tips for blocking

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Nrv4evr, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

anybody got an effective way of defending a boxing combo? i know this is noobish, but i sparred with a kickboxer last week. he nearly smashed my skull in; i was just barely blocking him. just wondering if anyone's got some tips, especially for how to block roundhouse punches. :confused: preferably not :woo:

2. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

Try not to get in the way of his fist...

If he's hooking to your head, bend your arm against the side of the head so your bicep is in line with your jaw, and your wrist or hand is over your ear.

That's all I got.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't block a boxer- you can't. Action will 9 out of 10 times beat reaction

Try and cover (watch a boxer to see how they block punches by pulling their guard tight) or parry and move at the same time.

4. shinguards

shinguards Valued Member

remember blocking with your head may be considered dangerous...

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

LOL! So is the famous "intercepting nuts" technique...

6. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Nrv4evr, classical blocks rarely work in boxing. If you do them you'll probably get hit. Here's what you can do though, porvided that you can at least see where the punch is coming from:

1. Cover up. You get hit but you minimize the damage.
    2. Parry. You try to deflect the blow from its intended path.
    3. Stop hit. You actually go for the arm that's coming at you or go at him first.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2004
  7. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

thx for the ideas so far. another one would be to dodge the punch, pull the arm toward you, and knee 'em in the ribs. dunno if it'd work. if anyone is reckless enough to try, mind telling me how it went?

8. Musashi Kyo

Musashi Kyo New Member

I think most boxers fight square to the opponent, try side stepping to disable the back hand and watch out for that uppercut thats a sneaky punch.