To jog or not to jog?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bluedog, Jul 25, 2008.

1. bluedog

bluedog New Member

Right I'm studying jeet kune do. For my cardio sessions, I jog for half an hour and then do basic punches/kicks etc in the air for another half an hour. (I have no bag)

But I know that even a little bit of jogging takes it's toll on the knee joints and also if done with speed the punches are a helluva lot more exhausting than jogging is.

So I was thinking that I might as well drop jogging completely and replace it with even more basic strikes since it seems more effective anyway.

But I know that boxers do a lot of jogging, I don't know why though? If there's a good reason for them to do so, I guess it would probably apply to me too?

I guess it's always handy to be a good runner just in case you need to flee like the wind from an armed mob though lol!

2. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

The main reason I can see for jogging, is developing/using different muscles in a different way, does your basic training involve free moving, or are you puching from a stationary position. If you are in the one stop punch, your legs probably aren't getting much benefit, like when your jogging, your arms/upper body isn't getting much benefit. If anything, I would add another half hour of body weight exercises (push-ups, chin-ups, sit-ups, dips and squats).

Also if your not feeling the benefits of it, maybe try HIIT/Tabata intervals (sprint for 20sec jog/walk for 10sec and repeat). You'll be sucking air pretty heavy after, but you'll notice a much bigger gain over a few weeks.

3. liero

liero Valued Member

jogging will develop your cardio, endurance. It can help strengthen your leg muscles.

I dont do a great deal of running but it is a helpful fitness training tool.

Do you do your punches infront of a mirror, to watch your form?

4. bluedog

bluedog New Member

Yeah, I form check in a mirror, it's good to be able to keep it tight when exhausted. :)

I'm already doing strength training in the gym, so I'm not bothered about anything other than the cardiovascular benefits.

However I've been told it's best to do half jogging half basic drills becasue jogging is good for longer term endurance whilst the drills only work short intense bursts.

5. Svart

Svart Valued Member

If you find the jogging is very hard on your knees then find a decent hill and just jog up it, then slowly walk down. As you go up just keep on the balls of your feet. Burns the hell out of your legs and will get your heart rate going.
    On coming back down just back sure you take it easy at the shock from slapping your feet down is quite nasty on your shins and joints.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I'm a bit confused about the whole jogging damaging your joints issue.

I mentioned it to a friend of mine and he said that if you ran on a field(that wasn't baked dry by the sun) instead of on concrete you'd probably actually strengthen the joints.

I dunno really.

Personally I hate jogging so I skate instead :)

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I believe all this is true. I think there are even recent studies that show that running is actually good for your knees.

8. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Fighting, like life, is not aerobic. Answer your question?

9. bluedog

bluedog New Member

Yeah alright, I'm going to keep doing both.

10. wires

wires Valued Member

Running and endurance training for fighting / Jeet Kune Do

DO NOT DO NORMAL JOGGING! It will only help you some for fighting.

Instead do a High Intensity Interval Workout.

You can read about it here:
    http://www.stlouistrainingcircle.com/endurance.training.htm

This workout was formulated by Taku, a successful strength trainer who often posts on the MMA.TV website.

This workout is FAR more interesting than a normal 30 minute jog, and it will make your fighting endurance go THROUGH THE ROOF.

I'm not playing. Give it the twice a week, one month trial, and see how your fighting improves.

Taku has great advice for fighters. His wordpress page is here:
    http://74.200.219.156/public/98.cfm

11. bluedog

bluedog New Member

Thanks wires, 2 really helpful posts.
    I remember doing high intensity before.

After a rather bad spell, I was left flabby weak and unfit. I started martial arts, body weight exercises and a ******** of cardio. Once I managed to burn the fat off I stopped the bodyweight exercises and started strength training in the gym, I heard that HIIT was better than normal cardio because it was less likely to impede muscle growth. And now that I think about it.. yeah my fighting endurance went through the roof, thanks for the reminder!

