time requirement

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by neryo_tkd, Jan 31, 2008.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i was reading the articles about grading on the Kukkiwon website but i couldn't find how much time should pass between your grading for the last colored belt and your black belt grading. i would like to hear the opinion of the people who train WTF.

2. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

I have always thought 6 months.

Dave O.

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hmm, can you support it with an article online?

4. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

The Kukkiwon has no official stance about time between 1st gup to 1st dan, just like they have no official stance on anything pre-1st dan. It's left up to the Instructors to decide.

5. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

"hmm, can you support it with an article online?"

Nope, thats why I said always thought. Due to moving around the country for work I have had the pleasure of going from white to 1st gup bo black 4 times. Under some top rated Masters as well. Just going by my more than average almost expertise experience in this case.

Even in these cases there were folks ready in 4 months so its not in stone.

Again just what I have seen in the 20 years of practicing.
    2-3 months per gup. 6 months last gup to dan. Dan ranks should match years 4th dan= 4 years.

Of course this complicates the sudden deluge of 7th dans.

Cheers,
    Dave O.

6. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i've already seen that, but does that mean that one can test for the black belt 2 months after getting 1st gup, or 6 months, or 9 months....?

8. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Yes, it's totally up to the Instructor.

9. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Speaking only for our school, we test every 3 months up to Red/Double tip. Kids have to weight 1 year before they are able to test for first Poom and Adults, 6 months.

10. mangoman

mangoman Valued Member

LamaTKD is correct. As long as I know the proper curriculum, if I start class today, I can theoretically test for 1st Dan tomorrow.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

no, she is not completely right. i checked with two federations (two countries) and one year has to pass between 1 gup and 1 dan

12. Paul Oxtoby

Paul Oxtoby Valued Member

Its always been 6 months between 1st kup and taking your Black Belt grading in the associations I have been with.

13. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

You asked particularly about the Kukkiwon itself (or so I thought), and as far as they are concerned, there's no regulation for any of the gup levels - not even a set curriculum or belt coloring set.

Federations under the Kukkiwon, however, have the authority to add additional regulations as they choose, within their sphere of influence.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I don't know for sure. I have never seen anything in writing from Kukkiwon (books or online) that mention a "time in grade" from 1st geup to 1st dan. As a school that offers Kukkiwon certification, we've never been required to "prove" time in grade for recommended promotion to 1st dan either. As a student who tested for 1st and 2nd dan in Korea I was never aware of any minimum time between 1st geup and 1st dan (in fact I know some military groups and some schools that will go from white belt to 1st dan in a year).

In my opinion, as a school we generally offer the opportunity of testing very 2-3 months and for a student who attends regularly and makes good progress, they can earn their 1st geup in 2.5 to 3 years generally. From 1st geup to 1st dan our school has a minimum wait time of 6 months. After 6 months we may hold a pre-test (closed testing, longer and more in depth than the formal dan test) to evaluate their progress. If they look "great" then we schedule a formal dan test. So, long story short, we enforce a wait time of "at least" 6 months between 1st geup and 1st dan... although we've never been informed by Kukkiwon of any such regulations.

15. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I've always known it to be a 6 month minimum wait between 1st gup and 1st Dan. I'm sure I remember reading this as a suggested guidline on the Kukkiwon site back when it was in its old layout (the white one with the image of the archway at the top), and a minimum of 3 months between other gup ranks. I could be hideously wrong on this though, so don't hold me to it, but its what I believe.

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

thanx for your answers everyone :)

17. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

Your welcome,
    but now the real question is whats up? What sparked the conversation?

Dave O.