To hit or not to be hit...

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

...that is the question. Is it nobler in the mind to suffer the pains of taking a hard hit, or to face them and hit harder??

{Translation} Which is more important, to take a hard hit or to hit hard?

2. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I dunno if this question can actually be answered with a "correct" answer. I mean sure it's important to hit hard, but it's also important to beable to take a hard hit. So my answer is gonna be try to balance um as much as possible.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Depends on your goal. If it's self-defence on da str33t then I would say hitting hard is far more important. Imagine:

"give me your wallet"

"*ONE HIT KNOCK OUT*... no, give me your wallet"

4. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

there is a limit to the amount of pain you can take, so i focus on strengthening my strikes. if you work hard, the endurance and pain tolerance will come naturally from your training.

5. Kirberus

Kirberus Valued Member

Someone's read Hamlet methinks. Kinda odd paraphrase but whatever floats your boat:D

I don't focus on either but rather just developing my technique. Both of those skills come through training so that's what I try to do.

Now if I had to pick which one I'd say would be more important, I'd say hitting hard so you could stop the threat fast. If you could take hard hits but you couldn't take the guy out eventually you will lose your ability to take the hits and you will lose. If you hit hard you can at least hopefully end the threat before you get your block knocked off.

6. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

What about accuracy? A hard hit is nothing if it cant hit anything.

7. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

Be honest Adam, its a fond memory :D

Id go with being able to hit hard,focus on timing,accuracy etc first.Most importantly,dont get hit.
    Dodge the shot then open a can of whup :D :woo: :woo:
    How do you train to take a punch to the temple :confused:
    Im sure if you want to improve your ability to get hit you could find some real enthusiastic people outside a chip shop when the night clubs are over!
    Seriously though I think I seen in another forum that you can deaden the nerves in your legs etc? ? ?

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Being able to dish it out is more likely to bring it to a conclusion before a serious injury is sustained.

Although, I have had some occasions where I withstood their best shot and stayed standing, and the aggressor decided running was a good option for him. Truth be known, some of the hits nearly did me in, they could have toppled me with a finger if they had known. Which evens out, cause the other times I was so livid if they had stuck around I surely would have beaten them to death. Is he injured and near down or entering a homicidal rage? Better guess correctly.

9. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Being able to give pain works across the board generally, while taking it might be good against a jab, but a knife... you could be a tough guy but a knife or :woo: will spill your guts just the same.

To give pain is better than to recieve pain.

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I have to go with the delivery of pain being more important. If possible I want to hit the attacker before s/he hits me. However, I also need to be able to absorb a strike, whether partially or totally)... so as a student I need to work against fast attacks and react to jamming them up or blocking before I counter. I also need to work avoiding the attack and countering and I need to work pre-emptively attacking.

Basically I want to hit them harder than they hit me (and prevent their hitting me if possible).

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

What's noble about getting hit?

12. bcullen

I have no idea, I hear that if the Queen hits you with the flat of a sword everyone has to call you sir, which must really suck if you're a lady :confused: :D ~ You wacky british types.

13. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

*chuckle*, interesting take on knighting, bcullen, but the Queen might just use the sharp end next time if you disrespect her again. :D :cool:

14. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Ask master Yoda how Jedi get knighted. Do they ALL have robotic arms?

15. bcullen

I would but I think his answer would involve him crowning me with an escrima stick. :eek:

16. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Hitting hard. If you don't hit hard then you won't win for sure.