Tips on How Women Can Protect Themselves From Being Victims of Violent Crime

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by KickChick, Oct 21, 2005.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

this has nothing whatsoever to do with martial arts. There are no belts handed out at our classes, no katas, nothing but good training.

Shrug, you're obviously not budging and neither am I. The difference is one opinion is based on 25 incidents outside bars and the other is based on citable research done by many institutions worldwide. I figure folks will come to their own conclusions, no need for me to reiterate.

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Thank you very much for sharing those experiences Melanie! Your second experience is an important example of a self defense situation when you are NOT allowed to go full out on your attacker. Me things that subject is worth a discussion in the main SD thread.

- Matt

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I second that Matt.

Thanks Mel ! I'm wondering what would have happened had you whispered into his ear! :rolleyes: Glad you did what you did...obviously you listened to your intuition and in this case .... it was correct!

4. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

So you placed yourself in danger?

Well, I'm sorry but I don't feel that by avoiding walking along streets or hiding in my bedroom is how I can live my life. People who do that will one day getrun over by a car. The gyms that I go training in are in a bad neighbourhood and unfortunately I do not drive. I know some people who get attacked even more regularly than I do and they are churchgoing, moral people. Do you give the same advice to kids bullied at school, or some ethnic minorities who are racially abused everyday? I think you need to be careful before you criticise someones personal life. My family do worry, but I can't stop it from happening. We live in a world where good guys come last.

No it didn't - you had to have medical attention!!!

I concede this point. If you are in a workplace (especially a mental health clinic, then of course people will come. I expect people there are used to attacks sometimes occurring and have provisions for this

I agree. If someone shows me a knife or gun, and the chance arises to kill them, I would do it. This doesn't mean that the law will go easy on you.
    In the UK, they also look at your martial arts experience and give you a harder time if you have done extensive training

It seems like this forum has become a vent for people's everyday frustrations. I truly have the best intentions for the women on this forum and am talking from experience where I used shouting and got beat, to being silent and concentrating on taking the attacker out.

If you shout for help, your attacker may run away, but more likely he will attempt to silence you. Whether it be covering your mouth or killing you.

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

And if you do not shout for help he does not have to bother trying to silence you, you have done part of his dirty work for him. Mel survived, was not sexualy assaulted so she was saved by shouting even though she needed some medical attention. The experiences of a bar room brawler in his early 20s don't impress anyone here from what I have seen, so why not keep your word and stay out of it please.
    :bang:

6. Playful Giant

No, again, you misunderstand. If you shout, he will take immediate action to silence you (stab you, shoot you). Say nothing and take the opportunity to strike when you can like martial arts should have taught you.

I am not a bar room brawler thankyou, as I have pointed out on numerous occasions. I said I would no longer comment on my disgust at your personal attacks. If you are saying that calling me a 'bar room brawler' is not a personal attack then fine, but for me it is.

It seems that you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. Maybe I insulted you in a previous life or something, I don't know, but if you aren't going to put points across in a sensible way then don't bother posting

7. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Playful Giant,

You said you worked for the Police can I ask in what capacity?

8. adouglasmhor

You fight in bars by your own admision, that makes you a bar room brawler. You keep repeating the same unsubstantiated arguments without anything other than your own stories to back them up.
    We are not talking about a one on one honour match between equals here. We are talking about women who are already under attack using every weapon in their arsenal to escape, not win, escape from danger, if that includes shouting for help, shout for help, we are not talking about someone who gets in brawls in pubs but is not a bar room brawler :rolleyes: but about someone who may be physicaly smaller and weaker than her attacker. Like Mel when she shouted for help, was she stabbed or shot, no. This disproves or counters your wee story doesn't it.

And you did not insult me in a previous life, you insulted me in this one, don't you remember, maybe if you can read back through your own posts you will see what convinced me you are a know it all. Posting coments and instructions to me is hardly likely to make me think you are a good bloke is it?

9. Playful Giant

As stated I review statistics and case files for the Metropolitan. I will not say too much as I do not wish people knowing who I am!!

As I clarified before, I am not a beat officer. I have the job of reviewing cases and gathering intelligence. I used to work on crime prevention (security alarms, protection for women, etc).

I hope this helps

10. Lord Spooky

You're a Police officer though? yeah?

Cheers for the response I dont want to pry just trying to get a feel for where your coming from!

Ta

11. adouglasmhor

A police officer who fights in pubs and gets attacked in the street of duty, of course.

12. Playful Giant

No I'm a civilian. I couldn't be a police officer - I have a tatoo.

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Is that what is called a 'police civilian'?

14. Lord Spooky

ok hmm should I ask where :D :D and of what. :D

15. Playful Giant

Its a chinese symbol which translates to 'Kill The Good', no I'm joking.

It's on my shoulder blade and it is a katana with blood on it.

16. Lord Spooky

oh right hmm shame you couldn't get in with that I would of thought it would be ok on your back i.e. under a uniform and IMHO it's not really offensive for example racially, sexually etc although I suppose it could be seen as violent.

What did you do with regards to protection for women in your job role?

17. Playful Giant

It was seen as offensive (you are allowed, knives, guns, but not with blood on them!!)

I helped advise them on security in the home (alarms, locks, etc) as well as supplying them with leaflets (victim support numbers etc). The rest of the job was stats

18. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

I'm not aware that having a Tattoo in a area normally covered by uniform can stop you from entering the police force. Particularly as my mate whose an A.R.T. (S.W.A.T.for you americans) officer has got a big welsh dragon on his upper arm and several of his team members have tattos as well.

19. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Oops cross posts

20. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

I would have thought that there is a good chance that the motivation and tactics being used differ graetly depending on the sex of the attacker.

I would imagine there are 3 main types of basis's for attack.

The majority are going to be based on a financial reward for the attacker, in which case I woudl say that the best reaction is to try and keep you both calm and comply with their wishes, This type probably occurs to both sexes and is based more on the attackers view of the victim rather than their sex.

Then there's the ego/fight based attacks, this is probably more common when drink etc is involved and I imagine is usually between people of the same sex, ie both male. This situation may be verbally defused, but if not is more likely to result in a need to act in self defense as your under attack rather than them wanting some cash etc, in this case the reward is in the actual attack itself.

Thirdly, I imagine there are a group of attacks that only usually occur against women, mainly sexual in nature. I imagine the actual mechanism in the attack is very different in type to the others, maybe involving some attempts to control and move the victim to a more secluded spot. This is in some ways similar to the ego based attack, but the context, method etc will differ.

Obviously there are going to be other types but these would seem to be the 3 main instigators for attacks. In my mind it's important to be able to recognise the motivation behind the attack in order to know how to deal with it.

These are just my thoughts, and may be well off the mark. What does everyone think.