Tips on punching properly?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by prowla, Jul 14, 2008.

1. prowla

prowla Valued Member

We've got a kid in our class who always drops his hand before doing a punch in basics, and it's holding him back from progressing.
    I've tried demonstrating it, and so-on, but you turn your back and he goes straight back into it.

We've got some more who always punch jodan, no matter whether you tell them chudan.
    Again, I've tried explaining that chudan is below shoulder height, but somehow it doesn't seem to register.

Any tips on how to get them to do the right thing?

2. chof

chof Valued Member

you could have them punch from the centerline, have them use the iron ruutan to keep there hands in the center, but thats kung fu and more efficient

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

At the end of the day, it's their responsibility to move forward. If they aren't going to step up to the plate and make their own correction, that's their issue. Not yours.

You can lead a horse to water etc.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Lots of helpful answers so far:rolleyes:

I get kids to think in steps.

So for example, I was teaching side kick recently and trying to get some students to raise the leg ("chamber")then stab it out straight.

First I got them to raise the knee to the appropriate place by having their partner hold their hand as a target for the knee to hit

Then the partner stood with their hands 18" apart and they had to kick in a straight line so their leg ended up through their partners hands by a foot or so, like kicking through a picture frame if you can imagine it.

I was also trying to teach retracting the kick along the line of attack so they pulled the leg back out of their partners hands to chamber and then placed the leg down.

That kind of drill where you break the technique down and let students focus on particular sections of a movement can really help kids, plus it's fun for them trying not to touch their partners hands etc.

Hope that helps.

Mitch

5. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

How much time do they spend punching a target, instead of air?

Maybe you could have them do more work on the speed targets, so you can put the target exactly at the height you want. Or if you have some standing bags, you can tie two bungie cords around them to mark the spots (high/low) they have to hit between. You can have them do the bag work, and maybe a bunch of knuckle pushups (also great for building proper hand/wrist/forearm allignment for punching), either as part of regular training, or as a 'reminder' (i.e., punishment) when they mess up.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Pair with him and jab him in the face every time he does it. Won't take long.

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Beat me to it.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

We were sick of telling my sons training partners (usually adults, he broke other kids) to punch him, now he's older they don't mind so much.

9. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Hmm - that is considered wrong as well...

It is sooo tempting, but not very productive.

That's what I do with my son when I'm trying to get him to keep his guard up!:)

Often it's air.
    The bag work is a good thought, that would fix some of the problems (ie. if your wrist isn't straight, then you're going to hurt it!).
    However, speed targets don't encourage correct technique (IMHO).
    We don't have our kids do knuckle push-ups.

Yep - I'll have a think about that, thanks.
    FYI, I try and tell them that a side kick is just like stamping your feet, but outwards instead of down at the floor.

10. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Here's an idea, don't know if it'll work but it might.

Let yourself be a target.

So for example, tell him that you wont defend yourself if he hits you chudan - but if he goes jodan, block, counter, dump him. Just like with the guard issue - you learn from your mistakes.

The other thing you could probably do it just some simple five step kumite. Just make sure you attack jodan, and after every block make him counter chudan. I've always found it easier to teach people techniques and their associated intricacies when the techniques are actually being used against things. When doing line work the eyes can wander, especially when you're a kid, making you lose all focus! Let the child hit something and I bet he perks right up!

11. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I'm a big fan of that kind of training myself. It works well with roundhouse kicks too. If people can't quite get the hang of it i.e something like they keep dropping their knee below their foot, get them to just chamber the kick and return to the stance. So like doing line work but only going as far as the chamber. You can then see exactly where the issue is if it's a fundamental, and when they're used to keeping their knees up, the kick should extend much more naturally

12. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

A little trick my instructor told me - after they punch to the wrong position, physically shift their hand with yours, and give it a little squeeze when it is in the right position.
    Sounds weird but after doing that a couple of times with each of the kids in my class, they now all punch centre line and correct height!
    Sometimes a little physical feedback is all thats needed.

If that doesnt work, then jab 'em in the face whenever they get it wrong!!:p

13. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I've found that some kids respond better to a hands on approach, they might nod and tell you they get it but sometimes its helpful to physically show them what to do ie grab their wrist and punch with them to show them the technique. Just always make sure to explain the reasoning behind what you are trying to get them to do.

Get him to do the punch on the spot and stand behind/next to him. Physically put a barrier is the space he drops his arm into so that when he is punching he hasn't got the option of dropping the arm.

Is it just the arm or the stance they aren't getting in low enough?

Again some kids respond better to a hands on approach and depending on how it works at your club again physically guide the height of their punches. Set yourself in a wide stance behind them hold onto their fists and do the movement with them, if your hip is turning in they will have to turn theirs if you are punching low they will be forced too. If its in basics plonk yourself in front of them with a focus mitt or tell them to aim for your belt knot, every time they go to hit high intercept it and move it down. If they do a bad run of the hall make them do it again and again and again and again. :p

They will hate you but they will hate the repetition more just make sure to tell them why they have been doing the same basic punch for the last twenty minutes they will soon sort it out.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  14. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Why must people submit my posts whilst I type them :p

It isn't just the kids I've found this tactic works with mind I've taught a few adults who had the verbal instruction block.

15. prowla

prowla Valued Member

It does sound weird, but I might give it a try.

Their fist is above shoulder-height when their punch is fully extended.
    I think it's because everybody is taller than kids, so they punch up towards the imaginary bigger person's stomach.
    But some of those kids are now getting to 6ft tall!
    Even when I put them in front of a mirror, and/or tell them their fist should be below shoulder-height, and/or pair them up, as soon as I turn my back, they're back to the same again.

16. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

Hi there,

Kids have trouble aiming and imagining opponents.. The easiest is to create a target. If kids punch to high, I will hold my hand on his chudan, to create a target on the correct height. After they hit it about 4/5/6 times and I release the hand, most of them tend to remain punching the same height.

Also, don't hold back to move the kid yourself. Kids who really messup I just take their hand and move their limbs myself. It's just easier as visualising.

Visualising is first introduced at school at the age of 8. And many have problems with it for some years.

Especially if you stand horizontally towards the class.. The kid has to rotate your performance at least 90 degrees. This is difficult for many. For this reason, I will show it from the side (horizontal) and afterwards I turn my back to the class, so I will show it from their performance perspective. When some fail and you show some individually, stand next to them in the same direction, not in front.

For lowering the fist you could say that he must think for punching from the elbow... but I dunno if it will work with kids.... It's a common prob though, have even seen shihan do it..

Hope this helps..

Good luck
    .AJ

17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

this is what I would do/have done.

First time you say to keep the guard up after jab, or my punch will come through, second time you don't tell them you just jab through. They learn quick enough.

Get them to drill it in, 1 throws punch combo whilst the other defends, then they come straight back the moment they finish with their own attack.

18. chof

chof Valued Member

you sound like a genius, why no have them do punching kata high , med, low, nose, solar plexus, groin, first punch ends at the groin, then switch sides, the point is mental muscular mecanization, autonomy, you should know this if you are an instructor

19. prowla

prowla Valued Member

No, I'm not a genius (neither, I suspect, are you).
    Yes, I understand that.
    No, the kids don't do it - they always revert to head height.
    Hence the question, and some very useful answers...

20. liero

liero Valued Member

How old are these kids? we have a 4-6 year olds class and most of them screw absolutly everything up, but you keep giving them positive encouragement...so cute, little people not in control of their own bodies yet.