Timmy's healthy recipes part 1 - Sweet Chilli Pie

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Timmy Boy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

These days I'm more into strength training than martial arts, and I've been trying to streamline my diet accordingly. However, as I also like to cook as a hobby, I thought I'd use my imagination to come with something a bit more interesting than turkey breast omelettes.

Enter the Sweet Chilli Squatter's Pie!

[​IMG]

As you can see, I've eaten quite a bit of it already.

This recipe is basically a mixture of chilli con carne and shepherd's pie. It's a tasty but low-GI dish full of protein and vegetables. It's also quite cheap and easy to make. And not a simple carb in sight! I like to make one giant pie and stick it in the fridge, then reheat bits of it when I come home from work/training.

Ingredients:

*1 kg lean minced beef
    *1 kg sweet potatoes
    *2 medium onions
    *3 cloves of garlic
    *1 tbsp vegetable oil
    *500ml beef stock
    *Splash of Worcestershire sauce
    *2 carrots
    *4 celery sticks
    ***** of butter
    *1 tin red kidney beans, drained
    *2 tsps cumin
    *1 fresh red chilli
    *1 tbsp dried oregano
    *2 tsps hot chilli powder
    *Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1. Season the mince, then brown it in batches in a big casserole dish over a high heat. Remove each batch to a plate and drain.
    2. Peel and chop up your onions, carrots, celery, chilli and garlic.
    3. When the mince is all browned, sweat your carrots, onions and celery in the residual fat from the mince. Once they've softened, add your chilli, oregano and garlic and cook until it's fragrant, which should take 30 seconds. Then chuck in your powdered spices and cook them out for about 10 seconds until they're fragrant.
    4. Chuck your beef mince back in and mix everything together, then add the drained kidney beans and beef stock (along with a splash of Worcestershire sauce) and simmer for 1.5-2 hours until the mixture thickens. I know this is a fair while, but you can work on your ground game in the meantime. If any scum forms on the surface, just spoon it off or sponge it off with kitchen roll.
    5. Meanwhile, peel and chop your sweet potatoes, then boil them for about 20 minutes until they're cooked through. Season, add butter and mash. Leave out the butter if you're really worried about it.
    6. Ladle/pour the meaty stew into a pie dish and spread the sweet potato mash on top. Don't worry if the sauce looks slightly runny at this stage - the sweet potato will thicken it. Stick it in the oven on 180 for 30 minutes until it's crispy on top.

What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Sounds delicious! :)

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its pretty much what I do too.
    Altho I have been meaning to do a Sweet Potato and white potato mix topping

Pipe it on 50/50

:)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have a beef casserole slow cooking at home as we speak. :)
    Beef, onions, carrots, stock, rosemary, thyme and a bay leaf. Some spuds ready to boil and mash on the hob. Proper winter grub. :)

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Dates, almond butter, cocoa powder. Mix then freeze.