Unfortunately after that, I concentrated on muscular hypertrophy and stupidly stopped almost all cardio for a few months.. I put a lot of muscle and fat on, but beacause I was so disgusted with the flab I stopped everything and lost the muscle too!

Bluedog is only going to bulk cleanly from now on! I guess can't handle the flab psychologically, really hate the slightest amount.. yuck. Screw the bodybuilding cycles lol.

But yeah, I will look forward to starting the hiit and never stopping the cardio again thanks!

12. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Jogging is great. But interval training might be better. however, you should not do interval training if you are too young/old. My sport teacher at school tells you should be between 20 and 30 years old to do interval training.

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You are most likely going to put on some fat if you put on muscle dude. It's a natural consequence. You can keep it to a minimum by putting on muscle very slowly, but you're still going to put it on.

This is a false statement.

Even if you do HIIT or tabata, jogging is still great for building aerobic capacity. The reason that boxers jog a lot is because they have to go for many many 3 minute rounds, both in training and in competition. So jogging is very beneficial for anyone who is spending more than 12 minutes continuously exercising. It's beneficial for me because I'll roll at my jiu jutsu class for 15+ minutes straight in any given session. When I jog, I can see performance boosts almost immediately. However, it's not part of my normal training regimen, whilst HIIT/tabata is. Take from that what you will.

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

there is not many better ways to increase your aerobic endurance.

Jog On!

skipping also.

15. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

I reckon that although jogging isn't the optimum conditioning tool for a fighter (I still think its good) it's a strong indicator of your "general" fitness, any young MA without injury should easily be able to bust out a 10k jog or so & if not I'd say that their overall fitness/conditioning should be examined.
    I guess the reason i say this is because i reckon so many people ignore jogging because it's hard or boring & go straight to more complex HIIT stuff before building up a good solid base.

16. Lily

Lily Valued Member

bluedog - stop punching and kicking in the air. you're probably going to get some knee injury doing that rather than jogging.

As to jogging causing problems, as someone stated, unless you have some inherent skeletal misalignment, you'll be fine.

Definitely with everyone on the interval training bandwagon, but I always include 2 long jogs a week (around 1 hour) which helps build my endurance, teaches me how to relax through a long steady state cardio set plus its just makes me feel good after a long week of JJJ/BJJ/Weight training/Plyometrics/Interval training.

17. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

swimming is the answer,wot's the questio ??

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

General fitness?!? Sorry mate but I'm calling shenanigans. The only thing that jogging tells you about "general fitness" is how long you can run slowly for. General fitness includes this but also includes anerobic conditioning, strength, flexibility and speed, amongst others.

Jogging is good for older people who don't get that much exercise and want to keep their heart in shape. For sport it's nigh on useless unless you are supremely unfit or recovering from injury. Interval training is FAR more effective at everything you want from cardio training. It has actually been shown numerous times that athletes who undergo a lot of interval training but do relatively no aerobic or steady state work have some of the highest VO2 max levels (the indicator of aerobic fitness) and almost always have a higher VO2 max than most athletes who exclusively do aerobic work. There is nothing complicated about HIIT, and if you are talking about aerobic training being hard then you obviously haven't done HIIT before! Personally I find jogging boring as hell and despite the fact that I can do it for a long time, I don't because I prefer to do HIIT because I get far better results. If jogging gave better results I would put the ipod on and do that instead. Leave jogging to the un-fit people.

19. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

Yeah you got me there - fair play:)

I do HIIT stuff & really enjoy it despite the hard work, I think the reason that I find jogging hard (& maybe other peeple) is due to the mental aspect knowning that I have a long way/long time still to go!

That said Jogging will stay in my routine, not all the time but probably once a month, if nothing else i feel pretty chuffed with myself once ive finished a long jog.

20. Rocco_1

Rocco_1 Valued Member

why bother running at all if your a fighter? - You dont see Marathon Runners hitting the Pad's to get in shape for a 10k. :)