tkd and boxing

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by markshawn1, Jan 8, 2003.

1. markshawn1

markshawn1 New Member

is mixing tkd and boxing a good balance.
    i want good legs but also good hands for in fighting and distance fighting.
    or is there something better.

thanks for replys

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I have personally trained in both done both and found it's an excellent combination.

I like the coordination /combinations point of view (from boxing) and learning to guard the head aginast punches (ducking and diving) has improved both spaaring and self-defence IMO.

P.s. Welcome to the site

3. markshawn1

markshawn1 New Member

thanks for the reply
    i stick to what i'm doing then since you say it worked for you.

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

IMHO Boxing doesn't blend much easier in TKD ... because of the stance difference tho i hav used boxing too but it took serious efforts n time, i think for punching, Wing Chun would be better
    -TkdWarrior-

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I agree - but I think it would be better to keep the boxing and swap the TKD for Muay Thai.

Also don't forget that if you wish to be a complete fighter you'll need to learn to grapple too.

And use weapons :D

6. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Interested in reasons why?

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

as far as me i dunno but i had probs even when i started with Muai thai but later changed to TKD(due to problems)i become more of TKDist than MT'ist so i figured it's headache to put up with boxing.
    well MT n boxing combination is good i didn't stated cuz i thought mark want TKD as his kickin art.
    -TkdWarrior-

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Because the structure of Muay Thai will fit better with the structure of Boxing.

9. markshawn1

markshawn1 New Member

i do love tkd and want to keep studying it. but i find i need a balance. everytime someone steps in close not sure what to do.
    i take martial arts for the love of it but at the same time reality says protect yourself.
    grappling i will learn as time passes. i know some people who teach it already spoke to them
    i know mt is great but tkd is in my heart.
    already started boxing but will look into wingchun if i can find somebody who knows it. i do try everything and respect all styles just needed idea what goes well together. didn't want to start learning something and find out latter they don't match at all, even though people tell you they do for the money.
    thanks to all for the advice

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Mark it's better to talk to ur instructor he'll be able to work with u on punching ... otherwise WC n Boxing becomes two complete different Arts...n it'll take lots of effort into studying those..
    -TkdWarrior-

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Large smack on the head for me.