Tips for better balance???

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by LowBlowJoe, Feb 19, 2004.

1. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

Hi every one long time no see

i like the no layout for the site!

i am in on concern of my balancing.

What are some tips that you guys have to help me with my balance?

Thanks a bunch

2. shinguards

shinguards Valued Member

hold a long pole horizontally and don't look down!

3. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

stand on one foot (time yourself and progress)

keep your foot up and kick without touching the ground (do reps of it and improve)

kick really slow and hold it out and slowing chamber the kick back

Take up some ballet (j/k) Would help with balance and getting women if they don't think you are gay.

yoga could help, but I would only go for the women.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  4. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

3 months of tai chi would give you a good understanding of balance that you could bring to anything.

5. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Sparring on benches is pretty good, too:D

6. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Well, yes. But there's a better way than enrolling in a tai chi class. The simple solution is to practice the horse and rooted stance and do the karate step or the crossing step. The idea in he karate step (sorry, I have no better name for it) is to walk forward while making sure your center of mass moves in a roughly straight line forward. This drill will give you added strength in the legs while giving you the instinct to keep your balance.

A popular method in boxing is to tie an elastic string with a certain slack to your feet for maintaining dynamic balance. The premise here is that you have achieved dynamic if you can hit powerfully without destroying the string. An alternative method is to get a used tire, lay it on its side, then practice your techniques on it.

7. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

Oh wow didnt no you guys would reply so fast..

Thanks for the replys i tryed them out (at least kenpo kickers one) and it seems like if i do it long enough it will help

Another thing i am doing is jumping rope on one foot while moving around and jumping on the tranpolein with one leg...

Thanks guys

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

In bruce's book tao of jeet kune do he mentions to stand on one foot as often as you can. In tkd this is a common practice for balance and has helped me. Heh, if you close your eyes your balance gets off wacked. It may be a mental thing as well as muscles in your legs. What I mentioned does take a little time for mental and physical devolpement. Most things do. You should notice it fast if you train hard. Jump roping is great. This is required for a belt in our tkd system. Bruce also mentions that in his book for exercises. I jump rope changing feet somtimes for fun :) . Not sure if it has a huge impact on anything.

ps I mentioned dancers as a joke but they have the strong legs and great balance. You may want to check out what they do for balance. I also think gymnastics may be something to look at for exercises. Don't gotta take the crap but worth a look.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  9. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

ok i see

I think it is more of a mental thing.... i tried it a few times and once i imagined my self medatating on the beach with both feet.... and i could stay up longer

10. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

You said this in a previous post LowBloeJoe:

Kenpo Kicker has a post that reads:

Maybe good for the demonstartions but not very useful when somebody sweeps your leg.

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

uhhh, not in sparring bud. I am talking about standing on one foot for the sake of standing :) . Standing on one foot in sparring or fighting has no purpose. It is drill work to improve your balance. You can do this anywhere too. In public if you do not care if ppl think your a little wierd, lol (I don't) Bruce's book mentions it as well as one of the exercises to do.

Balance is both mental and physical. For most ppl the mental part is the hardest.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  12. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

While standing on one leg, bend your supporting leg knee for improved balance.

13. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

OK. But standing on one foot will not help you develop the instinct to keep your balance when it is challenged by situations that happen i everyday life (like stepping on a banana peel).
    Practicing those deep stances (wide or short) actually does help balance. And you know what? Contrary to what JKD people say, doing katas actually help you get that instinct for balance.

14. smally

smally New Member

i just started kickboxing not good in it yet so i cant give u advice on that but balance yep i can give u advice on that
    add 3 exercises in you're regimen
    1)handstand 10 minutes just for core balance
    2)pistols(search the web for them) perfect exercise for the leg balance
    u need as a kickboxer THE exercise
    3)try kicks on one leg and keep kicking without setting the feet on the ground
    This is my advice but most of it was told already by the rest just dont forget the pistols :)

15. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Yeah, that works great. I actually did that today :) . What are pistols that is a broad search on the web?

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

try adopting a reverse fencing stance (or a fencing stance if you want to lead off with your dominant leg). the old saber fencing stance (not so 90 degrees and the body leaning slightly forward) helps.

funny anecdote. brother nasty was trying to learn fencing (dominant foot lead) and he couldn't get it. so finally, i told him to get a left handed weapon and told him to adopt his kickboxing stance. he got it! and he cleaned house in the novice tournament.