Thumb up or down when throwing a hook?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MyFitteLife Ninja, Sep 9, 2022.

1. MyFitteLife Ninja

MyFitteLife Ninja New Member

I put this to the test with actual data. Which do you think won and why? I'll post the results after we get a few replies :)
    Link removed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2022
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Last warning.

We don't allow links back to personal sites.

3. MyFitteLife Ninja

MyFitteLife Ninja New Member

Can I upload the video directly here?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You can as long as there are no links back to personal sites, or if it's intended as an advert.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I can tell you one thing for certain...whatever way of throwing the hook comes out "on top" you can find incredibly experienced boxers and trainers who favour the other way.
    The only true answer is to throw the hook in the way that works for you.

David Harrison, aaradia and Xue Sheng like this.
  6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yea.. I mix it up to be fair. they feel different enough to both be worthwhile. don't see much point in having a favourite per se.
    I probably tend to hold my hands a little more vertically, so the turning over I like, it adds something to the strike - like solidIty and force, that corkscrew effect. but it also feels like it takes away some speed, so sometimes I just like to hook with my hands as they are, so to speak. No big deal..

It can be dependent on how wide the hook may (need to) be and how much time there is to land accurately. It's getting into minutiae; both are good. How you might arrive at some "result" is beyond me..

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It all depends on where the target is in relation to your shoulder, the angle of the target, and if there is anything in-between your fist and the target.

Other than that I feel it's best to keep your radius and ulna as parallel as possible.

Smitfire is right though. There are high level fighters who will knock you out with whatever you think is "wrong".

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've tried both ways but for whatever reason (more than likely my incompetence) "thumb down" just doesn't feel as solid or safe as "thumb in".
    For me.
    With thumb in I feel I can align the fist with the target better and stabilise the hand and forearm.
    With thumb down I often tweak my wrist.
    YMMV.
    Roy Jones Jnr throws it like that so it must be right!

9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This is a timeless clip, and I often think about it when receiving hooks.