tkd newbie - leg pains normal ??

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by android, Feb 13, 2015.

1. android

android Valued Member

Ok, i know its only been a couple of weeks of classes, and i consider myself fairly fit for my age
    running and stretching is something i have always done.
    But i have got a bit of pain right at the top of my legs, its quite painful at the moment even when trying to do a side kick, for example.
    Trying not to overdo the stretching, is this just 'newbie' pains do you think? using thigh muscles for kicking, that are not used to being worked .?
    Another tae kwon do class tonight - i dont want to overdo it though!

Thanks
    Andy

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I suspect it's just your legs getting used to it. Some of the motions in kicking are not stuff you do everyday, so I suspect it's that rather than from stretching.

Lots of squats, bodyweight and weighted, I also found deadlifts helped, but build up slowly and look after yourself obviously.

Glad you're enjoying it :)

Mitch

3. android

android Valued Member

yes , think youre right - must be my legs getting used to it.
    Its the 'clicking' i dont like when i kick 'ouch'

4. Mitch

Mention it to your Instructor and ask them to look at your technique, just in case it's something there.

Mitch

5. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

When i first started TKD i got pretty sever pain at the top of thigh specifically when doing a sidekick. It has since been diagnosed as a tight IT band and it is really painful. Might be something to consider.

Baza

6. android

android Valued Member

IT Band- Could be that - time to use my 'Rumble roller' more at home :)

Although . doesn't that run more down the side of the upper leg
    This feels quite deep, right on the front at the top

anyway, roller will be good either way:)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

don't roll the IT band directly though, it's just a bunch of connective tissue. roll the muscles that attach to it (glute medius and minimus and TFL), which are the ones that apply tension to it (also the ones that lift your leg to the side).

8. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Hard to tell from your description if you have muscle or joint pain.

Do you know?

How old are you?

Unless you have a medical condition that makes it unsound to do this you may consider taking an anti inflamatory with some food 1/ hour before class. (Old runner's trick)

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You should make the distinction between aches and pains.

Aches are normal when muscles do things they're not used to.

Pain is a sign of possible damage and you should see a qualified medical professional to diagnose the cause.

10. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

As others have said, ensure it's muscle pain/soreness as opposed to a real issue. If massaging helps do that. Try heat. Ice immediately after training. Could be hip flexors getting used in ways you're not used to using them. Not sure how long you've been training but, as with any change in exercise routines, ease into it. Not everything has to be done at 100% power. There is no rush to kick over chest height either. Work you way up. As Mitch suggested, have your instructors critique your technique. Making sure you have a solid base and good technique will help reduce injuries, increase your range of motion, and increase your confidence.

Keep at it!

11. android

android Valued Member

dnthanks for all the replies.
    I could definitely feel it in my hips at the class last night. especially kicking with the left leg ( which is weaker anyway)
    I feel squats and lunges could be the way to go - just hope I haven't overdone things

was good to start learning the first pattern - might even get to wear a dobok soon !!!!

on another note - I sometimes wear Compression style undershorts when running
    Would these be any use in a TKD class - im thinking not, as they may restrict movement?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  12. narcsarge

Compression shorts are fine. It's a personal choice I'm sure. Only time I wear them is when I know I will be sparring. I have compression shorts and cup all-in-one. Keeps the jiggly bits bundled safe and snug!

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

compression underwear doesn't restrict movement, in my experience, or at least it never did mine.

14. Mitch

This.

In my experience they helped keep me warm during any lulls in class, so you were ready to go again without worrying about having cooled down.

Mitch

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's not uncommon to sprain your sartorius muscle if you're new to training. Might need a week off.

16. narcsarge

Dear Lord! In all my years of working out and training this is one muscle I have never even heard of. I am sure there are more but........ WOW! Now I have new excuse for calling off work; "I pulled my sartorius muscle in class". :p