Tiger victim drinking, admitted taunting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by oldshadow, Jan 18, 2008.

1. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

I really don’t feel any sympathy for any of these guys. In fact it sounds like they kind of got what they deserved.
    It is sad they had to kill the tiger. Too bad they couldn’t just get it back in the enclosure. :(
    In our stupid justice system they will most likely sue and some dumb jury will give them big money.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/18/tiger.attack.ap/index.html

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I agree, too bad for the tiger. The other two should have followed the first.

3. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

I have to disagree, I believe that whilst these guys were being idiots, they didn't have to die as a result.

Its extremely sad that anyone was killed and sad that the tiger was killed.

4. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

I'm sorry, but anyone who's dumb enough to taunt a predator larger, faster, & meaner than them deserves what they get! The tiger was only doing what it's instincts said it should... stupid prey dangles itself in front of you, you lunch it!

5. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

So very true. I guess Ron White was wrong, there is a cure for Stupid, called natural selection. :D

6. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

I completely understand your point of view, I am not putting the tiger in the wrong, the tiger pretty much did what tigers do, eat stuff.

However then to follow on and say these deserved it I think is too far, people make mistakes such as getting drunk and high and going to a zoo, but do these people deserve to die?

7. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

This may be a bit pedantic, but do they deserve to make mistakes without consequence? The truth is, they got what they asked for. I.E. They got what they deserved. They qualified themselves for the consequence through their own actions..... Just my opinion though....

8. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

IMO... yes. It wasn't just a dumb move, it was a really really REALLY dumb move - that had very serious consequences. The biggest problem we face today is that we've created a world without consequence, and this is the result - people who think they can do whatever they want, with little to no repercussions.

Natural Selection needs to make a come-back! It may be harsh, but we're screwed without it!

9. donb

donb restless spirit

IMO, regardless of what this kids have done (and i agree that they deserved it), there should still be some safeguard for the public with this tiger since, if it was a baby crying and triggered an attack from the tiger, would you feel sorry for the tiger?

10. february

february Valued Member

Hmmm yeah....young person deserves death for taunting a Tiger. Let's try telling that to the family of the kid who died.

Idiotic? Yes.

Deserving of punishment by death? No.

Funny that when a US soldier is killed, trying to kill other human beings in Iraq, he's a hero....but a kid geting drunk and agitating a tiger, well yeah lets face it, he deserves to die doesn't he? :rolleyes:

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Shouldn't have been able to have happened in this day 'n' age. Profit for the zoo killed that kid and the tiger.

12. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

I agree that the zoo's not entirely blameless here, but come on.

Here, lets go smoke pot & drink some vodka, and then go to the zoo and hang around dangerous animals.... oo, even better, lets go p*** off one of natures greatest predators...

I'm sorry, I just can't work up the emo to feel bad for him.

13. february

february Valued Member

It's not about working up emotions to feel bad for them - emotions don't really come into it. It's about recognising that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I mean c'mon, this kid died. People can be idiots and make incredibly stupid mistakes, that doesn't mean they deserve to die for it.

14. Moi

I'm not saying I'm feeling bad for the idiot. He might have a mother that's missing him though.

He shouldn't have been able to get near that tiger though.

Basic health and safety, if the effect is death and the probibility is reasonable high then you have to do as much as is reasonably possible to safeguard the threat.

The zoo failed

15. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

My librarian's last name is Dhaliwal :p. No relation lol.

16. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

I think we're basically on the same page here...

....except I still think none of it would've happened it they hadn't decided to be such eejits. My opinion tho.

17. Moi

I jumped into a rhino enclosure when i was younger to rescue an expensive zoo guide. God those things are quick.

18. Moi

A business should take into account these things and protect againt them.

It may be a young male thing but zoos and beer seem to work real well together. I doubt it's that uncommon.

19. february

february Valued Member

Glad you made it out of there in one piece MD, unless there are any missing arms/legs/testicles we should or shouldn't know about.... ;)

20. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Ok, lets see...

Cause: I taunt an animal that's more than twice my size, has teeth and claws designed to rip flesh, is ridiculously fast, and is now incredibly peeved that I've been teasing it...

Effect: Said animal lunches me.

It's not about crime & punishment, it's about Natural Law and the Law of Consequence. Yes, he died. Yes, it's sad - but the tiger died too, and it did nothing wrong - all it did was act the way it's instinct told it to. Which is more than can be said for the three morons who were taunting it. Personally, I think it's sadder that the tiger was killed than that the kid died. Call me callous, but that's how I feel.