To be or not to be?

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Lily, Jul 11, 2007.

1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

2. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

And instead of picking up the soap they'll force you to eat rug. GAH

So, when did this womens self defense section pop up :D I'm either blind or I've been away too long...

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hey Lily,

I realise you want to get the extra exercise, but surely you could sacrifice the little you get when walking home for your safety? Sounds like you get enough without putting yourself at risk this way.

It has never really crossed my mind to be honest to carry some kind of weapon,I try not to walk around on my own at night,which makes me feel much safer.

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

Did you intend this to be so rude?

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Is pepper spray legal in Oz?

6. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Su, you're right but I'm stubborn. Plus after class I need that walk to come down from the adrenaline rush etc. I never considered a weapon till now either.

And I still believe no woman should have to be scared, no matter what time of day/night.

V - hahahah, missed you! I ain't eating NO RUG, I'd be able to beat up any woman in prison. This is a forum of the Self-defence, been around a long time :)

7. Victoria

I saw it in a film once ;)

I used to carry a knife, but now I'm not that dumb :Angel: . Seriously if you're not compitent with a weapon, don't carry it!!!

Seeing as this is womens self defense, Lily, something as simple as body spray, nail files...Though bare in mind if you're attacked, in reality you're not going to have time to be scuffling around in your handbag.

8. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Good point victoria.

lily - if mace and self defense sprays are illegal - buy yourself a small can of spray paint, preferrably the sort that doesnt wash off too easy ... and carry it in your hand.

Benefits:

Its legal
    In the eyes/face its going to put off an attacker
    Its going to mark them, making them easier to identify for police

Disadvantages:

Its not going to knock em out
    Its not fatal

9. Victoria

Spray paint is a good idea :cool: Assuming it's acceptable with the law there

10. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Then to be honest you choose to put yourself in harms way.

You're correct you shouldn’t have to change your life for people like them but unfortunately this isn't an ideal world, it's a sad fact that the good guys and gals ;) often do need to take preventative measures to stay safe and no amount of people ranting about rights and freedom etc is going to make a difference when it hits the fan.

Yes in an ideal world women should be able to do things without fear of attack but it just doesn’t' work that way. Face it the guy who is going to jump you isn't going to care about your rights, freedom or what you should or shouldn’t be able to do in your town.

It reminds of the story of the young woman who after completing a self defence course said "I'll feel much safer walking over the fields at night now" :bang: :bang: :bang:

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I agree with Spooky.It's all very well being stubborn Lily but it really isn't worth putting yourself at risk for a bit of extra exercise or just to prove something to yourself.
    The streets (as we keep being reminded by Sprint) can be nasty places and that's a fact we women need to remember.Yes,those of us who do an ma may be slightly more able to get away or somehow stun an attacker, but the best advice is don't get in that position in the first place.
    There have been a few serious sexual assaults on women in the park where I work, and tbh having a weapon in my bag hasn't crossed my mind.I don't even carry a personal attack alarm as when it is quiet there,it is really quiet with noone around. Instead I try and minimise the risks where ever it is possible rather than thinking more about which weapon to carry etc.
    It really isn't worth it.

12. Lord Spooky

Quite right.

See I'm brilliant. ;)

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Pfft! You sometimes speak a small amount of sense :p

14. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Other people's mileage may and probably will vary but here's a true story from my own experience.

Many many years back, in my fevered youth, I carried a knife regularly. It was usually tucked away in an inside jacket pocket. I'm not proud of that and I don't condone it. I was just a stupid kid. I'm embarrassed to think of it. That knife gave me a sense of confidence that I could handle rough situations. But it was a false confidence because the fact is that I'd probably not have stabbed anyone with it anyway and drawing it may have escalated a situation far further than it might otherwise have gone. I was so unbelievably lucky in hindsight.

Anyway, the true story. One night I got jumped by a group of lads and a girl. Everything's going badly right from the start. My mate was separated out so we couldn't even help each other. Aha, the knife! I was that concerned with trying to access my weapon and the false confidence it gave me that I had taken a battering before I suddenly realised "stop messing about and just fight. It's too late for the knife". Interestingly, after this I never carried a knife again.

The moral of this story is that my personal experiences have shown me that if you don't have it in your hand at the start of the fight, it's not going to get used during the fight. At least not unless there is some kind of break in the action. If you fumble for a weapon, you'll get screwed over.

Now ask yourself whether you could actually walk around with the knife ready to use in your hand? If the answer is no, why bother carrying it for surprise self defense circumstances?

Now ask yourself whether you could actually walk around with a six cell Maglite in your hand? There's your answer. The Maglite is readily available, legal and actually useful if you are walking home in the dark etc.

Just my personal thoughts.

15. Lord Spooky

Good points Andy.

16. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

Personally id recomend a verry good quality rape/panic alarm,and have it somewhere VERRY accessable,as in loop the rope on it through your walking home coat sleeves,or tie onto your jeans or some such.

I dont recomend the knife for the many reasons stated,and at grappling range the knife is about as much his as it is yours and you maybe unprepared for the psychology of actually using the knife if its not part of your everyday routine, and even if it is, its a million miles away from the classroom no matter how realistic.

I carry some of this spray http://www.stoppa.co.uk, ive never had too use it but its just nice knowing its there, do you have similar products in Australia?

however it has been said that such 'spray and pray' items dont have the stopping power of either its main attack (the spray) or when using the canister as an impact weapon(not verry good)

A weighty torch is too big to draw at short notice, try the drawing drill to test this, have the man about 3 ft away, have him come towards you with intent,see if you try and grapple/hit him first, or have the time to draw your torch, ive always found you try and stop with with your hands before you think to pull the torch which takes your fence away for those vital few closing seconds.

If you are set on carrying the knife, go smaller,much smaller than a bowie, you want something that can be used at the close up gritty range such as a small belt buckle knife or thumbknife,which unlikely to be wrestled away from you.

I think a Pen would be a good legal substitue here, a good quality pen (parker or a tough biro) used in short thrusting motions,good if you get him,not a complete disaster if he takes it from you,also must be carried in a position thats easy to withdraw from,but make sure its a stout pen,to practice what could be good if you use some cheap biro pens or something of similar shape against a BOB,or something head shaped.

Good luck in your search to find something that will make you feel better to carry!

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yep,I also agree with Andy too! :)

18. Victoria

Just don't carry it in your pencil case :D

Attacker - "give me your money!!"

You - "hang on a sec, let me just grab my pen..."

Hey that may work in confusing him :D

19. Lord Spooky

That's give me an idea for a bit of verbal disarmament:

Bad guy “give me your money”

“Would you prefer cash or cheque?” *reaches for pen*

:D

20. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

lol, this is why all RBSD badasses have pocket protectors with a lethal range of parker pens in there top pocket :cool:

Just find whats good for you with some good quality scenario drills and sparring,anaylse your daily walks and think what you could reasonably have on you at that time to defend yourself with.

ie - are you likely to have a bowie knife on you when your at a nightclub - no
    however are likely to have a reasonable reason to carry a pen - probably

i just think legally and safety wise the knife isnt a good option unless the knife is a staple of your training reigime.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007