TKD Books/Magazines to read?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Nyghtewynd, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd Valued Member

Is there anything out there that you'd recommend a beginner or just someone who's interested in TKD to read? I picked up a copy of TKT Times this weekend, but it seems mostly oriented to tournament results. Is there anything else out there?

PS: This may deserve its own thread, but I was amazed at the videos offered for sale...that they were REALLY expensive (IMO), and that they were videos and not DVDs. Is there a reason for the price? Is there anything like that that you'd recommend?

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Depends what style of Tae Kwon-Do you happen to study. If you are a WTF member there generally seem to be a lot more books out there on that side of Tae Kwon-Do than on the ITF side.

If you are doing TKD as a traditional art with not much restrictions in sparring (generally ITF) yo might wnt to read the Tao of Jeet Kne Do (Bruce Lee). This is invaluable of all styles including TKD.

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

u should try TKD encyclopedia it's about 16 volume set... awesome manual
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

There is also another version - the one volume ITF "short lexicon"... but if I got to chose, I'd go for the 16 volume one ;)

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Tae Kwon Do Books/Videos-DVD/CD's

I have the Legacy CD rom collection which I absolutely love and refer to quite often (this disc set features the entire 15 volume encyclopedia, full motion video of all 24 patterns viewable in full motion or one move at a time)

There are some other books on the site as well that would recommend if you are ITF or similar

As far as WTF and other TKD-related resources .... this site http://www.turtlepress.com/ has a great selection (some good stuff in the bargain basement also!)

More Here!

You can actually access the Taekwon-Do Encyclopedia HERE ... (left hand side click Encyclopedia)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  6. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

How could I forget to mention the Legacy CD-rom :bang:

I've also got it, but it's still hiding somewhere among my boxes after the last time I moved... Brilliant stuff!

7. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Must see Videos and DVDs

Dear All,

I am a practitioner of the Chang Hon (ITF) patten set! However, I would advise any practitioner of TKD regardless of organization or kwan affiliation to view the films marked by Turtle Press starring Mr. Sang H. Kim.

His kicking tutorials are excellent and applicable to all systems of TKD!

PS...Legacy is also available on DVD and VHS (just a little less info than the CD-Rom) however, they are not as easy to carry around!

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

8. ALPHADEANO

ALPHADEANO U knows it Clart

tkd books

I WOULD RECOMEND Hee Ill Cho's Books. (9th degre)
    His Masters Kicks, and masters Jumping kicks, books are an exelant complement to your kicking training.
    I (when I was training more seriously), followed the exercises in these books and found my kicking came on a long way.
    Plenty of pictures and specific exercioses strenght./stretching for individual kicks.

Hee Ill Cho can Kick!

9. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Wow! I would have imagined there would be more books here.

Richard Chun's - "Tae Kwon Do The Korean Martial Art" is very good

Dr. Sang Kyu Shim's - "The Making of a Martial Artist" out of print, but worth finding

I will add more later because I am at work and can't think of them all - but those are great books.

10. Graifox

Graifox New Member

Can you learn from books? I mean it tells you stuff about how to do things but how do you know if your doing it right?

Or are the books about history or the like?

Sorry for the dumb questions i am just curious.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

we have already discussed this topic in this thread:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13107&highlight=learn+books

don't worry, it's not a dumb question. you can always use the 'search' button above and find topics that are of your interest.

and you pretty much answered the question yourself: you need someone to tell you if what you are doing is right or not, especially if you are a beginner.

12. Graifox

Graifox New Member

13. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I bought his book "The Complete Tae Kwon Do Hyung" first volume, which goes through basic moves and the first 7 forms of ITF. Photos of every move are shown and everything is explained very clearly. I'd really recommend this book to any beginner in ITF taekwondo.

14. BlackDragon

BlackDragon New Member

Since you and I are in the same boat here are some books that might help you.
    Tae kwon do: The state of the art
    By: Master Sung Chul Whang, Master Jung Chul Whang and Brandon Saltz
    Price: US $20.00/CAN $30.00

Tae Kwon do( Updated Edition)(W.T.F. style book)
    By:Yeon Hee Park, Yeon Hwan Park, Jon Gerrard
    Price:US $ 14.95/ CAN $22.95

The Secrets Of Tae kwon do: Principles and Techniques for Beginners
    By: Jennifer Lawler
    Price: US $ 17.95/ CAN $25.95

The Complete Idiot's Guide To: Tae Kwon do
    By: Karen Eden,Keith Yates
    Price: $17.95/CAN $ 24.95

Hope this helps

15. dutch80au

dutch80au New Member

there is also a black belt taekwondo book by yeon hee park, yeon hwan park and jon gerrard. it has all advanced techniques and black belt patterns.

16. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

Books/Magazines

There are quite a lot of good books out there on the subject of Taekwondo. Some of them are out of print and/or hard to find. I recommend the following books.. which i have in my collection:

TAEKWON-DO Encyclopedia 16 volume set by Gen. Choi Hong Hi

Condensed TAEKWON-DO Encyclopendia by Gen. Choi Hong Hi

Kukkiwon Taekwondo Textbook

TAE KWON-DO by B.S. Huan

Tae Kwon Do by Richard Chun

Advancing in Tae Kwon Do by Richard Chun

Tae Guek Hyung W.T.F. by Hee Il Cho

Black Belt Hyung W.T. F. by Hee Il Cho

3 Volume Taekwondo Hyung (ITF) by Hee Il Cho

and there are a few more... I have about 11 more Taekwondo books in my collection..just cant remember them off hand.

As far as magazines go. I have collected every issue of TKD times since it was first printed. Sometimes they have some good stuff in there.

Sabum Steve Hartsock

17. Pocari Neko

Pocari Neko Learner Ninja

Marc Tedeschi - Taekwondo Traditions, Philosophy, Technique. ISBN: 0-8348-0515-4, published by Weatherhill. Big book, but very informative and good (but not always technically perfect) pics for patterns.

Chong Lee - Dynamic Kicks; Advanced Explosive Kicks...

And another one: Secrets of Korean Karate. Goes through techniques quitel carefully that even someone as "exercise stupid" as me can follow. Also has a fair amount of instruction on counter attacks.

Hope this helps.

18. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

Jhoon Rhee books...

If you want a blast from the past.. and want to see how the ITF forms were performed before Gen. Choi updated them with knee-spring, sine-wave or whatever you want to call it, check out Jhoon Rhee's old books.

The first book is Chon-ji of Taekwondo Hyung... ending with Chung-Mu of Taekwondo Hyung. Still very informative. But done the OLD way.

Stevemac1964 likes this.
  19. HitNRun

HitNRun New Member

I agree with Yudanja:

Check out half.com for great buys on used Jhoon Rhee hyung books. They are expensive new, each book covering only 2 forms (except the first which only covers Chon-ji but has a wealth of other information for the beginner). I have them and refer to them all the time. I wish he published books on ITF BB forms.

20. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

Another fantastic TKD book well worth mentioning is:
    Taekwondo: Traditions, Philosophies, Techniques (Marc Tedeschi)

I bought it about a year ago, and its REALLY good - we call it 'the bible' at our house.