Time to get my act together.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TheMadhoose, Jul 22, 2010.

1. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

OK im setting myself a goal to get my ass in gear and ready to get my 4th Degree in Taekwon-Do. Whadya think is 3 years a respectable time frame to get my stamina, flexability and the technical aspects sorted out having moved from a non sin wave style that only used 1 pattern per black belt grade to a sinwave group using the proper 24 pattern system? (Well 25 realy cos we do Ko-Dang & Juche)

2. RagingDelirium

RagingDelirium Valued Member

good question, having also moved from a non sin wave style that only used 1 pattern per coloured belt grade to a sinwave group.
    Im figuring at least 6months to 9months before I am likely start thinking about grading again.

As for going the big 4th degree, in only 3 yrs, and really getting sine wave down, i think you might be pushing it, but feel free to prove me wrong

3. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

Train hard everyday, you should be fine. Good luck.

4. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

1st the minimum waiting time between 3rd & 4th Dan is 3 years. I am assuming that you have already time in rank as a 3rd Dan. So meeting the minimum time required should not be a problem.
    The problem may be the switch to a new way of moving & learning some new patterns. This is all doable if you train hard, have good instruction, solid mentors & someone that can explain the theory behind SW & the ITF TKD ToP. I think that if you can more fully understand the reasoning after having it explained in a deep & insightful manner by a qualified individual(s) it will help a lot.
    Most people & one already weighed in on this in an above post reply, when they understand SW & how it fits in the original TK-D ToP, they often look back & say - How did I do it that way! When looking at old videos we now have a good & hearty laugh
    Good luck.
    Remember the miracle of TKD. It took place in 1981, 7 months, from feb. to Sept. when GM Park Jung Tae, then an ITF 7th degree master & Chairman of the ITF Instruction Committee, lived in nK, teaching the 1st class of nK TKD instructors. They were KukSul seniors & about 30 of them were graduated to 3rd dan & 4th dan

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

A few I have known to reach 4th level had taken 5-6 years.

6. paddy ska

paddy ska Valued Member

I went to school in Bellshill and that neck of the woods is clever!! so it'll be a doddle.

On a Sunday at 3:30 after our classes in Riddrie, we spend an hour and a bit just going through all our patterns, totally informal, from Chon-ji all the way up. feel free to jump along if you want some practise.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Go for it Madhoose. :)

Mitch

8. TheMadhoose

I m fae larkhall paddy were way smarter than your average bellshillian. :cool:
    Thanks for the invite but we have GTUK Squad/blackbelt training on sundays

Spoken like a true scot Mitch :cool:

GTUK is so radicaly different to where i was before my heads full of broken bottles with the influx of of all this technical stuff in patterns. Saying that i thought the same at white belt. Cheers guys

9. paddy ska

paddy ska Valued Member

Haw, ah went tae school in Bellshill, but am fae Viewpark!! Brains ae Britain!!
    We left the TAGB and went ITF and sine wave, it took us a good year or more to get it without thinking, so bear with it...

That's cool, tell Mr Condie to get some more gigs on!!

10. TheMadhoose

Your admitting being fae viewpark? wow most people i know from there claim to be from Tannochside.

Ive not heard Mr Condies band yet, they any good?

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Oh God it's turned into Trainspotting with leg action.
    Good luck. 3 years can be a long or a short time depending on how you use it. Have you got a plan/schedule?

12. paddy ska

paddy ska Valued Member

Yeah, a bit mod, ska and punky influences.......

13. TheMadhoose

I always have a plan, its generaly not usualy well thought out granted and tends to end up with an oops.... Nah seriously as far as a taraining schedule goes whenever i can train ill train and try to fit the stretching in between.

14. Alcatraz

Alcatraz Valued Member

I'm a wee bit surprised that GTUK has went down the sine-wave route.

Back in the early 1990's I lived down in Peterborough, and my buddy, Clifton Findley and I used to help train the Stamford GTF (as it was back then) dojang to compete on the Open Circuit along with Stamford GTF instructor, and another old friend, Dave Mears, as Peterborough Freestyle was rather sucessful in that field.

I remember going out for dinner one evening with Clifton, Dave Mears, a very young teenage Richard Auciellio, and Roy Oldham at Mr. Pangs Chinese restaurant in Stamford.

Mr Oldham (who is a REALLY nice guy) told us why he left both the UKTA and the TAGB to form what was orginally called Mid-West Taekwondo (what is now GTUK), because he felt that Taekwondo, whether ITF or WTF was unique to the individual, and he couldn't understand groups dictating one way being right over another.

Anyhoo, that's my trip down memory lane.

15. RagingDelirium

RagingDelirium Valued Member

since no one has mentioned it, you might want to read the recent totalTKD magazines as they had some good articles on sine wave

16. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

One piece of advice for the GTUK 4th degree grading...practice your flying kick breaking kicks