TKD Books/Magazines to read?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Nyghtewynd, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

What style of TKD do you do and what price are you willing to pay for a book?

2. Will56

Will56 Valued Member

I train under AIMAA. Not sure what other style it would similar to.
    Regarding price, if the book is worth it, price isn't much of an issue.

3. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

4. Will56

Will56 Valued Member

I think its ITF, but can't say for certain, patterns are Chon ji, Do san, Yul Kok, Chun Gun etc.
    Anyone have any comments on the books on the AIMAA Website ??

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

6. Will56

Will56 Valued Member

Doesn't have to be specific to TKD, just a book that shows the basic kicks along with specific exercises for each kick to help with strenghtening and flexibility.

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

8. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

will why not get the masters kick and jumping kick by cho
    lots of stretches and strengh exercises for each kick

9. stoneheart

stoneheart Valued Member

10. Mahke

Mahke New Member

As a TKD beginner, there are two books which have really helped me. The first is StuartA's book (which is just amazing - Stuart, thanks for a great volume!), and the other is Master Jim Hogan's "Taekwon-Do Patterns" .

It's what I turn to when I am learning a new pattern and need to get things 'sorted' in my head; it's very practical, whereas Stuart's book is what I turn to when I want to find out why the pattern includes certain moves, and also a more solid explanation of it.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

and always be specific to say whether it is WTF or ITF or in general

12. Mahke

Mahke New Member

I guess the two books I mentioned are ITF. I'm not sure if WTF does any of the same patterns.

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Last time I replied to this, I was happy at the extra Hapkido coverage in the issues, but this time I have to comment on the latest two issues (since the new cover change/format change). Is it just me or has the depth of content really dropped?

A lot of the magazine is now "insirational stories", kids games, low level mystic commentary, and very articles that have any substantial historical or technical content in my opinion. Anyone feel the same?

Oh, and I really don't like all the Pro-North crap lately either. :rolleyes:

14. mcmillintkd

mcmillintkd New Member

TKD Times... yea...well I have to admit that I have given up on it completely. Waste of time and money. I tend to flip through it at the bookstore and perhaps read any interesting articles but seeing how few there are, well, I can usually read what I need just standing there. I am glad to see that Black Belt seems to have added a monthly article on TKD (though I gave up my subscription to this as well).

15. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

16. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

Undecided no more : ) Just ordered.

Thanks

17. StuartA

The Taegeuk Cipher
    by Simon John O'Neill

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I brought this book for a number of reasons, firstly because obviously pattern applications is a particular interest of mine and my Academy, secondly to support the cause of making patterns have more function in TKD than they presently do (though that is changing) be it Ch'ang Hon/ITF or Kukki/WTF and finally because I know and have seen Simon and knew what he has release so far via the internet, to be not only good, but have far reaching consequences into the system of Taekwondo he practices.

Okay, onto the book. Well, I knew it would be good and even though I only received it today I am very impressed. The book isnt just a collection of techniques and applications for the Taegeuk patterns (even though they form the core of the book) and even if it was, it would be worth the money for any WTF student and many other martial artists who dont have the same focus in regards to their forms/kata/patterns. However, the book includes much more, such as an in-depth history of Taekwondo and its development, so much so I would think many Karateka would learn a lot from it simply for the amount of info on the pre-TKD years and the background of famous Karate masters from all the various styles who form the lineage that eventually led to Taekwondos 'official' birth. Much information on who helped develop the Taeguek patterns and how their history and influence infused the patterns with variosu self-defence aspects such as grappling techniques, throws etc.

It also includes sections on the primary exchanges involved in a self-defence altercation and how the patterns relate, how to develop specific attributes to enhance what you learn/practice within the patterns, sections on patterns performance, sparring drills/exercises relating to pattern application (some of which I already use and a couple that I will certainly start to use) and even a section on how to formulate a practical patterns related syllabus.

Going onto the bulk of the book, the patterns are divided into chapters (obviously) however, the chapters are grouped to correlate to the stages involved in a self defence senerio, that of first attack, grappling range and finally advanced techniques, sothing which I think will help the student immensily. Of the chapters on each pattern, the basic steps/techniques of the pattern are shown by some smaller photographs at the top of each page, with the applications shown underneath in larger photographs. Each chapter covers each step of all the Taeguek patterns and involves mostly small combinations of techniques and how they combine to show the complete self defence applications.

The only (minor) bad points are some of the pictures are darker and/or smaller than I would of liked and require closer scruntany, though with that said, the majority are easy to see at first glance of the page 9wel, they were for me).

Though I've only had this book less than a day, being a Ch'ang Hon student obviously these patterns arnt the ones I practice, but I found myself actively searching out (and finding) techniques & combinations that are similar to what I perform in my own patterns to give me a different perspective on combinations that I know already, of which they there are many. With this in mind I would obviously, without doubt recommending this book to all KKW/WTF students and instructors (perhaps even some of those running the KKW :)), all ITF/Ch'ang Hon based students, many students of Karate and anyone else who likes reading about martial art histories or lack pragmatic applications within their own forms or katas, as you will undoubily find common ground.

In fact, I would go so far as to say Simon should be acknowledge as starting what is likely to be a revolution in the KKW/WTF world, something I hope he is remembered for; in recognition of his fore sight, efforts and achievement in releasing this book.

This book is 244 pages, a decent size of 18.9x24.6cm, perfect bound paperback with colour cover, black & white interior and has over 500 photos and lots of text. It will eventually be sold via Amazon, but at the moment it can be found/ordered on http://www.combat-tkd.com as well as http://www.lulu.com/content/2390574

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  18. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Practical Taekwondo: Back To The Roots

Hi all,

Well I was stunned to find that my book is now listed on Amazon for pre-orders! Major freakout moment :) Details are below.

Review
    "'A true 21st century martial artist. His research into keeping them relevant to the modern world should serve as an inspiration to all' - Iain Abernethy 5th Dan

Product Description
    Packed with over 500 photos and clear, step-by-step instructions, "Practical Taekwondo: Back to the Roots" offers a wealth of interpretations of ITF and WTF Taekwondo patterns. Using the techniques that the author has discovered and tested, it shows readers how they can find their own applications. ITF and WTF practitioners alike will find this book to be invaluable. No matter what level you are in your study of Taekwondo, this book will help you look at patterns in a completely different way. Whether you are a white belt or a black belt, this book is packed with information that will make your training practical and relevant to the social challenges of the twenty-first century.

Practical Taekwondo: Back to the Roots: Matthew Sylvester: Amazon.co.uk: Books

19. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

If you're interested in reading interviews with Choi Jung Hwa and Tony Vohra, I've added them to www.matthewsylvester.com.

20. StuartA

Totally Tae Kwon Do Magazine

Totally Tae Kwon Do is a brand new, free, online magazine for Tae Kwon Do enthusiasts across the globe.

Currently on Issue 2 soon, it's a magazine dedicated to all aspects of the martial art of Tae Kwon Do, arguably the world's most popular martial art and Olympic sport. The magazine caters for all styles of the art, so whether you're Ch'ang Hon/ITF, KKW/WTF or any other style of Tae Kwon Do, then the magazine will be of interest to you. So if you do Taekwon-Do, Taekwondo or Tae Kwon Do, then this magazines for you.

It features all aspects of the art, from great interviews to 'how to articles' to the sport and fighting side of the art and best of all it's free!

The magazine is totally free to read, distribute, copy, print and download so what are you waiting for... download the latest issue now!

http://www.totallytkd.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: