TKD Books/Magazines to read?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Nyghtewynd, Aug 30, 2004.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

anything TKD related in the book?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

In that it's related to using some TKD techniques for self defence, yes.

In that it's specifically related to TKD? Not particularly, though some of the techniques used will be familar.

If you're not working clinch, head control and similar as part of the SD component of your TKD in addition to the usual arsenal of kicks and punches, then a lot may be new. And interestingly productive :)

I'll also take a moment to mention Iain Abernethy's "Kata Based Sparring" DVD, a must IMHO for any practicioner who wants to take their techniques beyond the confines of tournament sparring. Abernethy is a Shotokan Karateka, but given the obvious and well documented links between the arts there is much for a TKD practicioner to learn here, including a completely new approach to sparring.

Mitch

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

4. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Ive Found "The Complete Masters Kick And The Complete MAsters Jumping Kick" both By GM Hee Il Cho Have been very beneficial in helping ith my techique and also to steal ideas for strtching and exercises used in my classes, Very well photographed and with every technique disected to allow for a bette runderstanding of what you should be doing(apart from the americanization used in the names of kicks its easy to follow and insightful)

5. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Book Info having a Positive effect on some orgs

Im pleased to know that the book stuff has been introdced by some orgs (I know many instructors have introduced the apps, but this is the first organisation Im aware of that has done so on an organisational level!)

Heres there report that was just brought to my attention!

http://www.herts-itf.co.uk/ie/Instructors course 07.htm

Cool :)

Stuart

Ps. If you cant be bothered reading the whole report heres some excerts (sorry, but Im pretty chuffed right now)

Simply inspiring’, ‘Absolutely drained, but I loved it!’, ‘The segments of how the patterns work and can be used in real life self-defence made it the best course I have ever attended to date’

moved onto the more advanced self defence contained inside Joon-Gun and Toi-Gye, where even the 3rd Dans were amazed at the variations of defence used.

6. Nice one.

You should be proud! I remember when my eyes were opened to applications. If nothing else, you've changed a lot of peoples thinking. It can only develop further, for better or worse.

7. buck65

buck65 New Member

Any good recommendations on MA books?

Hi group
    wondering if anyone has any good recommendations on MA books or on Taekwondo specifically.
    Have read Stuart Anslows book as well as Marc Tedeschi's overall book on TKD.
    Also have enjoyed some Karate books such as Waking Dragons by Goran Powell and Memoirs of a Karate Fighter by Robb Ralph.
    Have read some of Bruce Lee's training manuals and find them good.
    Nothing better than an inspirational read to motivate me to train thru the hardtimes!!
    Any recommendations welcome.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'd say a book that is pretty much compulsory for any martial artist would have to be:

Angry White Pyjamas:
    A Scrawny Oxford Poet Takes Lessons From The Tokyo Riot Police

Author: Robert Twigger

http://www.amazon.com/Angry-White-Pyjamas-Scrawny-Lessons/dp/0688175376

A really good read. Lots of funny insight and some keen observations on Japan and training Asian martial arts. If more people read this book we'd have far less idiots in martial arts. :p

9. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I'm with Slip on that one, it's well worth a read, even if you didn't already have an interest in martial arts.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Anything by Iain Abernethy. His stuff is Karate based but then so is TKD! Kata applications, drills for using them in class, relaring them to SD etc etc. Throws for Strikers, Arm Locks for all Styles by the same author also excellent. Highly recommended.

Geoff Thompson's stuff also excellent. His Real series, Real Punching, Real Grappling, Real Kicking are all very good, and Dead or Alive is a must have for SD purposes.

Bob Breen's recent A Path to Understanding Fighting is excellent in parts, some excellent drills too, but limited in some sections.

Mark Tedesci's Hapkido and TKD books are expensive but have some interesting stuff in them, the HKD book especially.

That should keep you going for a while :)

Mitch

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee (peace be upon him) - contains a lot of good principles that are equally applicable regardless of your specific art.

12. Martialist4hire

Martialist4hire Valued Member

"The book of five rings" by Musashi translated by Steve Kaufman. Other editions are geared more towards business strategy or intellectual exercises in Japanese translation. This one was translated by a martial artist for martial artists.

13. StuartA

Plus....

Karate-Do - My Way Of Life by Gichin Funakoshi

The Art Of War by Sun Tzu

Living The Martial Way by Forest E Morgan

Hagakure - The Book Of The Samurai by Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Dead Or Alive by Geoff Thompson

Shotokan's Secret by Bruce D. Clayton

All top books and a worthy addition to any collection,

Stuart

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i thought this was a thread about TKD books and magazines :D

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Not trying to step on toes, but the original poster was looking for
    I'd have to second the recommendations above (especially the Geoff Thompson one, but also the rest) for any TKD student out there. Just my opinion though.

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hehehehe was just joking. i thought one :D is enough

17. StuartA

Now you must moderate yourself :rolleyes:

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

and why is that?

19. StuartA

20. Will56

Will56 Valued Member

Books on Kicking

Point me in the right direction if this has been asked before, but can anyone recommend any really good books to help improve my kicking technique and power.
    Need to improve on these so will be hitting the bag a bit more, but i was wondering if there were any books out there that showed exercises specific for each kick?
    As always any help greatly appreciated.