Tips on how to punch harder? which muscles generate the most punching power

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jonjones229, Jan 13, 2019.

1. jonjones229

jonjones229 Banned Banned

I have done quite a lot of research and watched lots of videos on how to punch harder.

From what I have learnt, technique and speed is probably more important than strength. Forearm grip and accuracy is also important.

Now I want to know which muscle groups are responsible for generating the most punching power to KO someone.
    I have heard lots of different answers

-legs - power is generated from the legs. Lots of boxers like Tyson had huge powerful legs so i agree big legs are needed for great power
    -shoulders - broader shoulders usually have more snap meaning more power generated?
    -back
    -How about forearms, biceps, triceps, chest? Dont know too much if those help

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

There's not a great deal of punching in my style, but with the very specific goal of increasing punching power I'd expect work from the ground up in order of priority. Legs ground you, make your stance effective, drive your movement for getting into range and allow you to generate power with all sorts of movements. Core strength reinforces your structure and allows easier transmission of power from legs to upper body. Shoulders allow you to project force from your core into your arms, and chest muscles will let you absorb some of the recoil when you make contact.

Arm muscles will have some impact on the strength of certain strikes, but I expect this is much lower down the priority list compared to everything else above. On the other hand, having good arm muscles will certainly assist with both grappling and blocking, so overlooking these would potentially be a mistake.

In summary, work the whole body! Based of course on my entirely non-expert opinion on both punching and working out.

Grond likes this.
  3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

For me , legs and hips generate power , arms are more about speed.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

yes, definitely legs, hips have the primary power generation, shoulders and arms need strength also, but they contribute to accuracy and structure for the force generation.

You also have to take into account that you can have a punch that generates a massive amount of power, which doesn't feel as powerful as a punch that is timed and accurate.
    You still need power in the latter, but when and where you hit can multiply the power you have immensely.

Mitch and Grond like this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's pretty much all about getting the the technique down.

Grond likes this.
  6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I think everyone here is correct, most especially the parts about whole body movement. The key to powerful hits is putting as much weight behind it as possible. Name a punch, the strongest jabs, cross, hooks, uppercuts, are the ones done with the whole body and good agile footwork with the right timing. Other than that, lifting weights, drilling, bagwork etc supplements any kind of technique you learn. If you look at most good boxers, they don't worry so much about which part of the body makes them punch harder, they train everything into a whole and it comes together.

Watch some Tyson videos to see how he punches with his whole body with a speed hard to believe, and then watch his training videos to see how he got there. It's not really complicated, it just takes a lot of work.

axelb and Mitch like this.
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Watch almost any video of someone like Tyson. Really watch.

There are a ton of things happening; angles, power, ferocity, yadda yadda yadda.

But some things are clear. The movements are whole body movements, the legs and hips drive them and they usually torque.

More than that they are fast. I mean superhumanly fast, whilst still maintaining that movement.

So the power for a punch comes often from the speed of the leg and body movement, everything else contributes, but it starts from there.

This is why people claiming, "incredible punching speed" are generally rubbish. They can move their hands fast, but have missed the whole mechanics of punching.

axelb and Grond like this.