Tips for a hobby runner?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Choiben, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Choiben

Choiben New Member

HI Guys,

I would appreciate some tips from more experienced runners on MAP. My routine at the moment is:

3 times a week at around 05.30 AM have a 30 minute run at a good pace (I'd say a tempo run pace), I mix it up with 6 20 second sprints evry five minutes.

I know i am meant to have something small to eat an hour before i run but i really dont have time, I have a small cup of black coffee and head out.

So far it is making a real difference to my level of fitness more than ever before.

My question is what if anything would you change or alter for me?

Ta

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would be looking to replicate the intense action combined with short periods of rest (if that's the right word) that ring fighting gives you.

You can do fartlek, which is a Swedish word meaning "with speed".

If you road run you can do the first mile to warm up, then sprint, walk, jog between lamp posts.

Sprint between the first two lamp posts (or trees/landmarks if you run in a park), walk between the next two, then finally jog between the next two and continue that cycle.

I like this because it is intense bursts of energy, which depending on your fitness, takes you anaerobic with the sprints, then back down to aerobic with the walking and jogging.

Over time it'll take longer to go anaerobic because your fitness win increase.

I have a park near me with a line of 16 trees all about 10 metres apart.

I start at the beginning and sprint the length of all 16 trees and walk back to the 15th tree.
    I then sprint the length of the 15 trees and walk back to the 14th and so on.
    By the end I only have one 10 metre length to sprint.

There are many options, but versions of the above will help keep things varied.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Running is like everything else, you have to push yourself a little more each time or you won't get benefits, you'll plateau. But there's a million different theories about running as there are about lifting weights or doing martial arts.

Why not log your runs and use the info to push yourself a little faster or further each time? there's plenty of running apps if you have a fancy phone that make life easy.

I'd mix up your runs so you are building speed, endurance and conditioning. you don't have to do intervals all the time. I think once or twice a week is enough. If you're running 3 times a week, you could do:

1 x 20/30 mins (or about 3/5 k)
    1 x 60 mins (or about 10 k)
    1 x interval / fartlek / hill sprints. You could change those every week.

Don't be afraid to mix your runs up. You could even do something like this:

Week 1

1 x 20 mins for distance
    1 x 60 mins for distance
    1 x Interval runs

Week 2

1 x 3 k for time
    1 x 5 k for time
    1 x Fartlek

And mess around with timed runs and distance runs the next week.

Week 3

1 x 5 k for time or an interval run
    1 x 45 mins for distance
    1 x light fun run (whatever).

(I hope that makes sense - I know what to do, but not to good at explaining it to other people).

Fartlek, which means "speed play" in Swedish (Tsk, tsk, Simon) doesn't have to be so structured, although it can be. It was as much about developing race strategy as it was developing endurance and speed.

You can just go for a run and mix up speeds depending on how you feel and how your heart rate is (See the first link Simon posted). You might jog, sprint, walk, run fast, sprint, walk, sprint and so on based around your heart rate or pick random points to run to. It's kinda hard to figure out at the start but with experience, you'll get the hang of it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  5. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I would make sure I'd have good shoes. Go to a place where they put your foot on a scanning mat and record video of you on a threadmill to see if your feet are aligned right.

If you don't, then you risk not finding out if you have a problem until your knees or ankles are busted.

The arches of my feet are too high, which means that they don't touch the insoles in the middle. As a result, the insides of my ankles slant inwards when I run. And I never knew this. When I was 24, tendons in my knee were really inflamed due to stress from running. After I healed I tried to start running again several time but my left knee always got hurt way too much.

Only now, more than 10 years later, did a competent person in a sports shop see what was wrong. He made some custom insoles (total cost 7$) which are higher in the middle, and now I can run 10 km as long as I stay on soft underground.

I have the cardio to run a half marathon, but my knees will not allow me to do more than 10 km or run on asphalt. So if you like running, make sure that you get someone qualified to make sure you have the right shoes. You may regret it a lot if you don't.

6. Choiben

Choiben New Member

Thanks all for the tips, I have some good shoes so thats not a problem. No knee issues so far, I am slightly overweight but I will be at the right weight for more intence running in a few weeks.

I like the sound of fartlek training, less structured and not letting your body get too used to the routine.

I do have a nice hill nearby for hill sprints; would you recomend a fartlek run a week, a hill sprint run a week and a longer tempo run at the weekend?

7. Bozza Bostik

Again, there's a million theories.

If you're not that experienced, i'd do only one of them a week. When you're in better shape you could do two. But that's just me....and you might be there already.

Edit: It depends on your aims as well. The title of the thread you describe yourself as a hobby runner. If you enjoy running as a hobby and not just for the cardio benefits for martial arts, you could prioritze that aspect. I honestly think too many people who run as a hobby spend too much time worrying about HIIT etc etc...there's nothing wrong with just going out for a run of the distance you enjoy.

If you're aim is to be in better shape, then focus a little more on HIIT runs, hils, fartlek etc etc.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  8. Choiben

Choiben New Member

Running is a hobby but i really do want to get fitter as well, I only train in martial arts twice a week so I want to push my running more.

I like adding speedwork of some sort into my runs to break them up a bit and stop me from getting bored, I will probably change one day a week for more intervals and go longer at the weekend.

What are your typical routines if you dont mind me asking? I'd just like a few ideas for the future...

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd join a running forum :D

10. Bozza Bostik

I don't really have a routine at the moment. I've had some weird stomach problems for a while so I tend to just run a gentle 3 k now and again..usually in a loop around the house. It's easy to get to the toilet that way! :D

Before that I would mix it up and do different things each time. A bit like the example I gave a few posts up.

Chadderz advice is excellent. If you want to know about running, ask runners!

11. Choiben

Choiben New Member

Ha ha it's all so obvious now.... :)

12. Choiben

Choiben New Member

I know what you mean about stomach problems, I get problems sometimes though it hasn't caused any issues with my training.

I'll have a look at some running forums; I just thought I'd ask my fellow martial artists first.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's one big house you live in!

14. Bozza Bostik

To be honest...i don't run around the grounds myself, I get the staff to do it for me. I leave that kind of nonsense for the plebs.