnt heard u for along time.really missing your prescence here in this forum.
    Viking

19. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

More Empty-Hands?

Hello Viking,
    I have been posting some stuff on the other threads. Honestly, I don't know what else to post on this thread regarding Filipino empty-hands. One way of looking at the topic is that after all has been written, there is little else to discus. Another way at looking at it is there is really so much to discuss, where can we really start or end?
    May I be the one asking you the questions this time - what do you train in, and where? Maybe I can give you some tips on how to augment your training and practical knowledge. Cheers!!!

By the way, if you are in Manila, we can meet and talk. Just PM me.

20. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

hi viking,

unfortunately, most of the old video copies, records, and pictures of yaw-yan had been included when the old gym caught fire. it's a big lost to us. Currently, the seniors are pulling up their efforts and collaborating with each other to gather up what's remaining so they could share these to the younger generation and future members of the league.

however we have an annual tournament called sagupaan ng yaw-yan wherein yaw-yan practitioners battle out with different martial arts group/clubs. recent tournaments had already been caught on tape but because of lack of fundings, these are presented only in an amateur level (poor picture, poor camera shoot, poor cinematography, poor/no direction...but the essence of capturing the action is there :D ). for now, these are the only fight videos i could recommend you.

i have picture clippings of these videos in the pasay blogsite which you can find in my signature below. please feel free to check it out :love:

i have looked for the motion pictures you stated... im not familiar with them and i have'nt seen them still... but i've looked into the philippine film development council website and found out these two films you've mentioned:

Ako Ang Sasagupa(direct translation would be: i'll be the one to fight)
    Wala Akong Binuhay Na Kaaway (direct translation - i leave no enemy alive)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.