TKD Weapons

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Rhythmkiller, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Hey guys,

I just seen a video of Bren Foster using swords and staff in a TKD demo. Are weapons part of TKD training?

Baza

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Link?

I suspect it will not be of the best quality; most MA weapon demos are peopel making up what they think they will do as they never have fought with their weapon of choice

3. Rhythmkiller

Linked to the video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe3u50AjNpU"]Bren Foster - Taekwondo - YouTube[/ame]

Baza

4. Hannibal

Pretty poor weapon work bolted onto TKD/gymnastics....standard MA "weapon" form and not my cup of tea at all

Most of these look like "movie fu" - it's clear he has skill physically, but no idea what he is actually doing with the weapon

5. Rhythmkiller

Looks fantastic though.

Baza

6. Hannibal

So does Kate Beckinsale in a bikini but I am not fighting with her....well maybe some grappling

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's generally an awfully good clue that it's not real weapon work. Actual sword combatives, etc. are usually far less dramatic because they don't come down to fancy moves. They come down to bog standard moves delivered with skillful timing, range, angle, etc.

Try looking for some legitimate Japanese swordsmanship and oggle the difference. It's considerable.

8. Rhythmkiller

Yeah really just wanting to know how a TKD gets to use a sword. I want one.

Baza

9. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I am unaware of there being any weapons in traditional TKD.

I do occasional Kenjutsu lessons, but I haven't had that many, I only know two cuts and tbh they both need a lot of work.

If you want to learn to use a sword I'd suggest western martial arts or a Kenjutsu school. I have also heard of Iaido and kendo, but don't know too much about them.

10. Rhythmkiller

Kate Beckinsale looks good in anything.

Baza

11. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Karate tournament fluff.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You have two choices then. You can purchase a cheap sword online and swing it about indiscriminately in either 1) your backyard or 2) a school that's unqualified to teach actual application and unconcerned as long as it looks good…

OR

You can find legitimate instruction in weaponry. The specific weapons are going to have a big influence on how easy it is to find instruction. I'm just outside DC, so there's everything from traditional Japanese swordsmanship and modern kendo to historical and sport fencing. Your mileage may vary.

I'd encourage you, though, to think long and hard about whether you want to dedicate your time and energy to mastering a way to impress the uninitiated or mastering the actual application of an actual weapon.

13. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

FMA has my heart when it comes to blades.
    An FMA player can be flashy or simple but one thing is for sure...
    An FMA player is deadly with a blade.
    For me the practicality of a machete/espada is what drew me to practice FMA.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Same here

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I lost any respect I might have had for his athleticism when the video showed him throwing a weapon around with kids sitting behind.

Organisers need shooting for that too. :woo:

Oh yeah and movie fu.

16. Dean Winchester

Which ryu-ha do you study?

17. Dean Winchester

Actually no it doesn't.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Am I right in thinking that there isn't a legitimate sword art in the world that would advocate or teach someone to do a backflip while holding a sword or to voluntarily throw the sword in the air and lose your grip on it?
    I see those sorts of things and know the person with the sword doesn't have a clue what they are doing.
    But maybe there is an old koryo ryuha that's all about the back flips and twirls? :)

19. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

That's a good question!

I actually have no idea, it's not Koryu, I am guessing that it's whatever is taught in the Genbukan.

20. Rhythmkiller

Yeah it does. A guy that does a backflip with sword in hand. Superb! Im liking this movie fu.

Baza