To jog or not to jog?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bluedog, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

I don't know where you get your information from but I don't agree with this.

At least one study agrees with me:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16075783?dopt=Abstract

Also, the highest recorded VO2maxes belong to endurance athletes, not sprinters:
    Bjorn Daehlie the Norwegian cross-country skier recorded a 94ml/kg/min
    Greg LeMond the tour de france cyclist has second highest with 92.5 ml/kg/min

I'd be interested to see any studies which show otherwise if you know of any.

HIIT certainly has it's place in any training regime, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than other types of training.

2. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Jogging is a tool. Just like HITT. In physical fitness, it is always a good idea to switch up what you are doing. Be it free weights vs. machines, jogging vs. HIIT...there is room for all of it. Combine it and find out what works best for you. Maybe it will be jog once a week while doing 3 days of HIIT at the end of your weight training, or maybe something else. I would definitely leave jogging in at least once a week though. Just my .02!

3. Rocco_1

Rocco_1 Valued Member

there's actually hundreds of studies done on the effects of HIIT on Vo2max. the most known and researched forms of HIIT include 15/15, 30/30 training, and probably the most recognized, Hoff J's 4x4s training. :)

start resourcing from journals and sports texts rather than men's health magazine.

u can find plenty of research on interval training, and also comparative studies at sources such as -

www.acsm-msse.org
    www.ms-se.com
    www.pubmed.com
    www.bjsm.bmj.com

im not gonna spoon feed the exact journals and studies, but a monkey could draw an educated conclusion from the reviews available here.

4. Rocco_1

Rocco_1 Valued Member

5. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

I practice running, not 'jogging' as such. I think of it as part of my self defense skills. If you can go flat out for a mile, you're probabally going to loose most assailents whether they be any of:

Policemen weighed down with stabproofs/
    grimy charves who smoke two packs a day/
    drunks who will fall over sooner or later

6. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

are you implying you'r a criminal ? :p

7. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

I'm not disagreeing that interval training can increase VO2max. And initially interval training can have larger increases in VO2max than aerobic training.
    What I disagree on is that interval trained athletes have higher VO2maxes than endurance trained.

The reason I ask for your evidence is because you so adamantly say interval trained has higher V02max than endurance trained that surely you can supply them to support your claim?

Oh and thanks for the tip on sites for articles... did you notice the one I posted was from pubmed? Next time try not to be so patronising. I was hoping for a mature discussion on the matter, not some name calling, smart ass response like yours.

8. Rocco_1

Rocco_1 Valued Member

it wasnt me saying that the interval trained athletes have higher Vo2 max than aerobic based athletes, it was the other user

infact i quite agree with you, its not hard to find info on athletes data. cross-country skier Bjorn Dæhlie
    recorded a vo2max of 96 ml/kg/min more supporting evidence towards the aerobic based athlete.

i was just posting my 2cents on HIIT was all:)

9. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

Lol, all im saying is nanny state... this time in twenty years it may as well be 1984!

10. zabSE

zabSE New Member

LOL. @ the policemen remark :p

Jogging is a great way to keep your cardio up and burn some calories.

It's a great way to train for novice students as it lets them build strength and cv fitness which I find many students lack.

as a result, interval training ( jogging ) and skipping is a central part of training. The newer students tend to sleep between training sessions and for a week as they are really exhausted, and they really do not like it to start off with, but each and every student really does feel the benefits.

When we compare our residential students with our non-residential ones we really do notice the difference a structured running program makes.

11. leafhound

leafhound New Member

running through beautiful countryside = feel good

12. mlawrence

mlawrence New Member

If your concerned about the long term damage to your knees from running, try biking instead. A good 30 mins off road on a mountain bike will undoubtedly open up your lungs and can be a pleasant experience. If you live in the city then pedal to and from work. This will certainly take away the impact on your knees from running and has the additional benefits of improving your balance and using additional muscles that running will not use.

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Jogging stays in my routine because I enjoy it. I just do it for the hell of it though, and I live in a beautiful part of the world so it's a thing in its own right. For martial arts though, interval training (which I also do) is the way to go, I reckon. Anyone tried these http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml ?

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

oh wow - not seen Body By Fish in a while. Interesting link... this is the cat who was the navy diver. Passed the BUD's selection but not a SEAL because he was a different unit or something. Always had good stuff on his site.

Will check it out and let you know... might fit right into my current workouts. Always up for something new.

15. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

yeah, body by fish rocks :)